So... Where is everyone from?

Asha

Visit site
Indeed! All the way to the bone :) As I like to say "They'll easily tell that tha comes fra Lancashire because thi' legs are like spindles" :D

haha, Now i know where i went wrong. Had spindles for legs when i lived in Oldham. Now..... well lets say more like tree trunks:eek:

dressagelove

Visit site
This is exciting! Not been on HHO in a few days and this is all new!!

I live in Horwich, go to Leeds uni (for the moment) and ponies are in Tottington, learnt to ride at Tack and turnout at Stormer Hill nearly 20 years ago :)

Last edited:

WombatStew

Visit site
I was originally from near Clitheroe (a village called Grindleton, in sight of Pendle Hill). Moved from there to Maghull, between Ormskirk and Liverpool. Rode in my youth at Aughton and Formby (wonderful beach for riding).

I went to Uni in Ormskirk, work in Maghull and now live in Burscough! Also not far from DH :D

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
In the School of Earth and Environment doing an MSc in Sustainability :) What did you study? I love the uni, its just fantastic.

I did my BA in History, lived in Oxley Halls, then Hyde Park for 2 years (and got burgled, what a surprise!) I loved it, it's fantastic, brilliant livery yard on the outskirts too

Spit That Out

Visit site
Hiya, spit that out, did you used to be at smiths green?

Im from crewe :) (waves)

Cooee...howdy neighbour :)

Yes I was at Smiths but then I think most people who live in this neck of the woods have been at some point ;)

I've heard they are closing down due to a housing development...shame to lose all that hacking & countryside :(

pudz02

Visit site
Cooee...howdy neighbour :)

Yes I was at Smiths but then I think most people who live in this neck of the woods have been at some point ;)

I've heard they are closing down due to a housing development...shame to lose all that hacking & countryside :(

Hiii!! i thought i recognised you from your profile pic, i used to have pudding on there, but your right most people have been there at some point in their lives!!
hmm yeah i did see something about that, there was a gathering at the pub the other week, im not quite sure whats going on or where its going but that would be a shame to ruin the lovely countryside round there!
:)

Adopter

Visit site
Reading this thread has reminded me of happy days of my youth (a long time ago) when my friends and i used to go and stay in digs in Aughton to go on courses at the NEC in Aughton for a week at a time to have lessons with Dorothy Johnson. In those days it was one of the few centres with an indoor school!

Currently in fog and snow on edge of Peak District in Staffs Moorlands, luckily don't have far to travel to ponies, they are just across the yard - but I do need to get out to the feed merchants!

FionaM12

Visit site
Reading this thread has reminded me of happy days of my youth (a long time ago) when my friends and i used to go and stay in digs in Aughton to go on courses at the NEC in Aughton for a week at a time to have lessons with Dorothy Johnson. In those days it was one of the few centres with an indoor school!

Currently in fog and snow on edge of Peak District in Staffs Moorlands, luckily don't have far to travel to ponies, they are just across the yard - but I do need to get out to the feed merchants!

How long ago did you stay in Aughton? I was there in the 1970s, it was an incredibly horsey place back then. :) Aughton Chase's indoor riding school was brilliant, much bigger than the NEC's.

When AC closed down, Dorothy Johnson took on the indoor school and arranged events there. My friend and I used to look after it for her (dampening the sand daily to keep the dust down) in return for free use of it whenever it was available. Oh how I wish I had the use of an indoor school like that now, in this constant rain.

Adopter

Visit site
Great that you remember Dorothy and NEC as well Fiona. Would have been 60's when we went. Friends and family all used to go for lessons and courses for Pony Club A and Assisitant Instructors. Manchester Uni Riding Club also held comps there at times.

Sometimes we would be able to take the horse over to Formby and have a beach ride. We took our own horses, but also rode theres to get more experience! At that time there was not a lot of choice about where to go for courses and lessons, not like today!

We lived in Cheshire and it was quite a journey to get there at that time, not like today with all the motorway network!

Dorothy was so patient with everyone, and I really enjoyed doing dressage with her.

FionaM12

Visit site
Oh yes, Formby beach is a fab beach to ride on. :) We used to go there too.

You will have been in Aughton just a little before me. I started in 1970.