So who is going to work tomorrow?

rextherobber

Visit site
Does anyone know how to get the government 80% payment? I’m really worried about the small company I work for and the last thing I want is them to struggle more. Do I need to do anything?
Am trying to find out for my husband's small business ( 2 employees) all I can discover is "it will be running by the end of April". Am guessing your employer applies for you, but it's all pretty vague. I am self employed, in a non essential field, so will be ringing by customers to say I won't be in from now on. Apparently I can claim universal credit, and defer tax payments.

dixie

Visit site
Does anyone know how to get the government 80% payment? I’m really worried about the small company I work for and the last thing I want is them to struggle more. Do I need to do anything?

You don’t claim it. The employer pays you as normal and claims it back from the Revenue. The finer details of how this is done has not been published yet.

meleeka

Visit site
OH and I own our own company. We pay ourselves a salery of pennies, and live on the dividends. It is quite common for small business owners.

If we are only paid 80% of the wage, we wouldn't survive one week. I'm not sure if these situations have been thought through. Worrying!

Same here :(

scats

Visit site
My business has been open for 6 weeks and I’ve had to close it.
Absolutely gutted, obviously, but I’m positive that once this dreadful situation is over, I can get back up and running again. I feel that if it can survive this, it can survive anything!

I now have zero income coming in...

zaminda

Visit site
I'm at work too. I'm a lorry driver so is busier now for me. That said I'm also on a zero hours contract so we don't even get 80% as why should we even though we are going out to keep everything going.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I work in a school, we are doing reduced shifts for the kids of key workers. Initially we had a huge number of kids expected, but after negotiations it will be a smaller number, and less shifts. Looking forward to it, missing the kids already.

Mr Red is due to start a new job on Wednesday next week. So far it is going ahead, it is in the emergency services but a training role. I didn't know if it would be happening, but they reckon that they will still start him now and then he is ready, as there will suddenly be a backlog of training. Meanwhile he can perform a back office role.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I've been off work since Sunday, and it was only very few staff on Saturday clearing things away. I work in a restaurant so things suddenly went quiet on Monday but we had to wait til Friday for them to decide we were actually going to have to close.
It feels so bonkers being off but not able to do anything.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
My hours at school are significantly reduced. I am working extra at our local supermarket tonight and tomorrow. Getting worried about being frontline. I can walk to one place so reducing spreading potential germs in my car.

Roxylola

Visit site
I'm in work, classed as a key worker - financial though so not front line or anything. I truly hope apart from the help that is offered to those who aren't permitted to work there will be something put in place to reward all the front line folk who are going to get us all through this.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
. I can walk to one place so reducing spreading potential germs in my car.

You can't spread this virus by car. You are more at risk walking because you may pass people who don't/can't stay 2 metres away. But that risk is tiny compared to your work in the shop or at school.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I was told yesterday I should go in (I'm not a key worker I'm a PA).

At 1am I was text by my boss to say he had taken the decision to shut down the site temporarily but he expects it to reopen at some point (we are a "critical" site for the MOD). So I'm at home at the minute.

The yard has gone into slight panic and I'm not fully sure what is happening there (DIY)

Edited to add my OH is working on a construction site in central London. He has been told by his boss to keep working until they shut the site. His boss is at home :( he is self employed as well but at the minute I would prefer him home and safe

Lexi_

Visit site
I’m WFH until at least the end of April, or whenever guidance changes. Just about to have a meeting to see what security measures we need to put in place for full lockdown :/

conniegirl

Visit site
I'm in work today, unless someone wants to build a million £ chemical plant in my back garden then I will struggle to work from home.
I suspect though after todays Covid19 management meeting we will be working on using time sensitive raw materials, shutting down processes safely (they cannot just be shut off unless you want an explosion that will take out half of east yorkshire), mothballing equipment and setting up home working for the R&D side of my job.

My company is not huge so I am very worried about how on earth it is going to cope. It is going to have to furlough some people as they cannot work from home at all (plant operatives mainly) who will all then go onto 80% pay from the government. Hopefully the Office teams can keep going for a while and I do have a fair amount of reading/research I had put to one side for a new project.

My husband is an essential worker who cannot work from home. The Company he works for manufactures medical dressings and wound gels etc. He is QA so needs to be there and have access to the lab to test and release product. He will be going in unless either He or I get ill. I suspect the number of ulcers and bed sores will vastly increase over the next few weeks as nurses and doctors are pushed to thier limit and something will have to give.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
You can't spread this virus by car. You are more at risk walking because you may pass people who don't/can't stay 2 metres away. But that risk is tiny compared to your work in the shop or at school.

