So who has horse qualifications? AI etc.

Enfys

Visit site
A comment on the 'rules on posting' thread got me thinking, who here does actually have equine related qualifications - just out of curiosity, because I am nosey.

Enfys

Visit site
I have BHS stage 3. Not got any teaching qualifications as I hate teaching!

I hate teaching too, well the riding bit, I love SM which is why I did my exams in the first place. I never taught either, although I do enjoy teaching stable management at summer camps.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
A comment on the 'rules on posting' thread got me thinking, who here does actually have equine related qualifications - just out of curiosity, because I am nosey.

I am a BHSAI I past it in 1981 at Park Farm Midd/sex. I was training to my stage 4 but an issue with the trainer caused me to bow out

I lost my stage 2 certificate so got a replacement one

my name rubbed out this is the teaching one
IMG_2534%20-%20Copy_zpsloz8ctbd.jpg

Last edited:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
BHSAI in 1988 and stage 4 in 1990. Qualified equine body worker and I also had some sort of grooms qual back in the 80s, can't remember what it was called but I had to plait a horse while being timed lol.

I hated teaching when I was younger but think about doing that or ride leader these days-the BHS don't make it easy or cheap though and can't see that it's worth my while to register for part time work.

Last edited:

HashRouge

Visit site
I have no qualifications but worked as an SJ groom for nearly two years on two different professional yards. I was home groom on the first yard, yard manager on the second. Both riders had produced horses to top level and one had represented Great Britain. So I like to think I have practical experience, if nothing else.

zaminda

Visit site
I did my PTT so that I could teach. I would like to do more, but they are so expensive. I do bits and pieces of teaching and riding for people, and have found many people do want them to prove you have a level of competence.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have a boatload of certificates, but think industry and competition experience is worth more than all the certificates put together, along with owning a selection of horses, so I understand the feeling that "the buck stops here" (and Buck means every which way!)

Silver

Visit site
BHSAI back in 1988!!!! Still teach from time to time. Also qualified special needs primary school teacher. Believe experience out ways both qualifications. Have also worked in sports development, Equine facilitated learning. Now using a little from all baskets and running my own business helping people find honest loving homes for their horses.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Stage 4 (1981) BHSII (T) 81, never completed the rest of the II (SM and riding) as i had a crashing fall 3 days after the teaching (running novice at Twesledown), putting me in hosp for a spell ...
Basic equine vet nurse (82) this was added when i had to spend a while flying with nags on and off for 4 yrs.
Don't really ever use them these days tho :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
the only question in the OP was who had qualifications, not who didn't or who thought them useless ;)

I did mine as a WP, I got masses of experience with all sorts of horses and ended up grooming for a dressage rider and his comp stallions when I was 17. It was a huge RS/livery/comp yard and we rode, taught and got lectures every day-we could compete in any discipline on site for free and if owners thought you good enough, you got to compete livery horses too. Weekly sjing, weekly dressage and ODEs on an ace xc course. Best bloody job I ever had, at 16-19, its been steadily downhill from then on.

The qualifications aren't the be all and end all, but they have got me work throughout my life, I can handle strange horses safely, assess a horse's health quickly, fit all sorts of tack properly, bandage well, turnout to a good standard and I am frankly gobsmacked at how badly I see people do this basic stuff when I am on yards-whether they are owners or grooms.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
MoC, that's similar to how i did mine but over 2 yrs at 17 to almost 20, then went back to own yard and did breakers and schoolers as well as producing, the backing really did teach me so much :)
I did chief at camp for a few yrs, usually a great time, loved seeing improvement over the week but sending spotless ponies and tack home with really grubby children :D

Fools Motto

Visit site
BHSAI 1999, stable management, NVQ, Higher national diploma, and a few PC grades along the way... Only recently putting some of it to use!!
I was never very clever at school, so went down 'horse' qualifications instead.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
to my mind, all it ever claimed to be was to show that you had met a certain requirement at a certain stage-nothing more. I have no idea about the more intensive courses but every WP on our course could be trusted to look after a horse well, even though we were always going to vary wildly in how good a rider we were/would become. You didn't really become very effective until Stage 3 or 4. But I do get a bit riled when people say they are rubbish, when they either haven't done them, know anything about them or as on previous threads on here, when they have failed them..

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have quite a lot of horse qualifications from an assortment of international associations (including BHS ones), but value the experience I've gained over 40+ years more than the paperwork.

charlimouse

Visit site
I have my BHSAI and a first class BSc (hons) in Equine Sport Performance. After spending almost 10 years working in the equine industry, I've just recently got a non-equine full time job (being sat in an office is a bit of a shock to the system!). I still keep up a bit of freelance teaching to keep my hand in, and event my horse at BE novice level.

charlie76

Visit site
I have my BHS stages 1,2,3. And 4 complete , BHSAI, BHSII , BHS senior coach certificate, BHSI stable mangers, UKCC level three coach , NVQ level three in horse care and riding

Looks impressive when you write it down! Lol!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
They're only amateur qualifications, but I passed the Riding Club grade 3 and BHS Riding and Road safety exams in 1985.

I'm very proud of my certificates. Having to jump a strange horse around a full course took me well outside my comfort zone even back then!

julie111

Visit site
I am a BHSAI I past it in 1981 at Park Farm Midd/sex. I was training to my stage 4 but an issue with the trainer caused me to bow out

I lost my stage 2 certificate so got a replacement one

my name rubbed out this is the teaching one
IMG_2534%20-%20Copy_zpsloz8ctbd.jpg

I used to belong to the riding club at park farm 1981, I did quite a bit of show jumping there.

GemG

Visit site
BHS stages 1, 2, Grooms Cert (the care/knowledge part of 3), PTT, was teaching and gaining hours for my AI and then was let down badly by owners of a yard and thought 'stuff this', I just wanted away from it. So never taught again. Got BSc (hons) Equine Science & Management.

All of which I don't use in my employment and probably never will again, but I enjoyed the experiences they gave me and I do have fond memories of teaching. There are clients and ponies / horses I will never forget.

Equi

Visit site
I have Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of Horse Care and Management (QCF)

I got it at the end of 2015, after 20+ years horse experience. Have to say, there was not one thing i didn't "know" about. Experience counts so much more.

spacefaer

Visit site
BHSII & Stable Manager half of the BHS - trained at Talland. Early/mid 90s

Managed to jump out of the arena during my Stage IV and still passed!

MSc in Applied Equine Science at the RAC, Cirencester

horsimous

Visit site
Equine Science was part of my degree. Managed to justify it with my parents by hiding it under my main subject of Psychology.

Visit site
We tend to have to retrain most of the people we get from these equestrian courses. They teach you to do things the correct way which is totally impracticle in every day life. There was one girl who refused point blank to use a wheelbarrow to muck out. She insisted on using a tub trug. Once we gave her 50 boxes to do in 4 hours she soon quite and used a barrow but she was so stubborn and adament it had gone beyond funny!

ozpoz

Visit site
Somewhere there is a BHSAI cert from '76. Long ago : )
Stopped riding not long after due to injury.

EKW did you really ask someone to fully muck out 50 boxes? Is it usual?