Sponsored ride tomorrow 'Ride for Heroes!' - any tips?

Nickijem

Visit site
I am doing a sponsored ride tomorrow in aid of Help the Heroes. It is set to be quite a big affair - the Household Cavalry will be there and taking part. I went last year so I sort of know what to expect except that my horse was a bit of a pain! He got very wound up at the start then was very silly when other horses passed us.
We did go quite late so that we would avoid the rush but still people overtook us. I can't go at a fast pace as I am with my friend on her aged horse so any tips how to cope when riders go past?
I am beginning to wish I had invested in some sort of calmer! If only for myself:rolleyes:

3Beasties

Visit site
He may surprise you and be much calmer this time, the first fun ride I took C on he was a pain but last time I took him he was perfect :)

Hope you have a good time!

As for a calmer for yourself......take a hip flask :D :p :D

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
Just relax and enjoy it. The easiest way to make them relax is just to sit there and act like nothing is going on.

Agree with the hip flask! Could come in usefull.

Nickijem

Visit site
Hip flask! Great idea - thanks!

I think I have butterflies because I am half nervous but half excited!
I love oggling - sorry I mean talking to - the soldiers in the Household Cavalry - it really makes me proud to be British to have these brave soldiers represent the country.
Cavblack - you must be incredibly proud of your fella - and yes, I'll remind them all to sit straight and heels down!

Thanks for the tips - esp the hip flask one!:D

Cavblacks

Visit site
Hip flask! Great idea - thanks!

I think I have butterflies because I am half nervous but half excited!
I love oggling - sorry I mean talking to - the soldiers in the Household Cavalry - it really makes me proud to be British to have these brave soldiers represent the country.
Cavblack - you must be incredibly proud of your fella - and yes, I'll remind them all to sit straight and heels down!

Thanks for the tips - esp the hip flask one!:D

How was it Nickijem?!

Yeah, I get incredibly proud of all of them, been riding there for 18months now and it's the best thing I've ever done. I had tears in my eyes when I watched at the Trooping of the Colour this year.
x
PS they love all the attention! When they go on guard they compare how many phone numbers get put in their jack bookts by admiring ladies!

Winklepoker

Visit site
Hi Cav,

Is your hubby in the HHC? Mine was in Windsor for 4years attached to the cavalry and was our first posting together. :)

Cavblacks

Visit site
Hi Cav,

Is your hubby in the HHC? Mine was in Windsor for 4years attached to the cavalry and was our first posting together. :)

Eek :eek: Not hubby yet! Haha I'll show him this and he'll run a mile!!!!!

But yes, I met him through riding out from Knightsbridge Barracks, he was in Windsor untill he finished his last Afghan tour 2 years ago, then 18 months ago got moved back to the ceremonial side to step up a rank or two!

Were you posted in Windsor too? Such a nice town :)