Sofa - leather or fabric covered?

{97702}

Visit site
Ths is for multiple dog owners who DO allow your dogs on the sofa :) At the moment I have a green leather 3 piece suite which I inherited from the ex - it is very practical for the dogs as it is easily cleaned, but I hate the colour, hate the fact it is associated with my ex lol and I find leather uncomfortable to sit on as I find I get very hot.

I'm thinking of changing to an ordinary fabric covered sofa but I can't decide if that is totally mad? I have tried using throws or similar in the past, but the dogs think that is an excuse to make the throws into a snuggly dog bed......and it will be second hand, so it would be difficult to get one sprayed with the protective stuff you can get (it used to be called Scotchguard....)

meleeka

Visit site
Leather. This is all..

Yep I would never have a fabric sofa with dogs again. You think throws will do it, but the sides and arms get just as filthy with dogs walking past all the time.

I wipe mine with a leather cleaner spray and they come up like new (they were only Ikea ones so probably not great quality).

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Another vote for leather. We tend to get free or very cheap second hand and don't worry to much about keeping them nice. As long as they are clean and comfortable to sit on.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Another here for leather.
Ours are 2004 vintage, the only knackered bits are 1, where DH sits as he's squashed the cushioning too far flat and 2, back of smaller sofa where cat (sadly departed 2 cats ago) where he stopped his claws a few times on it, till I sprayed it!

{97702}

Visit site
Hmmmmm..... so I get the impression that leather might be getting the vote here? :p :D:D

I hear what you are all saying, it is SO much easier..... I think I'll buy some throws for ME, and the dogs can do without if I'm not around! I suppose that would deal with the yucky colour issue too :)

planete

Visit site
Sorry to go against the majority but I really dislike the slippery feel of leather. I have got two tough cotton twill dust sheets for each sofa and rotate them once a week when one lot gets thrown into the washing-machine. They are so large you cannot see the sofas underneath at all. The cotton is a very close weave and dust, sand and hair cannot get through it. They can also go through an anti allergy wash and are dirt cheap to buy from Amazon or Ebay. My sofas are pristine under that and we are all comfy.

Starzaan

Visit site
I’m going against the grain too. I loathe leather sofas - they’re sticky and hot and uncomfortable, and ugly.

Fabric with throws gets my vote every time. I have big fleece throws that cover the whole sofa and I have two sets so one is always in the wash and the other is on. I swap them every other day. Much nicer than sweaty sticky leather. Blegh.

pippixox

Visit site
My dogs would just end up moving the throws to wrap around themselves! So within days a fabric sofa would be covered in hairs and I find it never vacuums effectively. I also have small children. So leather is vital as you can wipe it clean!

But- I will sometimes sit on a towel in the summer when it is hot and sticky or wrap myself up on a blanket this time of year. Which I move out of the dogs way!

Visit site
I have leather, but dont really like it. I get hot and sweaty in the summer, I have tried throws but am forever putting them back in place cos they slip . How can you use fleece Starzaan, the dog hairs stick like s**t on a blanket as my OH used to say

planete

Visit site
I have leather, but dont really like it. I get hot and sweaty in the summer, I have tried throws but am forever putting them back in place cos they slip . How can you use fleece Starzaan, the dog hairs stick like s**t on a blanket as my OH used to say

I agree about the fleeces. I started with fleeces and they felt cosy but found a lot of dirt got through them or stuck to them. I then bought used king size duvet covers from Ebay which made the room look like a bazaar before settling on the dust sheets, they are the colour of natural cotton and I use bright curtains and rugs to inject some colour into the room.

deb_l222

Visit site
leather with throws every time if dogs are involved....

Yes, this is me. Pay a fortune for a beautiful leather settee then cover it up with throws because, contrary to popular belief, dog nails DO scratch leather. I suppose I could just keep them off the furniture but life's too short ;)

If I didn't have dogs, I would have fabric because I find leather hot in the summer and cold in winter - same reason why I don't have it in the car really :oops:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I hate leather sofas but with multiple large dogs I think they are a wise choice, I actually have a very light coloured fabric sofas but I only have 1 small mainly white dog, I have fleece throws which are washed almost every week dog is groomed and bathed a lot but hairs do get trapped in the sofa fabric but I did buy the sofas before the dog.

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
Fabric for me every time. I don't like leather for many reasons. I always try to go for sofas with removeable/ washable covers. Don't forget to check Freecycle out for sofas, my friend got a three piece in fantastic condition which she loves( don't tell her I dislike as it is too clumpy for me!). If you got something free it could tide over while you save to buy what you want.

paisley

Visit site
Fabric and throws. I have a pale grey fabric sofa with charcoal stripes. Its still clean after three years, as I bought it new, and had it proofed/Scotchguarded. I just buy cheap fleece throws, boil wash 'em once a week, and ditch once they get a bit minging. It was bought with DFS, and on a payment plan, so if you didn't want to afford a big lump sum to start that might be a way forward?
Or you could buy mine, I'm probably selling it soon as I might have to house share soon :D

Starzaan

Visit site
I've never had a problem with the dog hairs sticking - they're big fleece throws from Dunelm. I have had my black Dane x Doberman and my white and merle Dane on them and the hair always washes out no problem. They're duck egg blue with big white polka dots on them and haven't been a problem at all.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I have fabric-after our ancient leather one finally gave up the ghost about 18 months ago. Its a grey Ikea one, I dont have chesterfield type budgets and didnt like leather for lounging about on. I go for a double layer of throws (cord over a knitted one) and these are changed twice a week. I have a special pet hair hand held hoover for which works really well and an excellent dog hair removal brush thing.takes 5 mins twice a week. The dogs have the dog end of the couch (with throws lol) OH and I have the other end.