Pictures Someone has a very important birthday tomorrow!

Cowpony

Visit site
I can't believe it's been 4 years! She looks great. Hoping she turns into a lovely ridden horse for you

Reactions: JJS

Asha

Visit site
its frightening how fast that has gone. She was a cracking foal,and has blossomed into a lovely mare. good luck with backing her and dont forget to post updates on the 3/4y yo thread

JJS

Visit site
Aww Happy Birthday Flower! Can we have an up to date Mary picture too? Just to check she is still beautiful as well ?

Of course! Most of my recent Mary pictures are from in the saddle, but you can see that her scrumptious face is still as sweet and gorgeous as ever!

kNBq7x8l.jpg

JJS

Visit site
Also, I can't say I realised how much negative commentary her mane would generate. She's a four-year-old, field-kept, unridden horse - I'm not sure how people have such strong opinions on it :confused:

Not that I have to justify it, but we don't show, never have, and never will, so proper Welsh turnout is no more than words on paper as far as I'm concerned.

Nor is Flower hot underneath it. She spends the majority of her life plaited up (as someone who follows us on Instagram pointed out), but even when she does have it down, she's never once been sweaty under her mane. I don't foresee that changing when she's a ridden horse, given that Mary has an equally long mane and has never struggled either.

Yes, her mane is bedraggled - we've had weeks of relentless rain here, and I haven't fancied chilling my fingers to the bone trying to plait sopping wet hair. Flower, on the other hand, has stayed nice and dry underneath it. I guess that next time I'll remember to make sure it's either plaited (that was last night's job, for the record) or perfectly brushed out before I post (which is how it usually is anyway)!

Sandstone1

Visit site
Well if you don't want to be negative then don't be. That is a perfectly lovely birthday photo of a horse that most of us remember being born with fond memories then you come along banging on about how her mane should be when shes backed in two months time as you say not your horse not your business.
I also remember that pony being born as I have been a member for a long time, Much longer than you apparently!
It is not meant in a horrible way at all. In fact my comments are for the sake of the pony. That mane must be very hot and could cause a accident. I think others would agree too. If you dont like my comments mind your own business and dont answer!

Annagain

Visit site
Surely you mean two, not four? She's beautiful just as she is. I think she's the only youngster I've watched progress who hasn't gone through a fugly stage (unless you just hid it from us!) and has always looked really pretty. I too can't wait to see her under saddle.

JJS

Visit site
Surely you mean two, not four? She's beautiful just as she is. I think she's the only youngster I've watched progress who hasn't gone through a fugly stage (unless you just hid it from us!) and has always looked really pretty. I too can't wait to see her under saddle.

Not fugly exactly, but there were definitely times where it was hard to tell what was happening under all of the hair! ?

Surbie

Visit site
Also, I can't say I realised how much negative commentary her mane would generate. She's a four-year-old, field-kept, unridden horse - I'm not sure how people have such strong opinions on it :confused:

I don't get it either, but there's no reason for you to justify what you do with her mane. Your horse. Your choice.

I wish mine's mane were even half as splendid.

Mary's looking as sweet as ever - love her eyes.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I'd actually love some mane growing advice from you JJS, I have a traditional cob and her mane has got a but thin and scraggly. I was thinking of giving it a good wash and condition, leveling it off to the shorter length, and then putting it in plaits for summer and leaving it?

JJS

Visit site
I'd actually love some mane growing advice from you JJS, I have a traditional cob and her mane has got a but thin and scraggly. I was thinking of giving it a good wash and condition, leveling it off to the shorter length, and then putting it in plaits for summer and leaving it?

I wish I could claim to do something special, but I think it’s just good genetics on Mary and Flower’s parts! ??‍♀️

I do keep their manes plaited up most of the time, and only properly redo those plaits every fortnight or so. If any fall out in between those times, I put them back in as and when.

When their manes are loose, I try to stick to finger brushing as it’s meant to be better for their hair, although I do brush them out properly on occasion just so I can admire them ?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
cant believe it was that long ago when we were wondering if she was in foal, a beautiful BOGOFF and still beautiful, she is looking great ,good luck in august

Visit site
That also means Gummy Bear is 4yo this year and needs to go by her proper name now ... scary! I will get pics of her tomorrow!

As to the mane - my ocd means I would have them trained over to the off side ??? but I am another big mane lover!

misst

Visit site
How can she be 4??!! Beautiful girl. She has a lovely expression I'm sure she will be a lovely ridden horse :) I have never thought about manes before! We had a native pony and some TBs and they had shaggy manes in the field and nicely pulled manes when competing (The TBs not the native). Your horse your choice - she looks fine to me :)