Sprenger stirrups.

Nicky P

New User
Visit site
I’m considering purchasing some Sprenger stirrups after getting tired of a nagging knee pain whilst out hacking. Can anyone recommend either bow balance or system 4- I’m still unclear what the difference is. Thanks

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Love mine! Leg hangs better and ankle and knees don't hurt.

So much thay I used to swap them onto different saddles when I rode different horses. D1 did the same with hers.

Can't remember the difference. Think D1 has the Bow Balance (as she did more jumping than me) and mine are the standard ones.

Skib

sites.google.com
I have the normal straight ones. I dont take them to riding lessons but I fit them on any horse I hack.
I myself dont like riding in bent leg safety stirrups - have just given mine away unused.

With the straight Sprenger ones, they dont feel different from any other straight stirrup, i.e. the ones provided in riding lessons..
I have the ones with normal leathers threaded through, not hook on ones.
You may need to buy two pairs in dofferent sizes - for winter boots and dressage boots.

I dont know if they will help knee pain as I dont suffer from that and the width of the horse, saddle design and length of stirrup and other things may affect it. But they last well - never had to replace them and I am still riding at 80.

AFB

Visit site
See if you can try a pair before purchasing, some people don't like the lack of stability the joint gives.

Personally I prefer something with a wider foot plate (I went for Jins) and feel the extra stability they gives takes the strain off of my joints.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I use the bow balance ones , they do work I know all about if if I ride in normal stirrups both hips and knees feel better when I use them .
the disadvantage is they are harder to get your foot into if your foot comes out of the stirrup .

Moogleberry

Visit site
Agree to try a pair if you can I used Bow Balance but they actually made my knee feel worse after a longish ride, switched to Jins now and had no problems with knee or ankle (can be painful after an old break)

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
Another thing to consider would be wider tread stirrups - I have MDC Hunter Classics. They're a bit expensive but there's not extra technology- literally just the wider tread. Brilliant for knees and back. You could probably find similar much cheaper. :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
See if you can try a pair before purchasing, some people don't like the lack of stability the joint gives.

Personally I prefer something with a wider foot plate (I went for Jins) and feel the extra stability they gives takes the strain off of my joints.
yep agree with this.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I got the bow balance last year and get on fine with them. They took a little getting used to. I ride my older horse in normal stirrups but don’t find it a problem swapping between them.

Nicky P

New User
Visit site
I have the normal straight ones. I dont take them to riding lessons but I fit them on any horse I hack.
I myself dont like riding in bent leg safety stirrups - have just given mine away unused.

With the straight Sprenger ones, they dont feel different from any other straight stirrup, i.e. the ones provided in riding lessons..
I have the ones with normal leathers threaded through, not hook on ones.
You may need to buy two pairs in dofferent sizes - for winter boots and dressage boots.

I dont know if they will help knee pain as I dont suffer from that and the width of the horse, saddle design and length of stirrup and other things may affect it. But they last well - never had to replace them and I am still riding at 80.

Inspired by your age and still riding. I’m 64, so I think this is related to wear and tear of my knee joint. I want to ride for as long as possible, hence trying to find the right stirrups. Thanks for your input