Someone reported my horse to the rspca!

EmmaB

Visit site
I'm furious! Totally shocked to find out that someone reported me for my horse being underweight today, I just can't think who it could have been! I haven't fallen out with anyone near by, we are on a small private yard surrounded by other private fields. There is a track which people walk up near the field but the way the field is split up, you would really have to look hard to see the horses, depending where about they were standing.

I'm assuming it was a walker who, when looking at my 18 year old tb x arab, compared him to the cobs he shares a field with!! I'm gutted though, it's hard enough as it is to get weight on the old boy, plus he's ridden most days working fairly hard. I'm trying to build up his topline, I think that is what makes him look 'skinny' but it takes so long :(

Does he really look that bad?!
image-14.jpg

image-17.jpg

This is xc from 2 days ago! Doubt he would take me round a course if he was that starved!!
image-15.jpg

twiggy2

Visit site
from the 2 photos of him unridden I would say yes he looks pretty poor, also that possibly you need to build his top line without a rider and then get a saddle fitted as he is very hollow behind the withers indicating a poor fitting saddle. I would certainly not be working him fairly hard or doing cross country on him

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
He is too skinny. You can see too many ribs and the dip on his topline just before his pelvis should really be filled in. What's his anus like, is it sunk in at all? I wouldn't have him in hard work, or even medium work until his condition improved.

I do understand how hard it can be to get weight on horses. I've really struggled this winter with one of mine.

Moomin1

Visit site
You admit yourself that he looks skinny. So what's the issue? If someone else who doesn't know the background and circumstances as to why he may look like that has become concerned, then good on them - it's good that people do report these things as that is how proper welfare cases are found.

I wouldn't take it to heart - it may be someone who isn't horsey, who sees a horse, who by your own admission, doesn't look in fantastic body condition (I am not saying he looks bad - he just doesn't look completely up to weight) and they are just concerned. No harm done in an officer checking.

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
Honestly, I think he's a little bit on the thin side. I really do sympathise though as I know how hard it it to keep weight on working older TB's and even if they lose the smallest amount (that wouldn't be an issue on a cobbier build), it really shows.

If I were you, I'd feed him a bit more non-heating feed and hay and maybe cut his work down a tad just until he puts some more weight on. 15 mins on the lunge 3 times a week in a outline does wonders for top-line instead of hours of other work.

I'm guessing the person reporting you isn't a horsey person at all and I think you are just unfortunate in that respect x

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Don't worry, I'm sure the officer will see that you are aware that he looks thin and are trying to do something about it.

Maybe some time off and chill out time on the grass will help him get some more condition on.

EmmaB

Visit site
I know he doesn't look the greatest but I don't think he looks a rescue case! :(

He's had physio, saddle fitter and vet out recently and yes all agree he needs more topline but i can't get it to happen overnight. He's ridden probably 5 times a week, about 40mins - 1 hr hacks, don't have a school. I have a place to lunge/long rein though so might start doing that to try and build it up without a rider.

He's on 3 scoops Alfa oil and 2 scoops ready mash per day, anyone got any tips for what else I could try to get some weight on?

Spring Feather

Visit site
He's on 3 scoops Alfa oil and 2 scoops ready mash per day, anyone got any tips for what else I could try to get some weight on?
Can't advise you on the feed as your feed is different from what we get over here, but if he were mine I'd be feeding him 4 or 5 times a day until he builds himself up at bit.

EmmaB

Visit site
Also I tried giving him time off over winter and he just stiffened up, even living out 24/7, he's much better having regular exercise though I guess if I replace riding with lunging it would help.

EmmaB

Visit site
Can't advise you on the feed as your feed is different from what we get over here, but if he were mine I'd be feeding him 4 or 5 times a day until he builds himself up at bit.

Thanks, guess I'm just not feeding enough then though it feels like a lot. He never needed a lot in his younger days so I guess the old age is just hitting him now :(

Spring Feather

Visit site
Also I tried giving him time off over winter and he just stiffened up, even living out 24/7, he's much better having regular exercise though I guess if I replace riding with lunging it would help.
If he were mine, he wouldn't be doing anything; not riding and not lunging. I'd be feeding him frequent meals throughout the day and putting him in a hilly field where he can get natural exercise to build up the muscles, and a good feed to feed the muscles.

