So what has British Eventing done wrong?

millitiger

Visit site
To be fair, the Blair one doesn't sound like an issue with BE directly.
It sounds like they plan to rewild or similar which isn't possible with 10,000's of people and quads and horses ripping around it and all of the mowing required etc.
If it was just the eventing / BE that was a problem I assume they would keep the SJ and Prince Phillip and County Fair aspect going?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Gutted about Blair. BUT read the statement - this is to do with global change in land management - something I think I've rattled on about quite a lot in reference to the fact that big estate eventing is probably not something that will last for the long term (and there's probably very little that BE can do about that).

"A statement from the event said that the farmland where it is held “is increasing its involvement in regenerative agriculture and in future the land will require to be managed all year round in a way that is in accordance with its environmental aims”.
Actually blame Brexit. This is due to the change in rural payments. But it’s ok because we have control of our borders now. The far reaching impact of Brexit has extended far even into equestrian as it was always going to, because the consequences of Brexit are scarily far reaching but most of the general population had no idea of this because take no time to educate themselves as been used to free trade and relaxed borders since 1970s.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Why would a landowner want to get their estate trashed every time an event is put on? And risk it getting called off due to poor weather anyway.

The old guard who put on the big events for the love of the sport are dwindling away. It’s hard commercial decisions now. No ‘excuse’ needed.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
The are still heavily advertising on FB so I guess so.
Last year Chatsworth went ahead but cancelled a lot of the classes at the last minute. I think only the biggest (height) classes went ahead and they were advising which classes could come onto the site the day before they were scheduled to compete (and where to meet the tractor for a tow).

I won't buy tickets to spectate because I suspect it will be the same again this year and could be disappointing.

Wishfilly

Visit site
When landowners state "environmental concerns" I just want to reply "Boll@@@cks"

They could do it if they wanted to, its just an excuse.

To some extent I do agree it's an excuse, but I do think that a lot of these big estates are run to some extent as businesses now- they won't run events that they run at a loss and trash the ground for weeks afterwards. Unfortunately, you need land owners with an interest in horse sport to run these events at big estates.

The change in the way rural payments work has caused huge issues for a lot of landowners.

I also think that if you look at other countries, having as many events (and big events) as GB has had probably isn't sustainable long term.

teapot

Visit site
Out of interest have Scottish land use policies changed in the same way English ones have? Agriculture and land use is a devolved issue so would be interested to know if Scottish Gov has gone the same way as doon south, ie somewhat wrong.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Out of interest have Scottish land use policies changed in the same way English ones have? Agriculture and land use is a devolved issue so would be interested to know if Scottish Gov has gone the same way as doon south.

Large Scottish estates are being broken up as well. So instead of large estates owning large swathes of land it’s being changed to lots of owners of smaller estates/parcels of land. So there are laws changing.

I think the above at present is going on estates for sale will be broken up, but not sure if that will bleed into several large estates being owned by one person not being allowed or current estates being broken up.

teapot

Visit site
Large Scottish estates are being broken up as well. So instead of large estates owning large swathes of land it’s being changed to lots of owners of smaller estates/parcels of land. So there are laws changing.

I think the above at present is going on estates for sale will be broken up, but not sure if that will bleed into several large estates being owned by one person not being allowed or current estates being broken up.

That would make sense!

Nicnac

Visit site
Chilham not running in April
Chilham Castle and grounds are under different ownership now. Stuart Wheeler and especially his wife, Tessa, were "horsey" and very supportive of the equestrian events whereas the new owners are not. There is also a change in Yard Director and it was the old one Ali Ferry who was the organiser of the BE events. Really sad as having lost Nurstead Court then Eridge there are no BE events in Kent anymore.

Zebedee

Visit site
I think for many years BE relied on the 'kudos' factor for both competitors and organisers. That's been eroded over the years with more and more venues gaining approval,and the lowering of the competitive entry level. Going to / competing at a BE event is no longer special either to ride at or to watch. I do understand that for some riders it's still a big aim to compete at a BE competition, but they are in a very small minority and aren't going to sustain the sport going forwards.

teapot

Visit site
Chilham Castle and grounds are under different ownership now. Stuart Wheeler and especially his wife, Tessa, were "horsey" and very supportive of the equestrian events whereas the new owners are not. There is also a change in Yard Director and it was the old one Ali Ferry who was the organiser of the BE events. Really sad as having lost Nurstead Court then Eridge there are no BE events in Kent anymore.

I forgot Chilham was one that was sold. So the vice tightens :(

Cragrat

Visit site
I think for many years BE relied on the 'kudos' factor for both competitors and organisers. That's been eroded over the years with more and more venues gaining approval,and the lowering of the competitive entry level. Going to / competing at a BE event is no longer special either to ride at or to watch. I do understand that for some riders it's still a big aim to compete at a BE competition, but they are in a very small minority and aren't going to sustain the sport going forwards.
I think that depends on the level. I could perhaps agree with you at the lower levels, below 100, but the all the 'B's still have plenty of 'Kudos' in my view, and are very special to watch, and my daughter dreams of competing at them. We have great days out at 2/3/4* venues, with plenty to watch.

MagicMelon

Visit site
In Scotland, eventing is now dead. This year there's 7 BE events this year across 4 venues. Next year with the loss of Blair thatll be 6 BE events across 3 venues. THREE venues across the whole of Scotland?! Thats insane. Its literally not worth eventing at all these days. There's not even any unaffiliated to make it worthwhile. We used to have so many XC competitions, now theres none. Such a loss. A lot of people will either give up competing altogether or turn to BD or BS I imagine. Personally, I gave up on eventing a few years back when it just got too expensive. Theres a lot more BS to go to and at least you can try and win some prize money back.

Nicnac

Visit site
I follow French eventing - event this weekend for €40 entry and €950 prize money. Compared to close on £100 for a low level entry here plus £20 start fee and a hoof pick and a rosette if placed first. I can no longer justify the cost of BE. BD entry fees plus membership is bad enough!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Oxstalls also cancelled.

BE are rapidly digging a grave for themselves. They are concerned about the threat from unaffiliated competition - but they refuse to offer a BE date, which means a popular venue which COULD have run BE is now running unaffiliated instead. 🤦‍♀️

Yep that is absolute madness

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
BE have refused to give Moreton a rearranged date on the Bovington weekend…. this is actual insanity- it's a really popular event, and there’s nothing else on in the SW that weekend. I'm really cross!

View attachment 136513
I guess the question this is whether they will run BE next year or just not bother?

Oxstalls was just Saturday, Sunday decision made on Saturday

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Gosh that’s shocking and sad. I think England will go similarly. Everyone seems to be doing arena Eventing around here (which bores me!).

This always seems to happen in an Olympic selection run up though (wet weather and cancellations).

TheMule

Visit site
I doubt if Portman will ever run again- cancelled 2 years in a row, people won’t enter again and I think they are pretty fixed to their date due to sheep grazing the land