So why/when/do you use a stick?

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
For flatwork on Mally, never, it turns her into a stressed out madam so defeats the point! Like Kerilli says, why bother getting into that argument, I'd be on the floor fairly quickly!
On the other horses I work, unless I specifically know I need one, I usually don't bother.
For jumping I usually carry a short one, Mally doesn't bother about sticks when there's jumps about! I often forget though and unless I'm jumping huge fences or skinnies/corners I don't worry about it.
We have stick holders screwed to the arena fence, so I can pick one up if I need it.
I always carry one in the jumping phases of eventing.

So I guess my answer is, I use as a bit of a security blanket for jumps, either to keep the horse straight or when I think my legs might cease to function! :D for flatwork I use it to back up my legs, I don't often use it as punishment as I am an out and out wimp and I fear getting decked on a naughty horse enough without hitting it!! ;)

GreyCoast

Visit site
Previously, only for jumping as horses (and rider back in her youth ;) ) were trained to spurs. Now, both horses get ridden with one for different reasons.

I have a horse who can flip from being mind-blown hot to not-occupying-this-planet. One day I bruised myself kicking so hard, no doubt bruised him too, just to get a one-foot shuffle when asking for a turn on the forehand. Clearly not working, despite having understood the exercise perfectly well for months and done it several times that ride too.

So now he gets tapped with the whip. If he's ignoring me but being a bit stressy, I might tap my boot instead of him. At his worst, I'll smack my boot/stirrup really hard repeatedly. It makes a really loud noise and I think the tickler sometimes catches his tummy. He's yet to ignore that!

While I'm a big advocate of horses being allowed bad days, this horse has more than used up his. Until we're on top of his attitude (and probably always after), black and white with no ifs or buts. Vet, saddler, dentist, physio, farrier, instructor, etc all very much consulted.

My mare has just been rebroken at 11. First few rides I didn't have enough leg strength to get her forward enough. After one session backing up my leg with the whip for forward (and lots of kilos lost, still plenty to go for her) she's now a pleasure to ride. I might use the whip once or twice a session very gently when she thinks "do nothing" is the right response, or like last night in our lesson when she was tired and thought canter was optional. She gives a bigger but better reaction to a tickle than a kick and I'm not strong enough for a big squeeze yet, so tickle it is. She's so smart and tries so hard, I want to keep everything as soft and easy as possible. She's just a mega :D horse for everyone. I doubt she'll need a whip once the basics are established. :D

And all groundwork and loading is done with a whip as well.

Supanova

Visit site
Well after a lesson with Stephen Clarke a few weeks ago I am now using the schooling whip upside down and flicking it back and forth so that it whistles through the air - this makes my very backward horse much more forwards and is apparently a trick he uses quite often!! He told me to not use any leg and to just use the whip in this manner until i had got her consistently forward and carrying herself. To anyone who says they never use the whip to back up a leg aid etc because they can't do it in competition..........I do not believe you have ever sat on a truly backwards horse! To me the whip is just an aid like the leg or spurs provided it is not used to unfairly reprimand.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I don't on the coloured as my legs are more than enough and the one time my instructor had me use it to help her choose the correct canter lead she began bucking in anticipation of a light tap on the outside. :rolleyes: I use one on the palo sometimes to sharpen her off my leg but generally just carrying one is enough on her. I don't need to if only I've been riding her, just when she has been getting away with nonsense with novices.

KatB

Visit site
I hardly ever (can count on one hand the amount of times I have) use one on the flat with madam, as it is counterproductive and makes her scurry off, and I also struggle to keep a consistent contact when i have a whip in one hand!