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site

I wouldn't give him time off really, like you said - he will stiffen up. Plus he will need the work if he's getting more feed (vicious circle I know!). I would just cut his work down quite a bit. Short (15 mins max) but precise lunge sessions did my TB mare the world of good when I first got her. I'm on the work computer but otherwise I would have attached some before/after pics of the difference it made. I lunged her in a roller and made sure she was in a relaxed outline, even added some raised poles sometimes too to build her bottom up.

I would also maybe give him two feeds a day. Good luck :)

Last edited:

bumper

Visit site
Honestly, he's too thin. I'm a person who does not like excess weight on a horse at all by the way. Ribs are too prominent, as is the pelvis. I appreciate how hard it is to keep weight on some horses, but I would advise you (as others have said) to stop working him so hard, and concentrate on putting some condition on him. TBH I wouldn't be riding that for a while. You probably shouldn't be furious.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Thanks, guess I'm just not feeding enough then though it feels like a lot. He never needed a lot in his younger days so I guess the old age is just hitting him now :(
My 37 year old has struggled a little over this winter, which has been very long, incredibly cold and tough this year. I am feeding him 4lbs of feed 4 times a day to keep his weight at an acceptable level. He certainly won't be ridden until he's back up to his normal summer weight (and he is not as thin as your horse btw).

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'd be inclined to not take so much coat off so he doesn't use calories keeping warm. Plus slow his work down, he doesn't have to be doing fast work to keep moving..

I have the other issue - two fatties! Shame I can't send you some of their flab!

EmmaB

Visit site
Honestly, he's too thin. I'm a person who does not like excess weight on a horse at all by the way. Ribs are too prominent, as is the pelvis. I appreciate how hard it is to keep weight on some horses, but I would advise you (as others have said) to stop working him so hard, and concentrate on putting some condition on him. TBH I wouldn't be riding that for a while. You probably shouldn't be furious.

I don't feel I'm working him way too hard though. Yes we went xc but only schooling. Our hacks aren't exactly major hard work, in the first post I just meant he was ridden regularly, not worked super hard.

Auslander

Visit site
Agree that he is too thin, and really shouldn't be going XC until he's picked up a little.
Is he getting any hay/haylage in the field? If that's the grazing he's on (2nd pic), there isn't enough grass for a thin horse. He isn't going to gain weight if there's nothing for him to eat while he's out in the field. You can shovel in hard feed til the cows come home, but it won't help if he's not filling himself up with grass,hay or haylage

I genuinely do sympathise - I've had real problems with my two old ladies this winter - vet has come to both at different times to make sure they were ok, and diagnosed near heart failure in one, and temporo-mandibular joint arthritis in the other. I've got their weight stabilised by feeding Equijewel and ad lib haylage (and by ad lib, I mean they never, ever run out - they have 2 heston bale sections of haylage each overnight, and I put haylage out in the field 3 or 4 times a day. it has meant that my two boys have come out of winter a bit fat, but i'd rather they are porky and the girls are still alive!

EmmaB

Visit site
I wouldn't give him time off really, like you said - he will stiffen up. Plus he will need the work if he's getting more feed (vicious circle I know!). I would just cut his work down quite a bit. Short (15 mins max) but precise lunge sessions did my TB mare the world of good when I first got her. I'm on the work computer but otherwise I would have attached some before/after pics of the difference it made. I lunged her in a roller and made sure she was in a relaxed outline, even added some raised poles sometimes too to build her bottom up.

I would also maybe give him two feeds a day. Good luck :)

Thankyou, would def like to see pics when you can :)

I'll concentrate on feeding him up for now then, as well as the lunging instead of riding for a while and see I I can get him looking better by the next couple of weeks!

Re clip yes good point, though he has been well rugged at all times, next yr I'll leave him some hair!

EmmaB

Visit site
Agree that he is too thin, and really shouldn't be going XC until he's picked up a little.
Is he getting any hay/haylage in the field? If that's the grazing he's on (2nd pic), there isn't enough grass for a thin horse. He isn't going to gain weight if there's nothing for him to eat while he's out in the field. You can shovel in hard feed til the cows come home, but it won't help if he's not filling himself up with grass,hay or haylage

I genuinely do sympathise - I've had real problems with my two old ladies this winter - vet has come to both at different times to make sure they were ok, and diagnosed near heart failure in one, and temporo-mandibular joint arthritis in the other. I've got their weight stabilised by feeding Equijewel and ad lib haylage (and by ad lib, I mean they never, ever run out - they have 2 heston bale sections of haylage each overnight, and I put haylage out in the field 3 or 4 times a day. it has meant that my two boys have come out of winter a bit fat, but i'd rather they are porky and the girls are still alive!

