So who is going to work tomorrow?

Annagain

Visit site
I work in a school, we are doing reduced shifts for the kids of key workers. Initially we had a huge number of kids expected, but after negotiations it will be a smaller number, and less shifts. Looking forward to it, missing the kids already.

Mr Red is due to start a new job on Wednesday next week. So far it is going ahead, it is in the emergency services but a training role. I didn't know if it would be happening, but they reckon that they will still start him now and then he is ready, as there will suddenly be a backlog of training. Meanwhile he can perform a back office role.
OH's force had 23 new starters in for initial training yesterday. They've all been told to stay at home for the forseeable
future. He does driver training and that's continuing as they will potentially need as many trained drivers as possible if others start to get ill.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I’m not. I didn’t want to do this and have been arguing myself and my family. I work with horses so they need doing. It’s also outdoors so less risk. I got a email today though from the asthma association stating severe asthmatics were to self isolate which I know has been said for ages but how do you define severe?
Anyhow, this email defined it. By sending a list of drugs and dosages. If your prescribed any on the list it’s severe.
I went in today but in light of this evening and the fact that I mentioned the email to my employers I e been told to stay away.
I can’t say it’s not a huge relief. I’d love to be able to use lockdown time to volounteer to help somehow but realistically I know if I get it I’ll probably die or at best use resources that could have been avoided.

I've just looked at the list and I'm even more confused than ever.

I use a Fostair inhaler so I'm on the list, but I wouldn't say say my asthma is severe and I never got one of the letters being sent out to people with severe asthma. ?‍♀️

Anyway, I had a nurse's appointment today which I was told I should still attend but now I'll be staying at home for the foreseeable. Ironically being indoors more is irritating my lungs!

I think you are just right to stay at home now, really not worth putting yourself at risk.

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
I've just looked at the list and I'm even more confused than ever.

I use a Fostair inhaler so I'm on the list, but I wouldn't say say my asthma is severe and I never got one of the letters being sent out to people with severe asthma. ?‍♀️

Anyway, I had a nurse's appointment today which I was told I should still attend but now I'll be staying at home for the foreseeable. Ironically being indoors more is irritating my lungs!

I think you are just right to stay at home now, really not worth putting yourself at risk.

I use a Fostair too and I too wouldn't consider my asthma severe. I am still going to work as a keyworker, not frontline.

Michen

Visit site
I am working from home, as is my OH. I suppose my role is classed as a key worker as am in a large IT department, supporting huge payroll systems. I have a feeling that things will never go back to what they were after this, after we have established infrastructure to work from home and proved that it works.
I keep the ponies on a farm and am using the rule of "One outdoor activity for exercise per day" to visit the ponies and to ride on the farm, and have a rather unruly garden that will be immaculate after this crisis is over.
So i do consider myself to be incredibly fortunate.
I do feel so sorry for the people who are stuck in houses in cities, with limited outdoor access. I really feel for them.

Same. I am so grateful for all the space around me. I look out of my window onto the River Dever and think I would struggle so much if I was in a flat/apartment right now.

Berpisc

Visit site
I am a support worker, I will be working after my day off. Best wishes guys and look after yourselves. My daughter is a mental health nurse so although not right on the front line, I worry about her. Mind you, pretty well everyone worries about their kids...

Spotherisk

Visit site
I'm at work too. I'm a lorry driver so is busier now for me. That said I'm also on a zero hours contract so we don't even get 80% as why should we even though we are going out to keep everything going.

zero hours get 80% based in their earnings in February. OH is also a lorry driver but didn’t drive in February, and the hotel he worked for in Feb only earns him £80...

