Spot bott goes BD'ing again

rowy

Visit site
So decided to take Rowan out to a different venue. He has been here lots of times before but not for almost a year.
Warmed up lovely, really forward off my leg, although he saw a horse he decided he fancied and just stared at it all the time.
Went into the ring and he was paying me maybe 30% attention. Really dropped off my leg, albeit not as bad as he sometimes does. Decided he really didn't like left canter for some reason (it was novice 35). But best medium trots he has done.
Disappointed with 61.5%. And last out of 5.

Second class was novice 24 in the tiny outdoor. Thought it would go badly wrong as he tends to lose concentration outdoors but he actually stayed concentrating on me the whole time. Plus we had forwardness!! did really good medium trots again but he kept trying to stop in the walk for some reason and he didnt feel very supple around the corners. Ended up with 62.3%. and 4th out of %. Really disappointed again. A horse that did the whole test with its head in the air only scored 3% lower than us! Really didn't think he did that badly.

A bit down about it all because I have been training him for 2 years now and at home he goes so so well but at the competition it doesnt seem to come through and sometimes it doesn't seem like the judges take us seriously against all the big moving warmbloods.
I had a lesson yesturday with him and he went a-maze-ing!!! Why can't he go like that in the ring and prove the judges wrong?!?!

I am competing again on sunday so it will be interesting to see what we get.

just a few pics from the first test as we had a flat tyre!

Here is Row sporting his new browband that I made! The browband business is going really well and I love it :D

ann-jen

Visit site
Well I think those are good scores so well done!
I find dressage frustrating as I can get good scores when I know things could have gone better and crap scores when I've really been expecting better! I wouldn't look at your overall placing but just compare your marks and comments to previous tests and see where you have improved and what could have gone better.
But if you can get over 60% on a day when you feel the horse isn't concentrating then I think you are doing pretty well!

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Don't be so negative! You sound like me! It is hard though, I've had doug 5 years now, finally was getting somewhere about 2 years ago and its just getting worse and worse and I don't do any dressage anymore :( but you shouldn't be like that because he is a lovely boy and looks like he wants to work well for you :) :) your scores are good too!

P.s. If you ever want to model your browbands on a beautiful chestnut.... ;) :p

3Beasties

Visit site
Sorry to hear you're disappointed, those scores sound pretty good to me though :) Is it lack of energy do you think that makes him drop behind the leg?

You both look great in the piccys!

Or a coloured :p :D She'd look ace in a silver one ;) :D

pootleperkin

Visit site
I feel your pain! Our work at home is getting v good, but can't figure out how to reproduce it at shows. Warm uo is a nightmare, as doesn't take long to get tired. Also, judges vary in marking a fair but, so don't be too despondant.

It'll happen though - we must be positive! :)

trendybraincell

Visit site
I feel your pain.

I can get Shadwick going so well at home but he fades in a test, I think most of it is because at home I ride according to how he's going, if I need a bit more bend you can stick a circle in, transitions where you need them to make them sharper etc but obviously you can't do that in the test. Recently I had resigned myself to not getting any farther with him as we just seemed stuck for a very long time. But a kick up the arse from both trainers and one outing in particular really reminded me that they can do it, more often than not its a case of us being too soft on them!!

Have you seen the video of Cardi doing his GP. He's a Welsh Cob, if he can do it...then I'm damn sure I'm gonna push myself and Shadow!!!

Do you have any recent videos? Its impossible to tell his way of going just with the pictures.

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
Don't know anything about dressage but he is loooovely! I am sure you will get there with competing though, don't get downhearted!!
LOVE the browband, do you sell them? I've been looking for one like that for a while but in silver?

rowy

Visit site
Well I think those are good scores so well done!
I find dressage frustrating as I can get good scores when I know things could have gone better and crap scores when I've really been expecting better! I wouldn't look at your overall placing but just compare your marks and comments to previous tests and see where you have improved and what could have gone better.
But if you can get over 60% on a day when you feel the horse isn't concentrating then I think you are doing pretty well!

Thanks :) I know they aren't bad but its just frustrating when you see a lot of people doing really well. I think as he improves, certain aspects get better and some get worse.

Don't be so negative! You sound like me! It is hard though, I've had doug 5 years now, finally was getting somewhere about 2 years ago and its just getting worse and worse and I don't do any dressage anymore :( but you shouldn't be like that because he is a lovely boy and looks like he wants to work well for you :) :) your scores are good too!

Haha I know I am too negative. Just fed up of coming last! It costs so much to BD and it feels like it would be more efficient to just burn it instead :p
I will keep you in mind ;)

Sorry to hear you're disappointed, those scores sound pretty good to me though :) Is it lack of energy do you think that makes him drop behind the leg?

You both look great in the piccys!