He has hay overnight in the field but I can ask if we can put a big bale in there because no the grazing isn't great atm, though should be on better grass soon when they rotate.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I can see why they did make a call. IMO he is on the light side. I would cut back on his work, up his feed and get some good grass into him too.

I took care of an elderly ex-racer some years ago. Soaked barley rings worked wonders for him but some foods are not suitable for all.

Don't take it to heart but see it as an opportunity to improve things. Hope all goes well.

windand rain

Visit site
He is too thin but I guess he needs some good grass and a lot of small feeds of alfalfa oil and speedibeet about a scoop of each and I would include micronised linseed or copra or some other oil based food and as much hay as he will eat. It is very hard to balance work and feed in old horses but like many I have more trouble keeping the weight off so am going back in history for this information. He needs rugging very well too so he is never cold too

bonny

Visit site
It would help a lot if he wasn't clipped out especially as he lives out, I imagine that's where the problem lies.

flirtygerty

Visit site
My 20yr old TB looks a bit like a hat rack just now, he gets 3 walk only hacks a week, two feeds of easybeet and two sessions of in hand grazing a day, I have him in a LW rug (unclipped), he is slowly putting the weight back on, XC is hard and your lad does look a bit lean but having him clipped won't help, my lad lives out 24/7 and is a poor doer, but give him a month and he will gleam with good health and be well covered but not fat

EmmaB

Visit site
He is too thin but I guess he needs some good grass and a lot of small feeds of alfalfa oil and speedibeet about a scoop of each and I would include micronised linseed or copra or some other oil based food and as much hay as he will eat. It is very hard to balance work and feed in old horses but like many I have more trouble keeping the weight off so am going back in history for this information. He needs rugging very well too so he is never cold too

Thanks, have heard about the micronised linseed before so will look into that. He is always rugged up well, he only had his rug off for a while in the last couple of days when it was really nice so he could feel the sun as he's been covered up all winter! He's back in his full neck now so should be warm enough :)

honetpot

Visit site
I too have had an old TB and they get thin doing nothing. Looking at the amount of work he is doing he is not getting enough calories, http://www.dengie.com/horse-feeds/alfa-a/alfa-a-oil/ three scoops is no where near enough, I think a bucket is about a kilo and he should be having at least a bucket and depending on what sort of ready mash he is getting probably more. I would try some linseed, coolstance copra, or Baileys outshine and the spring grass should help as well.
I think lunging is actually harder work and will not be good for an older horses joints or feet, so I would hack but cut out the fast work. Try not to worry about the RSPCA he's just a bit thin but obviously healthy for his age, better that than he be way too fat and ready to go off his feet.

EmmaB

Visit site
I too have had an old TB and they get thin doing nothing. Looking at the amount of work he is doing he is not getting enough calories, http://www.dengie.com/horse-feeds/alfa-a/alfa-a-oil/ three scoops is no where near enough, I think a bucket is about a kilo and he should be having at least a bucket and depending on what sort of ready mash he is getting probably more. I would try some linseed, coolstance copra, or Baileys outshine and the spring grass should help as well.
I think lunging is actually harder work and will not be good for an older horses joints or feet, so I would hack but cut out the fast work. Try not to worry about the RSPCA he's just a bit thin but obviously healthy for his age, better that than he be way too fat and ready to go off his feet.

Hm thanks for the link, right if I up him to 5 scoops Alfa oil per day, and up the ready mash (it's the extra version) then hopefully I will see some results! I can long rein too so doesn't have to be just lunging :)

thanks, it just gets me down that people must be thinking I don't look after him when I try my hardest and put all my money and effort into him. I wanted him to be fit to keep him going but he also he looses the weight so easily over winter, its so hard when you see them everyday too, you don't notice the condition slipping and suddenly I'm having the rspca called out and it's a slap in the face that he's gone too skinny!

Last edited: