Sophie Seymour

donkeyindisguise

Visit site
For what it’s worth, I sent my mare to her last year and who sounds like she had similar but more extreme versions of your mare’s behaviour. It was without a doubt the best thing I could have done for her.

I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Sophie to anyone with a problem horse, she’s a genuinely lovely person who just seems to have something about her that horses respond to. I’m sure there plenty of other people who can do the same, but I can only speak of my experience.

Have a look for Sophie’s videos of Callisto, that’s my girl. She’s been home since October and is going from strength to strength seemingly enjoying being out and doing, we even went for our first XC schooling session this weekend and this is a horse everyone told me to cut my losses and sell!

Attachments

• 37E6A063-6C32-4F0E-AC3E-5FC731937371.jpeg
    37E6A063-6C32-4F0E-AC3E-5FC731937371.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 71

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I do have plenty of respect for her standing up to some online bullying from a different 'macho' trainer who seems much less inclined to listen to the horse. I also appreciate the fact she's made it very clear that a lot of problems have a veterinary issue at their heart - but that solving the veterinary issue alone often isn't enough to fix a horse with bad memories of previous experiences. Definitely someone attempting to be a force for good - even if i'm not totally on board with the jump training technique (as I too believe in training them slowly to so that stopping is never a necessary option).

Hallo2012

Visit site
i wouldn't use her personally, she seems too quick to think every issue can be solved by patting and kicking simultaneously but not taking a step back in training/changing the training and then gets defensive and rude if people question why the horse still looks stressed/confused.......

Connie Colfox seems to have a really solid, well rehearsed and logical training method that can be tailored to lots of situations and never loses her cool, gets my vote.

Durhamchance

Visit site
I think Sophie works well with the horses sent to her and can't say anything negative. But my loan boy went to Will Hunt who is fairly local to you I believe and his owner cant praise Will enough.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
i wouldn't use her personally, she seems too quick to think every issue can be solved by patting and kicking simultaneously but not taking a step back in training/changing the training and then gets defensive and rude if people question why the horse still looks stressed/confused.......

Connie Colfox seems to have a really solid, well rehearsed and logical training method that can be tailored to lots of situations and never loses her cool, gets my vote.
She literally approaches every horse according to its needs and I've never seen any of horses stressed or confused!
You're talking out of your a$$!

not everyone likes her , just like not everyone will like the next person discussed. But quite often I find these kinds of comments fuelled by jealousy, which is so rife in the horsey world.

OP- ask for personal recommendations and don't rely on opinions formed by following a Facebook page alone. Unless a person is seen abusing a horse on the social media, I don't put much value on the opinions of random strangers.
Maybe contact her for a chat and see how you feel about it?
She's got a track record of turning difficult horses around and doing so without cruelty and violence , it's then up to you to decide if she's the right person for the job or if there's someone more local with the same values.

Kimperkins500

Visit site
I don’t like threads like this. Like her or not, she’s a real person and an unsolicited named thread in which she’s pulled to bits publicly isn’t very nice. For anyone, that is.
I wanted an opinion. I was allowed to ask. Much like independent saddle fitters etc. this is to gain information, why would I jump feet first into something and pay near on £300 a week if I didn’t do my research from all angles.

Last edited:

Kimperkins500

Visit site
She literally approaches every horse according to its needs and I've never seen any of horses stressed or confused!

not everyone likes her , just like not everyone will like the next person discussed. But quite often I find these kinds of comments fuelled by jealousy, which is so rife in the horsey world.

OP- ask for personal recommendations and don't rely on opinions formed by following a Facebook page alone. Unless a person is seen abusing a horse on the social media, I don't put much value on the opinions of random strangers.
She's got a track record of turning difficult horses around and doing so without cruelty and violence , it's then up to you to decide if she's the right person for the job or if there's someone more local with the same values.

of course but she is very busy and hard to get hold off. I have spoken to her PA and asked me to call - I have done and text. Nothing, so to me even if you are busy you should contact potential new clients - or maybe that’s me! Options are welcome I’ve found many opinions far more helpful than anything else.

Kimperkins500

Visit site
Have you tested for PSSM? Sadly in iberians its more likely to be type 2 and its far more common than most people think.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Based on what I’ve seen and the work I’ve done with her I don’t think she quite matches up with having this. It’s something I could of course rule out. But with her hocks done and SI any gait abnormalities that she obviously had, resolved, due to her breed she’s on a molasses free diet.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I think that with what you’ve described, Sophie seems to have a lot of success in this sort of thing.

