Spaniel Update

twiggy2

Visit site
Think of the people that work rescue spanners. :)

I have worked with many of them over the years, the people and the dogs.
Little Ellie may surprise me and turn out to be a cracking dog. She is just nuts, if she gets in the house she does the wall of death including over all beds and furniture.
She just has no rules or boundaries, there is not a bad bone in her. If she was mine I would be getting her ball focused and offering her up for a bomb dog or similar, but she is not mine so I will see what I can do.

Think of the people who have 3! Think of the children! See, springers are NO bother! :p

Oh I would have packs of springers like Ellie and still find them easier than kids.

druid

Visit site
If you do want to work her stop and steadiness are your biggest needs, I use steadiness to teach stop but others work it differently.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Don't want to hijack this thread but Apercrumbie, I am interested to hear about training your Irish terrier...hoping to acquire one next year for my sins...!! :D:D

With great difficulty is the answer to how to train an Irish Terrier! I've never known such an independent, wilful dog. She's a cracker though - once we get her trained we'll have a fantastic dog.

She does exceptionally well at puppy classes but exceptionally poorly when she wants to do something else - pretty standard tbh. The key so far is always to walk her hungry, carry very exciting toys if you're doing any off lead work and know when to ignore her (ie. if she's ignoring you, run away making weird noises). Short and sharp training sessions - she's so intelligent so she gets things quickly and gets bored equally quickly. We have very specific ways of doing things - ie. for recall her nose has to touch your hand to get the treat. This means that she sees the hand go to position and runs towards it. Any deviation from that and you won't get a response.

I'll try to do a more detailed post at some point - she's a challenge but a joy and I think we'll eventually have a dog that other people would love to have. In many ways we already do.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
ie. if she's ignoring you, run away making weird noises

I would love to see that! :D I was once given advice to lie down to get the boys to recall. I didn’t actually do this because we used to walk in woods much frequented by other dog walkers before Zak turned feral. I feared I’d be stepped on. :eek: A squeaker from a toy works best, I find, but sight of a muntjac means all bets are off. :rolleyes:

palo1

Visit site
With great difficulty is the answer to how to train an Irish Terrier! I've never known such an independent, wilful dog. She's a cracker though - once we get her trained we'll have a fantastic dog.

She does exceptionally well at puppy classes but exceptionally poorly when she wants to do something else - pretty standard tbh. The key so far is always to walk her hungry, carry very exciting toys if you're doing any off lead work and know when to ignore her (ie. if she's ignoring you, run away making weird noises). Short and sharp training sessions - she's so intelligent so she gets things quickly and gets bored equally quickly. We have very specific ways of doing things - ie. for recall her nose has to touch your hand to get the treat. This means that she sees the hand go to position and runs towards it. Any deviation from that and you won't get a response.

I'll try to do a more detailed post at some point - she's a challenge but a joy and I think we'll eventually have a dog that other people would love to have. In many ways we already do.

Thanks for this: pretty much what I had expected to hear to be honest! My current dog who is older is a different breed and a rescue is bred and trained to be independent and pretty much self-directed. She is fantastically responsive to food treats in the right setting but in many other settings, with nose to the ground and ears on shutdown I have less impact on her!! Thankfully we have our own ground which is very well fenced, she is beautifully stock trained (we have a variety) and fab in the house so may be a helpful role model...I am very much aware of the need for short, exciting, high reward training sessions with a terrier but still am expecting surprises and a wide variety of challenges!!:):)