Spaniel Update

Clodagh

Visit site
Kimberleigh - if nothing else teach her the stop whistle. At least it gives you time to gather your thoughts and try to see where it all went wrong!

Clodagh

Visit site
As she walks along with you blow a long peep and stop yourself. It does help if they have learned sit!! Get that first. :) Youtube has all the answers!!

kimberleigh

Visit site
As she walks along with you blow a long peep and stop yourself. It does help if they have learned sit!! Get that first. :) Youtube has all the answers!!

She sits/downs/comes but not paired with actual verbal commands - more body language rather than hand signals too 🙈 come is just to me whistling, rather than to an actual blow on a whistle. She will stop/sit/down just watching me so im guessing I could use capturing to train it reliably? She's obsessed with me, despite me never having paid her much attention (due to me believing shes a bit too sensitive for my style of training...) but seems shes begging for me to work with her so I should give it a go really!

Clodagh

Visit site
Well today, for the first time ever, I took the spaniel for a walk and she didn't just vanish over the horizon. Amazing. It was not relaxing, fine, but she didn't just sod off. Those of you who don't own one cannot imagine how exciting that is! To go for a walk and have your dog in sight the whole way!! Woo hoo. Progress. :)

skinnydipper

Visit site
I was once asked to take a Springer. Father had left home and mother bought child a Springer pup as a consolation prize. It had reached young adulthood without any sort of training. I had a houseful so couldn't take it.

Clodagh, if I had known you at the time I could have put them in touch.:)

Annette4

Visit site
Well today, for the first time ever, I took the spaniel for a walk and she didn't just vanish over the horizon. Amazing. It was not relaxing, fine, but she didn't just sod off. Those of you who don't own one cannot imagine how exciting that is! To go for a walk and have your dog in sight the whole way!! Woo hoo. Progress. :)

I don’t have a spaniel but I do have a 1yo lurcher with selective recall at the moment so I fully understand this joy! :)

Clodagh

Visit site
I don’t have a spaniel but I do have a 1yo lurcher with selective recall at the moment so I fully understand this joy! :)

She reached the pinnacle when she vansihed far enough to cross the back road to the airport, a few weeks ago. I stopped walking her off lead for a bit but then decided I just had to accept if she got run over so be it, my more relaxed frame of mind seems to have helped! If you really love Dobby that might not work though. :)

Clodagh

Visit site
I was once asked to take a Springer. Father had left home and mother bought child a Springer pup as a consolation prize. It had reached young adulthood without any sort of training. I had a houseful so couldn't take it.

Clodagh, if I had known you at the time I could have put them in touch.:)

Gee, thanks!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
God no - I got rid of him once - never again! Has he been rearranging the fencing again?

No! He’s worked out ways to get out without damage. Suppose I should be grateful for that much at least. Had suspected for a while he was having adventures, finding random poos where they shouldn’t be. Been caught in the act tonight.

Shady

Visit site
A challenge? Not for me, that is why I like labradors.
Lol, try a Bleu de Gascogne hound! Every Frenchman who saw us laughed their arses off and declared they are NEVER pets and she would begger off at the first opportunity .
I can't tell you how determined i was to prove these old farts wrong and yes it took a while but eventually we got to '' not too far '' meant stay where i can see you and ''Allez '' meant do what you want but come when i whistle. It was amazing how much money was offered me for her after that :D She is the most amazing dog i could ever wish to have.:)

Apercrumbie

Visit site

I completely understand the feeling although ironically our spaniel was the only dog we've ever had with spot on recall and who stuck to us like glue. It was our setter and current Irish terrier that are the recall fiends!

palo1

Visit site
Don't want to hijack this thread but Apercrumbie, I am interested to hear about training your Irish terrier...hoping to acquire one next year for my sins...!! :D:D

twiggy2

Visit site
I am going to be setting off on springer training dutiea, starting in the next few day.
Th mother of the pups has no training on board, is 2 and a half, she does not run off and does have a recal of sorts but just cannot stop moving.
Last pup goes Monday and I must invest time in the springer and the collie.
So Clodagh what do you feel should be taught first?

druid

Visit site
Depends what you want her for - trialling people say teach go before you teach whoa. Pet wise recall and stop come first imo

Clodagh

Visit site
Druid has trained a million spaniels, I am failing with one! I would say the stop whistle, Smut's is so good that one long peep and she skids on her bum like a quarter horse. (Unless she has already gone...).

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Recall, all the way. That way, they can’t get in trouble with other dogs.

What do you want to do with her, Twiggy? We can all give you advice but it all depends what you want from her.

twiggy2

Visit site
Recall, all the way. That way, they can’t get in trouble with other dogs.

What do you want to do with her, Twiggy? We can all give you advice but it all depends what you want from her.

She is not mine and never will be, so I just want her to be a bit more controllable. She is not remotely interested in other dogs (except of course when she ended up in pup😉 and that was before I was here), so won't ever get herself in dog trouble, her recall is good enough that you would never lose her and she does not stray too far.
The biggest thing I would like with her is steadiness I suppose.
What I am probably asking is, what does everyone with spaniels find is the most useful piece of training they have?
I don't have to walk the dogs in parks and the like, it's farms and open land especially the spaniels cos they have not one ounce of interest in livestock.

twiggy2

Visit site
I am wondering if clicker training would work for her?
17ish years of teaching dog training and training dogs and I can't see the wood for getting trees with where to start with this little bitch.

Clodagh

Visit site
I have decided, against the advice of everyone that ever owned a spaniel, ever, that I want a dog that can relax enough on a walk to have a sniff at things, eat a bit of grass, and enjoy it, rather than running like a frantic loon. Who knows if it will work but on her walk this afternoon she did do a few smells and grab some grass in passing. I took her down to the stream and she paddled and had a drink and was actually quite a pleasant companion. She can only do canter or gallop but I don't think I have ever seen a spaniel go slower than that anyway, but with less nagging she is still being very good.
On my way home we called in at my mums for a cup of tea and she didn't even wet herself! (The spaniel, although I don't think mum did either.:D)

Clodagh

Visit site
She is not mine and never will be, so I just want her to be a bit more controllable. She is not remotely interested in other dogs (except of course when she ended up in pup😉 and that was before I was here), so won't ever get herself in dog trouble, her recall is good enough that you would never lose her and she does not stray too far.
The biggest thing I would like with her is steadiness I suppose.
What I am probably asking is, what does everyone with spaniels find is the most useful piece of training they have?
I don't have to walk the dogs in parks and the like, it's farms and open land especially the spaniels cos they have not one ounce of interest in livestock.

The stop, for sure, I assume she will go beating this winter? Stop to flush is good, but you need a spanner person to tell you how best to achieve that.