So who has horse qualifications? AI etc.

Tnavas

Visit site
Qualifications are a benchmark for employers - they know that you will have studied certain subjects, have been examined and reached the level required to pass.

Experience is debatable! I was an 'experienced' rider when I started my training - I had been riding for many years, broken in and schooled a few ponies, shown successfully - but compared to some of the others studying with me my riding was appalling - I didn't even know my diagonals - a big shock.

For Experience to be useful it needs to be of good quality - I know that there are some riders I wouldn't let near my horses despite being very experienced.

I tell all my young Pony Club riders that their certificates will stand them in good stead when they join the work force. They show a future employer that the person is dedicated and has a desire to learn.

When I had my riding school my BHSAI instructor actually taught my students, whereas the 'experienced', unqualified coach just told them to do things without explaining how or why or what result to expect.

I have seen this with top level riders who get students because they are successful riders - more often than not they were hopeless, uninspiring coaches.

Give me qualifications and experience anny day.

Enfys

Visit site
NZ Pony Club Certificate C and D. Not particularly useful.

Where is the thread Enfys?

Ummmmmmmm, Club House I think.

This was the quote that made me chuckle, and ask the question :

" All posters who are advised to get some lessons will automatically and magically become a BHSAI (at the very least) who don't need no lessons from no-one "

Tnavas

Visit site
NZ Pony Club Certificate C and D. Not particularly useful.

Where is the thread Enfys?

C level is useful and is attainable by all Pony Club riders - teaches the rider the basics of horse care, recognise basic ailments, lameness, the basic bits, tacking up correctly, safe practice around ponies. Care of gear, putting on rugs safely - its a very useful certificate level to study for - if you actually study! All to often the children I examine have been crammed - if clubs treated Pony Care in the same way they treat riding our ponies would be far better off. HM needs to be taught at every rally so that it is truly learnt, not just glossed over and crammed for the day.

Of all the exams it is probably one of the hardest exam the children do - it has the most information to learn - all the rest are just extensions of C with a more in depth knowledge required.

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
Couldn't agree more! The standard of horse and pony care, knowledge of fittening, tack fitting, etc is pretty low - it makes me very sad that horsecare is not given the same emphasis as riding.

teapot

Visit site
Give me qualifications and experience anny day.

Surely that depends on the indiviual though? I wouldn't turn down a lesson with Lucinda Green just because she hasn't got her AI, and I KNOW she can teach well as have friends who rave about her lessons and clinics. In the same way, I don't immediately think everyone with their AI can teach...

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I know some who have no qualifications yet teach. I personally would not want any of my members of family or friends to pay someone who has nothing to show they are up to the standard of teaching and first aid and has no insurance.

To me it is like driving with no license - and if I was paying good money to learn to ride i would first check the person teaching me was qualified to do so.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
BHSAI 1989.

I think that you do have to be a fairly decent standard to get the exams. You can then go on and build on that. A lot of people with BHs exams have worked before gaining them and therefore had some experience.

Re the lessons from qualified/unqualified instructors, I think that it depends. Teaching methods vary so much. I've had some wonderful lessons from famous riders and some dreadful ones, the same goes for instructors (at all BHs levels). The trick is to find someone that genuinely knows their stuff and can get it across to you. I know a couple of unqualified instructors locally that are simply bossy and almost bully novice or gullible people into choosing them.

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
Unqualified instructors are possibly uninsured as well. One of the bonuses of getting formal qualifications means you can get proper insurance. Anyone teaching uninsured these days is very silly.
Also, because you are very good at something yourself does not necessarily mean you have coaching techniques, unambiguous terminology, or even basic teaching skills. Nowadays there is no reason for people to coach or teach unqualified. There are numerous ways to achieve them. They may only mean you have the basic qualifications but it shows you are serious about teaching and not just taking the money without being prepared to put anything into it yourself.