Sponsorship...

strides-eventing

Visit site
Does anybody have any experience in gaining sponsorship?
I have sent out many sponsorship letters, well written and personalised for each and every company or service that they were sent to and had no luck.
I have had luck in writing a few articles online on certain small up and coming companies that have had good short term outcomes. But what about the long term?
I'm trying to get my name out as much as I can, I have a website www.strides-eventing.co.uk where I keep a personal blog on my entrance to the eventing world, along with various articles on the equine world and writing for Horsemart. I also actively search for work experience inbetween work and college as, not only am I interested in competing, but I am dedicated in following a career in equine therapy and rehabilitation, and improving performance. I am about to study Equine Performance at Hartpury also.
So does anyone have some useful tips for gaining sponsorship that they can share?
Thanks!

jrp204

Visit site
Unfortunately I think companies are looking for more than a website, they want results. You have to be out competing, winning and being a shop window for your sponsers. Sarah-Jane http://www.shoestringeventing.co.uk/ is a good example, and she is in cornwall too, she works very hard promoting her sponsers as well as working full time and competing to a very high level.
There are so many youngsters in your shoes, most like you are dedicated, hard working and want to make it their career but the unfortunate truth is for most it will only ever be a very expensive hobby that we have to fund ourselves. Keep up with the letter writing, get on the results board and hopefully someone may decide to give you some support.

strides-eventing

Visit site
I just want to say by sending letters I wasn't just expecting sponsorship a the click of a finger haha (would be good though). I agree they want results, but it's very hard without sponsorship or support. Geographically,there are not any close to home BE events and I cannot yet justify the expense of becoming a member, and the event fees and travelling fees to be able to get the kind of results companies may be looking for. I already work 2 jobs, and write for Horsemart, while studying my A Levels, I don't think I have many more hours in a day to be able to get another job! I'm beginning to think only people born into money get anywhere in this sphere... I don't like to think of it as "an expensive hobby" (what I regularly hear from my boyfriend, mum and friends!) - I try to concentrate on it as a career. I realise the equine world is a difficult one to get results in - all work and no money - but I am dedicated I'm going to get in it! Thanks for your input :)

popsdosh

Visit site
I am afraid its a harsh reality but no company is likely to sponsor you.As said before only the top few in this sport get any meaningful sponsorship.A lot of riders may get sponsorship through family businesses however this is just a tax dodge to avoid paying it on money they would be paying out any way.The most support most riders get from companies is just in products that are either given or charged at a reduced rate.This although very welcome still does not pay the entries and travelling.

strides-eventing

Visit site
I don't expect travelling or entry fees to be covered by sponsors. The most I would expect is exposure, then services or products at a reduced rate. I just mean at present I cannot afford to compete with BE (to get results some companies may like to see) as it would be nearly impossible for me to get there. I can still compete at more local events at the moment and then I will be at Hartpury where I can compete regularly. I know of amateur riders who are sponsored by companies such as Mountian Horse and other companies that only compete at local events and a bit of novice BE. And I have also been contacted by companies willing to sponsor me with exciting (expensive!) products about to be launched so I don't think it's impossible for riders like me. I was just asking for people to share useful tips to help gain sponsorship.

jrp204

Visit site
"Geographically,there are not any close to home BE events and I cannot yet justify the expense of becoming a member, and the event fees and travelling fees to be able to get the kind of results companies may be looking for"

We are further south than you by over an hour so fully appreciate the travelling involved, my daughter has done a few BE's with a couple of placings, she has competed at junior BS and now seniors for the past 5 years and has been fairly successful during this time, she has represented her PC at area comps, qual. nat champs. We are usually competing 2 or 3 times a month and it is damned expensive. I would love to get her some sponsership but i know she is still not competing at a high enough level, local comps are rarely enough unless you have a very generous, very local company (tack shop) who may give you a saddle pad with their logo on.
So, I'm sorry I agree with your family it is an expensive hobby but i am willing to support her until she is earning herself, I doubt i would try to get any sponsership until she was at least getting regular placings at Novice.
We do not have a massive income either so have to forgo little things such as holidays, tidy cars, eating etc! and i'm sure we are not alone on that one either.

strides-eventing

Visit site
Yeah I agree... I know sponsorship will come later when competing at a higher level, but we have to start somewhere and I really want to atleast get my name out there. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience and tips for successful sponsorship relationships i.e how they promote companies other than just saddle pads etc.

trickivicki

Visit site
Hi Erin,

I have had a look through your website and noticed a few things that wouldn't help you find that dream sponsor;

You do not mention the following-

-past results
-past rides
-your experience
-what level you are competing at
-what level you hope to compete at
-when you will be competing

I would also take off any photos that show Tyde in a questionable light (you need to really sell yourself!!).