I do ride with a short stick when jumping a lot of the time, as sometimes I need it to back up my leg and send her forward if she is spooking at something on the way into a fence or sticking to a corner a bit! However, the one time I have used it when she was having a particularly naughty stage, I got unceremoniously decked, so it's there on her terms ;)

Basically, the only time I ever use one is to back up my leg aid, and even then, not very often at all :)

livetoride

Visit site
For showjumping and xc I always carry a whip and use it mainly for reminders and encouragement if I feel the horse lacks impulsion or is not concentrating and listening to my leg as it should. I normally use it behind the leg, but will sometimes give a wake up slap down the shoulder or even just show it without using it. Very occasionally I use the whip as a reprimand, e.g. for a serious disobedience like a stop, in which case I normally apply it behind my leg once or twice fairly hard.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
I rarely use one on Wilby, as he often tries to 'keep an eye on it', and also if it even touches him in the canter it tends to result in a buck or bronc - and occasionally a decking and a four figure vets bill... He is much better in spurs and I feel much safer! I do just carry one for loading him however, just incase he decides to stand at the bottom of the ramp like 'yeah, and?'

With Bronts, I'd usually carry a long stick for flatwork (especially lateral work, as he'd just go "sideways - nahhh") and tended to carry a short one out hacking and when jumping, although I can't actually recall ever needing to use one when jumping!

NinjaPony

Visit site
I use a schooling whip on my pony. I know he has never been scared or frightened by one as I can wave around his head and everything with zero reaction which is great as its a back up to my leg, not a punishment. He gets a flick to create a bit more impulsion as his walk can get rather lazy, as a reminder if he doesn't take the canter aid and occasionally in leg yield to encourage him not to leave his quarters behind. He's lovely and obedient so it doesn't need to be used much. I use spurs sometimes too, to help with our lateral work and clarify canter aids, I don't think spurs should be used on very lazy horses. He never needs more than a touch.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Occasionally carry a schooling whip for flat work and hacking out - find that just having it led across the leg and tight on the side without movement it helps keep Loll straight when she's trying to be a wiggly worm or if we're encountering something really spooky on the roads - they're pretty busy so her attempting to spin (which she's *just* about got out of) or leaping sideways is not a popular option.
Jumping I usually just carry a short stick for if she starts backing off too much - she's a bit of a mickey taker and at the beginning of a session the smallest x pole on the ground can suddenly become incredibly scary if she's in that frame of mind, a tap on the shoulder with a growl gets her moving without me having to resort to flapping and pony club kicks - once moving forward she's fine the cow bag and rarely looks at anything :rolleyes:

SuperH

Visit site
I nearly always ride with a schooling whip. Only time I wouldn't is when we play games and carry batons etc.

Hacking it is very useful for poking out to try and make vehicles give us a wider pass.

In the summer it is useful for getting rid of flies.

I also like to play a bit of nettle polo now and again! Sometimes a bit of leaf jousting too haha.

Backing up leg aid if ignored.

I also press it against the shoulder to keep them straight in traffic if passing something scary.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I don't actually own a schooling whip, so don't use one.
A short stick, the most simplistic answer I can give is, I use to say ''FORWARD, this VERY second!''
On the ground, as an extension of my arm and admittedly, sometimes as a sharp reminder that manners do matter - to shock a horse into reality.

jess_asterix

Visit site
It is very rare I carry a whip.

I have been carrying a short stick on my 4yo when hacking and jumping just as an extra if she needs a tap on the shoulder but havn't used it so will stop carrying it soon.

I carry one XC too just because again it is an extra when I need more than my legs!!

Also out hunting to do gates I carry a hunting crop.

BarmyC

Visit site
I only carry a whip whilst hunting, team chasing and xc schooling just as a reminder if and when it is needed. I don't tend to use one when schooling and if I'm doing some lateral work I prefer to use spurs.

I have been known to wave my short whip around to get my horse used to having wavey things going past. As a result I'm going to try stick and balling her over the summer for a bit of fun.

My horse is used to me doing all sorts of random things with her. I get the "what the he'll is she doing with me now" roll of the eye look. Lol

Charem

Visit site
I always carry a stick, I have yet to sit on a horse that can't be ridden with one but I accept there are horses out there that really don't tolerate them!

Always to back up an ignored leg aid, whether its coming in to a jump that the horse is being really looky at or asking for lateral work.

And of course for waving a drivers whilst out hacking to ensure they pass us with plenty of room.