Sold my horse and new owner is a nightmare

Summit

Visit site
I did love and do still and feel as though it was my responsibility to find him a lovely home which I failed todo! I made the decision to sell him and I think that did change the way I felt about him, I think it’s a little bit the dread I was feeling about riding I’ve associated with horses! I’m still helping my friend out with her horses whilst she working (we kept ours together) as I thought that would keep me busy whilst I’m not working and even doing that in the morning I’m absolutely not enjoying anymore!

I feel guilty, I missed him to start with but now when I think of him I just feel anxiety about the situation! I can’t remember the lovely times we shared without thinking about all the recently crap ? hoping the situation will settle and I can think fondly of him again!

it will pass...you don’t sound as if you’re enjoying horses....do you need to help your friend? If not..don’t....eliminate any unnecessary stress.

horses don’t share the same emotions as us. As long as he’s fed and watered, he’ll be happy

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
It's rubbish OP, it really is. I unwittingly sold a horse into a home that was a bad fit 14 years ago and still get a hit of anxiety when I think about it now. She ended up in a good home in the end, but I felt so incredibly guilty at the time

SusieT

Visit site
I would not offer a full refund, I would offer to have the horse back to sell and pass on the sale proceeds less say 10% for costs - this then avoids you having the risk of an unsound horse but still giving the option for the horse to be looked after.

Clodagh

Visit site
It seems a couple of arguments not really relating to my post broke out so maybe one of them? I’m laying low now, got some good advice and hoping everyone puts their claws away!

Good luck. Ignore the arguments, theres someone on here who just likes to cause trouble it's her raison d'etre. Good luck.

Lois Lame

Visit site
It's rubbish OP, it really is. I unwittingly sold a horse into a home that was a bad fit 14 years ago and still get a hit of anxiety when I think about it now. She ended up in a good home in the end, but I felt so incredibly guilty at the time

And I've foolishly bought a horse that I shouldn't have bought. (Not from DabDab, ha ha.) It all came good in the end but not after a lot of stress for all concerned. I still don't like to think about the situation but maybe time will take care of that. It was only a year ago.

paddy555

Visit site
I wonder how you would know that unless the moderator had brought your attention to it? Breaking forum T&Cs? oh dear.... ?

sarcastic, jumping to conclusions and unpleasant at usual! Your normal "go to" position. Not broken any T's & C's, I just looked at post 114. Also I have had no notification from the mods. As you say, oh dear, mistake on your part I'm afraid.
I'm sure many will be waiting for your sarcastic reply to this post. Please don't disappoint, anything to amuse us in this lockdown.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I would not offer a full refund, I would offer to have the horse back to sell and pass on the sale proceeds less say 10% for costs - this then avoids you having the risk of an unsound horse but still giving the option for the horse to be looked after.
But the OP cannot have the pony back, she has no money to refund and more important, no where to keep the pony.
The pony was sold, the buyer was given the chance for a vetting and didn't. Pony went to the new home. Buyer given advice, not misold.
End of responsibility.

The "might have a problem" is muddying the water but it might just be a ploy to make the seller take it back as unsuitable, but since they saw it and tried it and didn't have it vetted you can only say that it was OK when it left you.
The only, only thing you could consider is to give the YO the contact details of the dealer and other person who was interested and leave it at that. Let them sort it. Sorry for the pony, but hopefully if it a nice pony it will end up in a good place.

I'm sorry OP, I think you have to wash your hands

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
OP, I hope you've blocked both numbers from your phone now. They're either a pair of idiot individuals, or it was a combined scam attempt. There were other interested buyers so the horse is clearly saleable and has a future if the YO has to sell him on.

Always worth checking if your home insurance policy includes free legal advice if you want further reassurance.

MagicMelon

Visit site
OP, at the end of the day you have said you cannot take the horse back so thats the end of it. Send them an email stating you will not refund them, they bought as seen and that you hope they can find your horse a really nice home as its not his fault any of this. And should they want to talk any further then to write to your solicitor directly (give them their contact details).

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Gosh. That was a marathon read. And I thought I was good at going off-topic.

Anyhoo, OP as many others and well experienced people have said, no longer your horse. The new owner is bonkers - keep the horse (when he so isn't right for her?) and you refund? Bonkers indeed.

The above is academic - you don't have the money to buy him back and no-where to keep him.

The current yard owner will have to follow the abandament route.

The situation, crap though it is, is not yours and you need to step away. I know it hurts as part of you does care about the lad, but he's not yours any more and there's no contract in place that allows you, currently, to do anything about his / the new owner's / the new yard's situation.

I'm sorry for the loss of your mum.