And- the events calendar section is completely empty?? I would take it off or fill it up.

I hope you do have some luck but I wouldn't rely on it.

V x

strides-eventing

Visit site
Yeah that's probably because I've had him since he was 3 and brought him on myself, I have taken him to low level dressage and showjumping but I don't beleive in rushing young horses into competing hard when they're still learning basics. And before Tyde I had a string of ponies when I was younger and my parents didn't push me into competing when I was young. I don't beleive that would be relevent on my site. The only images that show him in a questionable light was when he had ulcers (the endoscope videos) and I would rather not hide that, I write openly and honestly and his ulcers previously are not an issue. And I find that it was an interesting learning curve, the site is not only to sell myself but give me a reference point and to learn from the past etc.
To be honest, the site has only been up since Christmas and New Year, and so there isn't a million past events experience details on it and I'm still working on it, it will come in time.
Like I said, I don't expect sponsorship at the click of a finger and am aware of these factors. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience and tips for successful sponsorship relationships.

jrp204

Visit site
Yeah I agree... I know sponsorship will come later when competing at a higher level, but we have to start somewhere and I really want to atleast get my name out there. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience and tips for successful sponsorship relationships i.e how they promote companies other than just saddle pads etc.

I agree we have to start somewhere and the only way to 'get your name out there' is to be 'there', if you know what i mean. My daughter has produced her 2 from babies, competing a young horse doesn't have to mean rushing it, by being out and being seen producing your own young horse to a good standard is a good advert for your abilities, our 2 were out constantly, at any sort of comp (shows, dressage, sj, ode's and pc) to gain experience, they were not pushed but gained a good background in all disciplines. I have had a look at your website and agree with a previous poster, you need to put your background, previous results etc, put some pics of you and Tyde at some comps looking professional (doesn't matter how low level they are) and personally i would remove the pic of you hugging him (but thats just me). Can't comment on ' relationships' with sponsers as we haven't any! just bank of mum and dad.

Holl&Ru

Visit site
I currently have six sponsors, or several other companies who have made one off donations to me, so I've had a bit of experience on the relationship side of things.
Firstly, my website clearly sets out what I want and why, I don't think you can justify asking for a sponsor without these things. I list the most prohibitive costs for a differently abled rider; travel for me an the team, physio and chiro treatments for both me and the horses, shipping horses to and from competition, and point out the in a lot of shows our section has the lowest prize money, but arguably takes the most dedication :rolleyes:
It then sets out (for donators only) what they get in return, I prefer to privately negotiate with potential sponsors, e.g. donate x and I'll take your company's banner with me to every competition and hang it in the stabling, your name will go on the site etc.
For sponsors I've been in many respects lucky, as most of them approached me and said what they wanted in return. Custom Saddlery said that they wanted to feature me on their website (being listed with Steffen Peters :eek: died a little when I saw it!) and visa versa, and use branded saddlecloths in the warm-up at competitions.
Equine Pacifica, (equine and human massage)on the other hand, are comparatively tiny, want to use photos on their social media pages and do a lot of promotion for me. I do pretty much the same in return, we don't have branded products, but I recommend them on my facebook, tag them in photos where Ru is looking very supple or doing stretches because they are largely responsible.
But it doesn't come without its problems. When in 2010 my main ride was injured and we had to pull out of a very large competition we lost several major sponsors. Our being on the list was a major pull for sponsors and some did desert me especially when we made the decision to let the horse go back to her owner and find me a new ride. This is something you have to be prepared for - largely sponsorship is on their terms, what will you do if suddenly you lose all support, or companies go bust?
Thankfully a lot of great supporters stayed with me (Custom Saddlery refitted my saddle to Rudi when I finally got a new ride etc) and I've also been lucky that my yard is sponsored to I get benefits from that too.
Communication is key with sponsors, I forward news articles, pro pics, results to them - even if they don't run them online, I want them to know exactly what I'm doing to achieve my goals.

ETS - I also require to compete a 'converter' on my bridle so that it acts as a double but I can still use it, and reins with loops that are easier to me to hold onto and adjust. 2 of my sponsors ended up collaborating to come up with a new product for me, and have since entered into a working relationship together, selling each others products etc. So that's just an example - though rare - or something special that a rider can offer to their sponsors.

Last edited:

squiz22

Visit site
Its a difficult situation because you'll need to have a record of your results and be a proven rider to have people interested in you. Eventing is costly but a lot of it is down to priorities. There was a post on here about how we all justify the cost of eventing and most of us agreed we go without a lot to be able to compete at BE events.

