soaking hay - vitamin loss

spotty_pony2

Visit site
this is going to cause a lot more ponies to come down with laminitis if they follow the advice in that facebook post. I soak for a good 8 hours as i don’t think a couple of hours reduces the sugar enough. i’ve had best results for weight loss when soaking for longer too.

SO1

Visit site
this is going to cause a lot more ponies to come down with laminitis if they follow the advice in that facebook post. I soak for a good 8 hours as i don’t think a couple of hours reduces the sugar enough. i’ve had best results for weight loss when soaking for longer too.
They are suggesting people ignore vet advice on hay soaking which is not good.

But what is really confusing is that they suggest soaking for 2 hours the low sugar hay that they sell on their website if a horse is sensitive to sugars?

spotty_pony2

Visit site
They are suggesting people ignore vet advice on hay soaking which is not good.

But what is really confusing is that they suggest soaking for 2 hours the low sugar hay that they sell on their website if a horse is sensitive to sugars?

I know it’s scary! And scary if novice owners believe them over their Vet as it just seems like a marketing ploy. Laminitics have been fed soaked hay for decades. I’d sooner they were getting a few less nutrients than too many if they are high risk.

SO1

Visit site
I know it’s scary! And scary if novice owners believe them over their Vet as it just seems like a marketing ploy. Laminitics have been fed soaked hay for decades. I’d sooner they were getting a few less nutrients than too many if they are high risk.
But the strange thing is they suggest soaking the hay that they sell so they cannot be that anti hay soaking, what is that all about? Someone has probably forgotten that they have this on their website?

Surbie

Visit site
This is a link to the post:

I do find it appalling that, in one of the comments referencing Liverpool vets recommending hay soaking, they suggest that vets are behind the times in recommending hay soaking and that they hope those vets will shortly come around to the Forageplus view.

I really don't like the passive aggression in their responses to people asking genuine questions about management or pointing out that this conflicts with vet advice.

I doubt very much my horse is going without anything he needs but this kind of post does put me off them as a brand.

Last edited:

Floofball

Visit site
Soaking hay is the only way I’ve found that manages Floofs weight without leaving him hungry. I have always fed Spillers Lite & Lean balancer as was aware there might be deficiencies but I do KNOW he needs it soaking if the weight starts to go up. The interesting thing for me is the loss of sodium - Floof has a salt lick in his stable but hardly ever uses it, won’t eat feed with added salt so assume he’s getting enough BUT has had 2 recents bouts of severe dehydration with unknown cause 🤔 he will however eat a feed with electrolytes in so will make sure he has those regularly if in ‘diet’ mode.

As for the attitude and professionalism of FP - shocking!