Someone reported my horse to the rspca!

Tnavas

Visit site
I would feed any TB ad lib forage in winter [fat TB s are a rare breed]
plus a balanced diet,
hi fibre, and minerals
and micronised linseed.

MrsD123 - There are many fat TB's around - I have owned several and also had several in my Riding School - they are just horses - nothing special. All these horses wintered out on grass with a few slices of hay, one wool lined canvas cover and only hard fed if they came in to work.

Fat TB Tnavas
TnavasatDressageChamps.jpg

Fat TB Huggy Bear - in late winter
HuggyBear.jpg

Fat 22yr old TB School Horse Palais Glyde, ex steeplechaser
CharlieTrot.jpg

Last edited:

Boulty

Visit site
I'd say that yes he does look poor but all RSPCA are likely to do is come out, tell you that and maybe give you some feeding tips?

I'd say the best thing for him would be a few weeks on some decent grass but if that's not possible then if your grazing isn't great I'd be haying your field if you're not already so he's always got access to good quality forage. Feedwise micronised linseed is supposed to be good or if that's too expensive a good glug of oil will add some calories. Not sure on the calorie content of readymash but if it has less than calm and condition maybe consider giving that or some conditioning cubes a try (just be warned I've had a horse become rather wired on c&c!). Rather than increasing his current portion size I'd move him onto 3 feeds a day as despite their size horses don't have the biggest stomachs in the world. I'd cut his exercise back to gentle walk / trot hacks (with some hills if you've got them to build topline) in addition to longlining and lunging and only reintroduce fast work when he's looking a bit more covered.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
MrsD123 - There are many fat TB's around - I have owned several and also had several in my Riding School - they are just horses - nothing special. All these horses wintered out on grass with a few slices of hay, one wool lined canvas cover and only hard fed if they came in to work.

Fat TB Tnavas
TnavasatDressageChamps.jpg

Fat TB Huggy Bear - in late winter
HuggyBear.jpg

Fat 22yr old TB School Horse Palais Glyde, ex steeplechaser
CharlieTrot.jpg
I was trying to be subtle, there are many well conditioned TB s, they are well fed and well managed. There are many many more poor creatures, horses expected to live on fresh air and treated like native ponies.

mudmudmud

Visit site
I'd cut the work out for a few weeks, try and get a bale of haylage in his field so he has constant access to forage, have you tried TopSpec Super Conditioning Flakes and Linseed? He could ideally do with his meals making smaller but more frequent so split into 4-5 feeds and make sure his worming is upto date.

Tnavas

Visit site
I was trying to be subtle, there are many well conditioned TB s, they are well fed and well managed. There are many many more poor creatures, horses expected to live on fresh air and treated like native ponies.

No you said

"I would feed any TB ad lib forage in winter [fat TB s are a rare breed]
plus a balanced diet, hi fibre, and minerals and micronised linseed."

Rachelstokes

New User
Visit site
you could try horse and pony direct veteran feed balancer. the everyday balancer worked wonders on my tb x, which really did look like an rspca case when i got him!. it aids digestion and builds top line amongst other things, its affordable too. Hacking sounds good as long as its long and low work, maybe cut down on the xc though. hope thats of some help, good luck.

EmmaB

Visit site
Goldenstar and mrsd, well done you two, if you have any before and after pics of your tbs that you have turned around I would love to see them.

Well I've been putting out hay and haylage and he isn't really interested, he's just eating the grass. So I put him in the stable yesterday evening for a couple of hours to try and get it into him, and he wasn't stiff when he came out which is good. So I might start stabling him for just a few hours each day to make sure he is eating at least some. Not sure what else I can do to get him to eat more of it!

LaMooch

Visit site
Goldenstar and mrsd, well done you two, if you have any before and after pics of your tbs that you have turned around I would love to see them.

Well I've been putting out hay and haylage and he isn't really interested, he's just eating the grass. So I put him in the stable yesterday evening for a couple of hours to try and get it into him, and he wasn't stiff when he came out which is good. So I might start stabling him for just a few hours each day to make sure he is eating at least some. Not sure what else I can do to get him to eat more of it!

Have you tried offering soaked grass nuts as found this good for weight gain and as your thinking of bringing in for a few hours offer it then as he can 'graze' on it

EmmaB

Visit site
Have you tried offering soaked grass nuts as found this good for weight gain and as your thinking of bringing in for a few hours offer it then as he can 'graze' on it

No actually I never thought about grass nuts for weight gain but thankyou it's another option to try! :)

Think ive figured out why he wasn't eating though, he has taken a dislike to the haylage! Has eaten his hay fine today but totally turned his nose up at the haylage. So have given the bloody stuff to my friend as the other horses all ate it perfectly fine. Fussy horse!