If you are really serious then what about setting up a savings account this year and putting in money that you could use to event at affiliate events next year. You don't have to become a member.. you could go on day tickets. This year you can set yourself a plan such as competing at UA events especially those held at venues which also hold affiliated events do as much as you possibly can to prepare for next year.

At the same time you can volunteer at BE events to get further insight into it or you can try and write small articles for local horse magazines etc. You could always report on the bigger events on your website - theres plenty of scope to adapt your webiste.

You could even see if anyone else would like you to compete their horse and you can start putting a portfolio together of your results.

Its really hard to get sponsorship. I compete at affiliated events and I blog away on my website but I'm certainly not 'sponsorship material'.

I don't think you should be disheartened though. You are in a good position because you are young and you are thinking about this now. With some for sight you could be in a much better position in a few years.

measles

Visit site
I agree with the advice of the others above. Determination and committment will get you places but you need experience to go with them, if that means working weekends at an event yard while at college/uni and volunteering at events and attending everything you can to listen , learn and crucially network. Without competition experience at a fair level your website alone won't bring in interest.

I admire your enthusiasm hugely but your website is not "professional" enough to appeal to sponsors. I don't mean that to be negative but I'd be more likely to ask you for an interview for a yard job based on it than give you money or products. Keep going - it is possible to make a career with horses but you do have to sacrifice just about everything else. That, or get a "normal" well paid job and keep a horse on the side.

Why not volunteer to help at a local event yard at weekends and during the summer holidays? Very best of luck - enthusiasm should be rewarded :)

trickivicki

Visit site
Yeah that's probably because I've had him since he was 3 and brought him on myself, I have taken him to low level dressage and showjumping but I don't beleive in rushing young horses into competing hard when they're still learning basics. And before Tyde I had a string of ponies when I was younger and my parents didn't push me into competing when I was young. I don't beleive that would be relevent on my site. The only images that show him in a questionable light was when he had ulcers (the endoscope videos) and I would rather not hide that, I write openly and honestly and his ulcers previously are not an issue. And I find that it was an interesting learning curve, the site is not only to sell myself but give me a reference point and to learn from the past etc.
To be honest, the site has only been up since Christmas and New Year, and so there isn't a million past events experience details on it and I'm still working on it, it will come in time.
Like I said, I don't expect sponsorship at the click of a finger and am aware of these factors. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience and tips for successful sponsorship relationships.

Everything you have done before is important as it would give any potentials more of an idea of who YOU are, which is what you are asking them to invest in.

It is a lovely, well written website it just doesn't give off the 'I am a serious competitor you NEED to get associated with me I AM going places' vibe that you need.

popsdosh

Visit site
It is not so easy to get sponsors at all at present.You will find it particularly difficult within eventing to promote them ,For example you mention having advertising on your trailer etc this is not viable as Vosa and the Taxman will both be after you.Also within BE you can only carry branding advertising for businesses that are also BE members.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think as others have said you will struggle. You really need to be competing at affiliated (and doing quite well), I'd say at the very least BE Novice level before anyone will even glance at you. Amateurs find it incredibly difficult to get sponsorship, some manage but very few. I'm very lucky that I have 2 companies who support me. My main one has paid for entry fees for the big events I've done but they certainly dont cover all the other costs involved (and other entry fees its taken to get there) and I wouldnt expect them to do so. They also provide me with their products regularly and send me nice little presents like jodphurs etc. which is lovely. In return I advertise their company on my jacket (which I warm up in) and on the trailer. I also try to support their facebook page and speak to them regularly with updates etc. Another 2 companies gave me a stock of their items which was nice, one was a one-off but the other sends me any new items they have occasionally. So I just wear their stuff (both are clothing) as much as I can at events.

So what I'm saying is that even if you manage to get a sponsor, they won't be able to pay for everything like all your BE fees for example - it just wont happen. They might help sometimes but only on a small scale financially. You have to put it in yourself sadly! You might pick up some freebies from the odd company but thats about it. The financial climate is difficult for companies at the moment so they're not looking to throw cash / products around. Best of luck to you though, prove us all wrong!

TarrSteps

Visit site
Just a related note, if you are going to think of riding as a career then you have to expect to invest in it, just as you would in any other field. No one expects to be sponsored to become a doctor or an accountant or even something like an estate agent or shopkeeper.