No, I was thinking of the germs on my clothes transferring into my car etc. Aware that cars don't transmit the virus itself?! My village isn't busy and my route can be made safe, rarely used to see anyone before I came lazy and started to drive there. I'll be stripping at the door, clothes in washing machine and jumping in the shower on my return. Hope no-one sees me!?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
wfh as normal today
Haven't actually been to any of our sites since mid Jan ;)

I hope this whole experience will make other employers figure out that so much can be done from home. Our entire management team is set up for remote working and always has been. I have been in this job for 8 years now and probably ought to look at moving on at some point as there's no scope for promotion but the thought of going back to commuting and sitting in an office is such a turn off I have stayed put.

Wheels

Visit site
I have been WFH since Thursday, some people have been going into the office if they wished but as of today all our offices are closed and everybody WFH.

I'm quite enjoying it so far but will see in a few weeks whether I still do.

It has been a complete step change for our organisation as only those with disabilities / orders from doctors have been allowed to work from home in the past. I hope that changes now going forward

Visit site
I'm still technically working - doing someone's horses - if I don't do it, it won't be done which isn't good for them, obviously(!) But it's not every day so doesn't really count ;)
Both my parents are still working too; mum is a carer, dad works in pharmaceuticals. So quite important roles in the current situation.
Hope everyone stays safe.

ed&arch

Visit site
wfh as normal today
Haven't actually been to any of our sites since mid Jan ;)

I hope this whole experience will make other employers figure out that so much can be done from home. Our entire management team is set up for remote working and always has been. I have been in this job for 8 years now and probably ought to look at moving on at some point as there's no scope for promotion but the thought of going back to commuting and sitting in an office is such a turn off I have stayed put.

What is it you do if you don’t mind me asking? ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
What is it you do if you don’t mind me asking? ?
I work for a private healthcare company, closely linked with NHS (only doing NHS emergency work at the moment)
My role is in performance and information analysis, monitoring patient waits & outcomes, correct data collection and submissions, bit of process improvement and KPI/contract management. I get pulled into operational management now and then when the chips are down. We have sites all across England, when I started the job i lived over the border in Wales. Occasionally i need to go to places in person but very infrequently really - telecon/skype/teams etc is ideal for this role.

TPO

Visit site
WFH too. My manager guesstimated at 6wks but we just have to take each day as it comes.

I cancelled my broadband so it stopped last week. I was supposed to go to Oz last week then new broadband started the day after I got home. So I've still another week without wifi. First world problem I know but if there was ever a time i needed netflix and amazon prime it's now! Also buring through data on my phone and its costing a fortune ? more first world problems I know

Apparently the people of London didnt get thr message last night going by the pictures in the media of them all crammed at stations and on public transport?

huskydamage

Visit site
Business as usual for me as I'm an emergency service worker, only with the added stress of trying not to get sick as I live with a very vulnerable person. I'm still riding, luckily I rent on my own now and a simple hack is about the only de-stress normality going atm.
Hope everybody is coping OK, must be complicated if you are on a busy yard.

Alibear

Visit site
Today is my first day working from home which was the plan before last nights announcement anyway. I got 80% of the business out and WFH last Tuesday but its taken me the rest of the week to kick the remainder out :) It's been busy and a few 12 hours day but hopefully my company and carry on in some form for the duration.

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
I've been WFH for a week now, I'm not tech-savvy so it's a bit stressful. I work for a university which means we're having to organise exams remotely; massive hassle but education has to continue. The practical side of research is going to be a challenge.

I volunteer at an RDA stables nearby which closed last week. I worry about their revenue without the income from rides and fundraising events.

Tarragon

Visit site
I am working from home, as is my OH. I suppose my role is classed as a key worker as am in a large IT department, supporting huge payroll systems. I have a feeling that things will never go back to what they were after this, after we have established infrastructure to work from home and proved that it works.
I keep the ponies on a farm and am using the rule of "One outdoor activity for exercise per day" to visit the ponies and to ride on the farm, and have a rather unruly garden that will be immaculate after this crisis is over.
So i do consider myself to be incredibly fortunate.
I do feel so sorry for the people who are stuck in houses in cities, with limited outdoor access. I really feel for them.