The other thing you could try is some in-hand work, and see how she responds. My Spanish horse didn’t like feeling like she didn’t know what I was asking of her - I think because miscommunication and mistakes were handled quite abruptly when she was broken, in Spain. Clarifying the communication and allowing her to understand what ‘getting it right’ felt like made her a lot less backward. I’m not meaning lots of vague ‘ground work’ things (I find they have the ability to confuse horses even more) but being really structured and teaching lateral work in hand.

Kimperkins500

Visit site
I think that with what you’ve described, Sophie seems to have a lot of success in this sort of thing.

The other thing you could try is some in-hand work, and see how she responds. My Spanish horse didn’t like feeling like she didn’t know what I was asking of her - I think because miscommunication and mistakes were handled quite abruptly when she was broken, in Spain. Clarifying the communication and allowing her to understand what ‘getting it right’ felt like made her a lot less backward. I’m not meaning lots of vague ‘ground work’ things (I find they have the ability to confuse horses even more) but being really structured and teaching lateral work in hand.
Yes I totally agree. She was worked - hard! And they are no where near as kind as what we are. It definitely does seem like a communication barrier. She is a saint on the ground. Her ground work is perfect, listens, always does her best and for the most part is foot perfect! I’m at a pivotal point where I think I need to persevere myself so as not to confuse her. I have a new saddle being fitted, vets have signed her off, and her physio os very happy.

IrishMilo

Visit site
She's a bit nicey nicey for me but clearly a lot of people like her style.

Just out of interest what sort of work are you trying to do with your mare and how long have you had her?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Yes she is a PRE imported.
In that case I would definitely try and find someone that has rehabbed Spanish imports before. In Spain some of the handling can be very strict on the horses, if they move a millimetre out of line they are put back very swiftly and strongly. This can really impact them and unpicking that can be a lot of work.

Have you been on the GBPRE facebook group? Loads of help and support on there :)

Kimperkins500

Visit site
She's a bit nicey nicey for me but clearly a lot of people like her style.

Just out of interest what sort of work are you trying to do with your mare and how long have you had her?

she is a very hot mare, I’ve no doubt she has memory from Spain and pain from untreated injuries. Under saddle she is so very sensitive and has a meltdown - she isn’t what I would say dangerous but I’ve had a nasty accident with her and my confidence has been knocked. For both of us right now I think it would be great to help bring on her education over here in Spain while I continue to regain my confidence and eventually be riding her independently with my trainer.
I just want to enjoy her and she enjoy the life she now has.
I’ve had her a year and half.

Kimperkins500

Visit site
In that case I would definitely try and find someone that has rehabbed Spanish imports before. In Spain some of the handling can be very strict on the horses, if they move a millimetre out of line they are put back very swiftly and strongly. This can really impact them and unpicking that can be a lot of work.

Have you been on the GBPRE facebook group? Loads of help and support on there :)
Oh yes! I’ve seen, makes me upset to be honest! I’ll have a look on there thankyou

Kimperkins500

Visit site
Isn't this the horse that back xrays showed an old injury which was why you were trying to sue the seller?
Yes, she was the sent to Newmarket after that post and had a bone scan, still showed multiple issues - more but it’s not worth my time. I sought legal advice and cut my losses and concentrate on her now

Hallo2012

Visit site

she asked for opinions, she got opinions.....not everyone will think the same.

no jealousy here, i am too busy with my own clients and horses to want or need to start taking on problem horses-very odd comment.

IMO theres been MANY times her horses have been sent XC or team chasing under prepped and/or on horrible ground. I have no time or respect for people that will risk their horses like that, but others will view it differently.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
SI and hocks are often a common symptom from postural issues, a lack of lift in the thoracic sling, and saddle woes will have contributed to that. Behavioural and physical in horses, imo, can't really be separated and I'd want someone who would very quietly work through a more holistic assessment than a vet might, those NQR niggles that they can't always get to the bottom of. I'd look to a programme like one I have come across recently, Equine Performance Development Training on FB, there's a masterclass that you could work through yourself, I'm seeing utter messes of horses progress massively.

I hear you that the issues are only when ridden, but I think getting down to why can't she "horse" when you're riding, looking at what's going on in her body and head (as I say, so often you can't separate them), identifying all the issues that stack up that she can't cope with. Just a different way of looking at it.

I have heard good things about Dovecote and they do deal with a lot of Iberians, I'm not sure how much experience he has with Iberians but I would recommend Dan Wain Equestrian in Warwickshire for these complex issues.

billylula

Visit site
I agree. She should have taken it schooling first. I thought it was a silly thiig to do - and worrying for its future that it stopped at everything. - this is about taking the Connie team chasing — don't seem to able to quote, sorry! I wouldn't trust her with any of mine!