I'm not trying to be insulting and, as above, your enthusiasm should be encouraged. That's my point. To succeed you will need more than a few saddle pads, you need experience and connections and education. Part of what sponsors want is to be associated with a winning image and to see what the person can do for them. Think about what YOU have to offer. And how you can get more to offer. Can you take a course and write it up for a magazine? Do you have any skills you could trade for lessons? Can you connect with organisations, like Pony Club, that might include an attractive market for a potential sponsor? Why you and not the next guy?

strides-eventing

Visit site
Just want to put it out there that I know that the equine world is a self invested one (think anyone would realise this after 13 yrs in the equine world) and I don't expect sponsors to PAY for everything, it's about the SUPPORT. I also know that my website isn't "professional"... yet! It's only been up for a couple months and I'm still getting to grips with it, editting it. I also want to put it out there that inbetween working 2 jobs, writing for Horsemart and studying my A levels I do help at an eventing yard and a training and rehabilitation yard. Experience and connections are what I am concentrating on at the moment. I know I need this, I am asking about people's sponsorship relationships.

georgiegirl

Visit site
If you help out at an event yard could you try and see if you could do some work for them in return for a lift along to any of the events they go to with your horse? You will be able to pick up experience from the people you are travelling with and gain some exposure and competition experience at the same time.

That would be an easier way to get out eventing and will make you a much more attractive candidate for a potential sponsor. Unfortunately if your not out doing it then I doubt anyone will take the risk financially supporting someone who is an unknown quantity however enthusiastic they are.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I think what people are telling is what sponsors want are results. :) Results from you that will get them noticed and results for them in increased traffic. So if they give you clothes they want to know you will be seen in those clothes and will big them up to their target market. Part of that is you making yourself as attractive as possible so other people see you as someone to trust and aspire to be like.

Yes, sponsors will expect you to keep them informed. And they will expect you to present a professional picture. People aren't insulting your website, they are saying, if they wanted to sponsor you, they would want to see a different image. Explaining why it is what it is is all very well but in your relationship with your sponsors it's not just about what you might be able to do with their money, it's about the now.

Treat your sponsors/owners well. Communicate often, work to get them any perks they might get by being associated with you. Invite them to functions and look after them. Make sure all your communications are correct and businesslike. Including anything you post on forums or the like.

Make sure you know the rules. As above, you are not allowed to advertise them on your trailer so don't promise that. Same with saddle pads - you can't just put any logo on. Okay, you might get a one off by over promising but as you say, you are looking to build a long term relationship.

Please don't take this personally, that's not how anyone means their comments. I have been very lucky over the years to have people pay for my involvement in horses and I am very, very grateful. I hope I have given back in terms of enjoyment and professionalism. Ask yourself every day, are you giving back to the people who are paying. And it's not always as fun as it looks, to be playing with other people's money. It can be very stressful and precarious. Horses are very hard work. But so are people. ;)

TheoryX1

Visit site
OP, I echo everything Tarr Steps says. I am one of the elusive breed that will sponsor an event rider, albeit my own daughter. One of the things I would like to add to you is that I looked at your website and what you have written with a fairly critical eye, ie, the kind of eye a sponsor would have. At no point have you offered to give your sponsor anything back.

Now my daughter is a bit different. I make sure that my company, as sponsors, get advertising, we use her in company literature, we make sure she is seen and have photos taken and we get a mention on the xc commentary, providing the commentator has taken the time to read the information provided - not all of them do.

For us sponsors, its our hard earned cash we are giving to you, whether its in the form of rugs and saddle cloths and jackets, or event entries - it all costs us money. My company has been generous to Mini Tx in the past, but times are hard now and we dont give our money away willingly. I was approached about 18 months for a lad who was on the long list for the junior euros and he put together a fairly credible proposal. However, all he said was what he would get out of it, and that was mainly his sponsor paying £500 plus FEI event entries and also fully funding his lorry. He didnt say what he could give his his sponsor. OK, he competes at a high and higher profile level than Mini TX, who competes at BE Novice, but at least she gives us publicity back. He wasnt interested in what was in it for the sponsor, which was a bad mistake to make as we were seriously considering supporting him.

Sorry to sound so hard, but thats it in cold economic facts. Though saying that, do you not have a family member with their own business prepared to do something for you, or maybe a friend? I wish you luck, and no, we arent looking for any more sponsored riders, sorry.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Just to give you an idea of what I offer sponsors http://www.shoestringeventing.co.uk/sponsorship.html. I obviously have a more detailed proposal that can be emailed or posted.

My relationship with sponsors has built up over years although despite being amateur and further down than you I still get sponsors approaching me. Cash, bedding and a lorry are yet to be forthcoming but I have some fantastic companies support me with their products and services because I have a high social media profile

I am always careful to make sure I give back as much as I can to my sponsors and am proud that 2 of my sponsors have supported me for nearly 10 years. I can pick up the phone to them and always promote new products and ideas. A word of advice don't look randomly for sponsors but only for products you rate and would use. I always at the beginning of any sponsorship sit down and work out what they need from me and how I can give it to them and more!