Something awful killed my mare today - any ideas or thoughts? (gruesome details, no photos)

Mustard

Visit site
We went up late this morning to our black mare and her little friend because we'd been moving the horses on the yard to a new field. They were on a field a couple of hundred yards along the road, so we left them till last. We'd checked them at 6 last night and she was bouncing around looking fabulous, with a black-patent coat.
When we found her today she was collapsed in absolute agony. Her eyelids had all the hair burnt off, and the skin underneath was bright red. They were very swollen and I'm pretty sure she was blind - her eyes looked milky. There were also similar patches inside one ear and between her forelegs. She'd obviously been like it for some time, as much of the field was churned up. She was beyond colicking and every breath was a groan. We called the vet but had to wait for an hour; it was horrendous. My thoughts are some sort of chemical attack, though the field is quite tucked away, and her companion, who is much smaller and older, was unharmed.
The only other thing we could think off was some kind of allergic reaction to an insect or something in the field. Has anyone got any ideas? The vet's first thought was that the colic had come first, and she had rubbed herself on the ground with pain, but the hairless areas were smooth, not scuffed, and how could she rub between her forelegs? He came round to our thoughts when the person with him said she thought there was a chemically smell.
It was a relief for her to go, for her and us.
My beautiful black girl, Dexie.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
im so sorry ! That sounds awful, poor girl

I am afraid it sounds quite like a sting or allergy! My vet said a few weeks ago that I have arrived just in time as my boy had an anaphylactic shock to a sting from something. His breathing was laboured he was roasting, his tongue and lips were 10 times the size and his eyes were bulging.
Did she have any hives? Bumps?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Oh my goodness how traumatic for you. I am so sorry for your loss, and for the manner of her passing.

Did the vet take any samples? I would be thinking allergic reaction or some kind of toxin.

SO1

Visit site
I am sorry for your loss that is awful.

I have no idea what that might be. Hopefully someone would not have thrown chemicals at her.

Could she have been stung by a snake.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
How awful for you to find her like that

The absolute cynic in me would say an attack by a person and she colicked in shock but the poison suggestion above is probably more logical but then if she's lived there for a while with no harm?

Could you have a postmortem done? I think I'd need to know or at least get some guage of what did it

misst

Visit site
Oh how awful for you and for her. My deepest sympathies. My first thought was poison or a chemical burn from a plant. An allergic reaction might have caused her to rub at her forlegs if it was something in the grass?

I think I would try and get a PM as often our brain paints complex horrible images and they turn out to be completely wrong. So sorry this has happened I cannot imagine your distress at finding you mare like that x

lynz88

Visit site
That's horrible!! First thing that came to my mind was that someone had singled her out, was chasing her, and burned her with something. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Could she have got to any Giant Hogweed? That can set off a horrible burn.

I guess you have to decide if you can put it behind you or if you need a PM to find out. I had one drop dead and I did a PM as I would not have settled without.

I am sorry for your loss and hope you can recover.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss, that sounds so awful for both of you.

Is it possible she came into contact with giant hogweed?

Eta..just seen it has been mentioned.

Palindrome

Visit site
I am sorry for your loss, I hope you find out what happened. My first thought is fireworks since you said about the hair being burnt off.

Widgeon

Visit site
That is absolutely horrific, I'm so sorry. Do try to look after yourself, it must have been an awful shock for you.

Sadly the only way you may get to find out what happened would be a PM.

I think I'd go that route too if it's affordable, otherwise I'd always be wondering. If she's not already been taken away, can you have a chat with your vet?

Caol Ila

Visit site
I have no idea, but that is horrific. So sorry for the loss of your beautiful mare. I would want to know what happened - if it's an allergic reaction or a poisonous plant in the field. Maybe she rubbed her face on something toxic if it burned her eyes?

Mustard

Visit site
Sadly the only way you may get to find out what happened would be a PM.

You say this is a "new field". What else is in the area?? and what is the history of the area, any mining or industrial history??

So very sorry this has happened. What a horrible shock.
She didn't get as far as the new field, unfortunately. The quarry out the back has got very close - I don't know if that could have thrown up something.
No Giant Hogweed or anything else poisonous in the field, and I've been there for years.

There is a scrapyard next door - that and the quarry are why we're moving. I don't know if there's anything poisonous there.

Mustard

Visit site
Thank you all for your good wishes; I do appreciate the time everyone has taken to reply.

She was very beautiful. I have owned her since she was 2, having known her from birth and also having owned her dam, so it feels very odd.