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I'm still in, I'm finding out my fate this afternoon. I've been pushing to wfh since this began I'm suspecting I'll be 80% pay based on a "planning" email that was sent apparently they also need to speak to me before speaking to my manager

Not sure what I'll do if offered 80% or come into the office given I live with someone high risk

magicmoments

Visit site
I'm a self employed cleaner and gardener so can't work from home. After BJ's speech last night I thought I was ok to work today, but after Gove's message this morning about plumber's are ok to work if it is emergency work only, I'm not so sure. I have 3 lots of gardening today, and one cleaning for a 97 year old who also has carer's any way. I have/will be keeping distance from my gardening customers and plenty of handwashing, distance from my cleaning customer. I'm thinking this will be my last day for a while, as I don't want to add to the problem.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
We are still working on site as are a lot of building sites. If subbies don't/can't work then we are scuppered. I'm self employed so want to work as long as possible but I am just being governed by the client I work for. The Government has said that construction and manufacturing are two key sectors that must continue working. This was also said by the Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick. He said something on twitter about if you can work from home carry on doing so. And also if you are working on site you can carry on, but you have to social distance yourselves.

We have loads of stuff in place to hopefully prevent coronavirus from coming onto site and everyone is being temperature checked at the gate. There are enough tables to ensure that operatives are sat one person per table on our site as we have very few workers on site due to the programme being at the stage it is, i.e. only just started.

This was on the Evening Standard website today at a site in Crawley. Second image on a tube train this morning in London.

1585057832466.png1585057979661.png

Michen

Visit site
I'm a self employed cleaner and gardener so can't work from home. After BJ's speech last night I thought I was ok to work today, but after Gove's message this morning about plumber's are ok to work if it is emergency work only, I'm not so sure. I have 3 lots of gardening today, and one cleaning for a 97 year old who also has carer's any way. I have/will be keeping distance from my gardening customers and plenty of handwashing, distance from my cleaning customer. I'm thinking this will be my last day for a while, as I don't want to add to the problem.

I'd say the indoor cleaning for a 97 year old absolutely should be stopped and probably should have a while ago, they should be self isolating completely. Totally understand it's your income
We are still working on site as are a lot of building sites. If subbies don't/can't work then we are scuppered. I'm self employed so want to work as long as possible but I am just being governed by the client I work for. The Government has said that construction and manufacturing are two key sectors that must continue working. This was also said my the Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick. He said something on twitter about 'if you can work from home do so and if you are working on site you can cary on, but follow guidance on social distancing".

We have loads of stuff in place to hopefully prevent coronavirus from coming onto site and everyone is being temperature checked at the gate. There are enough tables to ensure that operatives are sat one person per table on our site as we have very few workers on site due to the programme being at the stage it is, i.e. only just started.

This was on the Evening Standard website today at a site in Crawley. Second image on a tube train this morning in London.

View attachment 42714View attachment 42715

My god..

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
re that first photo it has been commented that they all get bused into the site anyway, so staying apart in the canteen becomes a bit pointless.

Sadly tube is running a reduced service, when plenty of people still need to get somewhere.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I work for a private healthcare company, closely linked with NHS (only doing NHS emergency work at the moment)
My role is in performance and information analysis, monitoring patient waits & outcomes, correct data collection and submissions, bit of process improvement and KPI/contract management. I get pulled into operational management now and then when the chips are down. We have sites all across England, when I started the job i lived over the border in Wales. Occasionally i need to go to places in person but very infrequently really - telecon/skype/teams etc is ideal for this role.

That sounds incredibly interesting and something I wouldn't mind doing do you need qualifications for it?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Sadly tube is running a reduced service, when plenty of people still need to get somewhere.
staff in London (keyworkers) have already reported to us that they are struggling to get around, when we are asking them to go to different sites. not sure what the answer is really.

milliepops

Visit site
That sounds incredibly interesting and something I wouldn't mind doing do you need qualifications for it?
Um.. well my background was NHS management/contracts and I was recruited out of that by someone who knew me so it was sort of a niche job that I have made my own. Other than generic things in the person spec that would be stuff like IT skills and knowledge of healthcare systems/reporting I don't think there is anything specific - what I have been trying to get is formal training in SQL (to make skills transferable to another job) but I'm at arms length from the main info guys as our company is really a group of smaller ones so I'm not getting any purchase with that yet :(
I'd say the main requirement is being obsessive about details and loose ends rather than being solely a "blue sky thinker" :p Lots of what I do is annoying to the Ideas People.

zaminda

Visit site
zero hours get 80% based in their earnings in February. OH is also a lorry driver but didn’t drive in February, and the hotel he worked for in Feb only earns him £80...
Thanks for that. I was quite busy in Feb, which is lucky as I teach too, and obviously that is finished for a fair while!
At least at the moment we are mental, so work for now, and a key business so a bit of pressure off.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Aww just found out that from Friday I am officially unemployed. Unfortunately they are having to close the site as the subbies won't be coming in, if they can't come in then the work can't progress to the programme.