Or a coloured :p :D She'd look ace in a silver one ;) :D

He has plenty of energy at home and in the warmup, i think he is just a typical man and can;t do too things at once- gaup at everything and go forward :p I might try some energy boosting food though. He is a good doer so I am a bit worried about him putting on weight now he is looking nice and stream lined.

I feel your pain! Our work at home is getting v good, but can't figure out how to reproduce it at shows. Warm uo is a nightmare, as doesn't take long to get tired. Also, judges vary in marking a fair but, so don't be too despondant.

It'll happen though - we must be positive! :)

Same with Rowan- I am cautious about not doing too much warmup but at the same time I need to get him spiced up a bit for the ring.

rowy

Visit site
I feel your pain.

I can get Shadwick going so well at home but he fades in a test, I think most of it is because at home I ride according to how he's going, if I need a bit more bend you can stick a circle in, transitions where you need them to make them sharper etc but obviously you can't do that in the test. Recently I had resigned myself to not getting any farther with him as we just seemed stuck for a very long time. But a kick up the arse from both trainers and one outing in particular really reminded me that they can do it, more often than not its a case of us being too soft on them!!

Have you seen the video of Cardi doing his GP. He's a Welsh Cob, if he can do it...then I'm damn sure I'm gonna push myself and Shadow!!!

Do you have any recent videos? Its impossible to tell his way of going just with the pictures.

I have seen a video on youtube of a welsh doing GP and it did remind me of Rowan. I can imagine him piaffing but just not much else :p
Those pictures are from a video but it takes me forever to upload on youtube and was a bit put off by what happened last time I posted a video of him!

Don't know anything about dressage but he is loooovely! I am sure you will get there with competing though, don't get downhearted!!
LOVE the browband, do you sell them? I've been looking for one like that for a while but in silver?

Yes I do and I have a facebook page. Pm me if you want the link as don't want to be told off for advertising!

trendybraincell

Visit site
I have seen a video on youtube of a welsh doing GP and it did remind me of Rowan. I can imagine him piaffing but just not much else :p
Those pictures are from a video but it takes me forever to upload on youtube and was a bit put off by what happened last time I posted a video of him!

Haha...yeah I can just about imagine Shadwick doing super sized changes all over the place and me clinging on for dear life!!

Was the last video when there were questions about soundness? I can totally understand why you would be tentative about doing it again :eek:

All I can really say is keep chipping away at it, I did my first elementary with Shadow way back in october 2011 :eek: but since then we've actually only done 6 tests...so for us improvements in the ring seem to have taken an eternity but when I sit down and think, ok 6 tests really isn't much :rolleyes: most people would probably do that in a few months!! My 'sort of point' is keep working at it, when they're not built for it building the strength takes so long and then to get it test ready takes more time again.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
I feel your pain! Wilby has been going great guns at home, and will do in warm ups, but then stick him between the boards and he spooks, tenses, rushes etc. Just changes completely. It gets better the more we go out, and is miles better in the second test, but it's so frustrating when you can't recreate the way they go at home in the ring :(

Do you think he might have dropped off your leg because he's not been to that venue in ages? Wilby was definitely 10x more spooky today than usual because he was on grass, which he hasn't done in ages. Doesn't really help solve the problem but could just explain his behaviour today?

rowy

Visit site
Haha...yeah I can just about imagine Shadwick doing super sized changes all over the place and me clinging on for dear life!!

Was the last video when there were questions about soundness? I can totally understand why you would be tentative about doing it again :eek:

All I can really say is keep chipping away at it, I did my first elementary with Shadow way back in october 2011 :eek: but since then we've actually only done 6 tests...so for us improvements in the ring seem to have taken an eternity but when I sit down and think, ok 6 tests really isn't much :rolleyes: most people would probably do that in a few months!! My 'sort of point' is keep working at it, when they're not built for it building the strength takes so long and then to get it test ready takes more time again.

Haha yes!! I have had the vet, physio etc all pronounce him sound after that but I don't think I could cope if everyone said it again!
Yes it definitely feels like everything is so much longer on Rowan training wise. His canter is huuuuge and he really struggles to balance. I think if he ever gets there it will be one of his best points!

I feel your pain! Wilby has been going great guns at home, and will do in warm ups, but then stick him between the boards and he spooks, tenses, rushes etc. Just changes completely. It gets better the more we go out, and is miles better in the second test, but it's so frustrating when you can't recreate the way they go at home in the ring :(

Do you think he might have dropped off your leg because he's not been to that venue in ages? Wilby was definitely 10x more spooky today than usual because he was on grass, which he hasn't done in ages. Doesn't really help solve the problem but could just explain his behaviour today?

He is not really a spooky horse. He is too clever for his own good and if he can get out of doing work then he will do. I think he has figured out that in the ring I dont get after him so he can get away with it!