They will get me to come in tomorrow and work from home Thursday and Friday then that's it till this crisis is over.

My agency rep thought I would be entitled to a weeks money as my contract states a weeks notice either side but again this is unprecedented so I don't know what the situation is and its not as if they are terminating me permanenty as my boss has said he doesn't want to lose me and will ring me when the team can come back in.

Meanwhile my partner has said that he is thinking he won't continue working (works one day at the yard where I keep my horse and two days at another yard doing groundsman stuff), he is a bit vulnerable as he had sepsis and kidney dialysis, his daughter doesn't want him risking his health. That's put me in a quandry now and I was going to do some delivery driver or shelf stacking duties as they are crying out for this type of person at the moment. But I don't want to risk his health. And also my hands are tied shift wise because I need to be available at 4pm to do my horse otherwise I can't see him anymore.........

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
I’m at work as normal- front line branch bank staff. Classed as a key worker. Have to say I was extremely disappointed this morning, witnessed some awful behaviour from the general public. Like no one had listened to the rules last night. Very disappointing

dorsetladette

Visit site
I'm WFH which I have been doing since Wednesday evening last week. Went in to collect the last of the stuff from my office today. The office will be shut from this evening until further notice, they don't want us in.
I'm quite enjoying it to be honest - probably not what I should be saying. I sign in at 7am when OH leaves for work (construction so he's still going to site at the moment) work through to 1 then spend a couple of hours with the horses (10mins from home) then back put dinner in oven and carry on for 3hours or so. I feel like I have control of my time again.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I'm WFH which I have been doing since Wednesday evening last week. Went in to collect the last of the stuff from my office today. The office will be shut from this evening until further notice, they don't want us in.
I'm quite enjoying it to be honest - probably not what I should be saying. I sign in at 7am when OH leaves for work (construction so he's still going to site at the moment) work through to 1 then spend a couple of hours with the horses (10mins from home) then back put dinner in oven and carry on for 3hours or so. I feel like I have control of my time again.
Its sounds bliss. I've never worked from home before, i wish there was more work for me so i could doit full time instead of just two days. Thank God for 0 percent credit cards is all i can say. I am slowly getting used to the world of debt ;)

dorsetladette

Visit site
Its sounds bliss. I've never worked from home before, i wish there was more work for me so i could doit full time instead of just two days. Thank God for 0 percent credit cards is all i can say. I am slowly getting used to the world of debt ;)

I've not done it before either. Spent a few days with out a laptop so I'm a bit behind so pressure is on to get payments ready for end of month.
I think if I didn't have the ponies for a reason to leave the house I'd struggle.
Credit cards are all more or less maxed out here thanks to teenage children and a couple of soft parents. ☹️

milliepops

Visit site
I think if I didn't have the ponies for a reason to leave the house I'd struggle.
This is definitely a good point. Colleagues of mine who have no reason to leave the house can end up working crazy long days. I am almost always out of the door at 4pm (start 6.30 - 7).

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I'm a remote worker anyway from a small rented office close to my home (I'm a software developer), so no difference for me so far. My company is obviously pretty IT literate so switching everyone to homeworking was straightforward, almost everyone was already setup with the option and everyone has decent broadband at home (except me). Our Dublin office is fully closed, the Finnish office is still open but apparently there was only three people in there today (around twenty usually).

Sealine

Visit site
No change for me as I wfh anyway. All our offices were closed 2 weeks ago and all 750 staff are now wfh. We’re an IT company so it’s been quite an easy transition as we already use slack, google hangouts etc. Some staff are struggling with the isolation though. We have set up a slack channel to support each other, share photos of pets and what we are doing for exercise and sharing ideas which has been great.