Spurs? Do you ride with them?

kippen64

thinkingabouthorses.blogspot.com.au
He is plump - he is a Highland :rolleyes:
Baileyandstuff359.jpg

And he is reasonably fit, does about 6 miles walk trot and a little canter no with a no sweat. The canter work gets him more :p
He has more muscle than he did in this photo- HUGE shoulders now :p

Richard Maxwell has a method of putting forward into a horse. I'll see if I still have the book.

Yep, still have it. The book is 'Unlock Your Horse's Talent in 20 minutes a day' by Richard Maxwell. The solution is on page 128. Brain is too tired to write an effective summary.

JFTDWS

Visit site
He is plump - he is a Highland :rolleyes:
Baileyandstuff359.jpg

And he is reasonably fit, does about 6 miles walk trot and a little canter no with a no sweat. The canter work gets him more :p
He has more muscle than he did in this photo- HUGE shoulders now :p

He's verrry lovely, but he doesn't seem to have a head? :eek: :D He looks nicely put together though!

Get a bit of the weight off - he's not fat, but could lose a bit by the look of him - and see how he is :) Mine is fit enough to do 6 miles mostly in trot with a few good canters and not break sweat, with most of a coat (clipped in October, not since). He currently looks like this:

IMG_1282.jpg

(random photo - don't have one of him now stood up without tack I don't think)

Amaranta

Visit site
I usually ride in spurs on the flat- doesn't matter if the horse is slow, fast, lazy, fizzy. I don't think of them as a go faster tool, but as a means of refining my aids. I use them when I need them, and not when I don't.

I like the Stubben special dressage spurs, but they are a bit on the long side and tend to be owner frighteners, so I have shorter ones for putting human minds at rest. The longer ones are easier to use for precision work, and require less wriggling around to apply.

I hate the bad press that spurs get, they are a useful tool when used correctly. Mind you, I hate seeing them misused - although I think misuse of the whip is a worse crime.

I'd rather see a horse move smartly off the leg with a light touch of the spurs, than to see someone nagging away with absolutely no response from the horse.

*claps*

I use the Stubben dressage spurs too, fab for refinement. I use spurs for schooling but not for hacking.

It really surprises me (although I should know better by now :rolleyes: ) how many people completely get the wrong idea about spurs and think they are only intended to make the horse go faster and I personally, hate to see them used in Intro and Prelim dressage tests for that reason. Mind you I also get my knickers in a twist about bits and the lack of knowledge surrounding them too!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Its native!!!!!!! thats close enough :p

Nope, your bog pony is a mongerel compared to the royal highland pony. Never seen the queen riding a connie have you???!

(so many lesbian jokes there too :D)

Dafthoss I'm cyber-bullying you now, aren't I? :D

Lintel

Visit site
He's verrry lovely, but he doesn't seem to have a head? :eek: :D He looks nicely put together though!

Get a bit of the weight off - he's not fat, but could lose a bit by the look of him - and see how he is :) Mine is fit enough to do 6 miles mostly in trot with a few good canters and not break sweat, with most of a coat (clipped in October, not since). He currently looks like this:

IMG_1282.jpg

(random photo - don't have one of him now stood up without tack I don't think)

Thank you, I shall go book hunting! And mine is totally winter woolied- which possibly won't help the fitness and sweat issue :rolleyes:
Aim for the summer is to do a 10 mile endurance, with no effort :rolleyes: I see it going sooo well, not :p
Thank you for your advice!!:D:D

Shantara

Visit site
I wear spurs quite often.

Not on the horse though, I like to pretend I'm a cowboy.
No joke, I even have a sheriff badge too, all the way from Texas!

dafthoss

Visit site
I'm going to go cry now :( How dare you call my pony a bog pony!! thats definate bullying and he isnt even able to stand up for him self :mad: :p. The queen wouldnt dare park her back side on a connie she is far to old and can only cope with a ploddy highland :p (see I can bully you back :D)

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm going to go cry now :( How dare you call my pony a bog pony!! thats definate bullying and he isnt even able to stand up for him self :mad: :p. The queen wouldnt dare park her back side on a connie she is far to old and can only cope with a ploddy highland :p (see I can bully you back :D)

That's because your bog pony is an irish rebel and doesn't like the monarchy! The Queen couldn't be seen dead on one :D

I'm going to say night night to my ponies. I shall resume bullying you later :D

I wear spurs quite often.

Not on the horse though, I like to pretend I'm a cowboy.
No joke, I even have a sheriff badge too, all the way from Texas!

Say no joke all you like, it's the best laugh I've had today :D

I have a mountie hat in my car :eek:

Thank you, I shall go book hunting! And mine is totally winter woolied- which possibly won't help the fitness and sweat issue :rolleyes:
Aim for the summer is to do a 10 mile endurance, with no effort :rolleyes: I see it going sooo well, not :p
Thank you for your advice!!:D:D

10 miles is nothing. Mine is hairy and not nearly "fit" by real standards and he only sweats slightly under his exercise sheet round a fast 10 miler :eek: Set your sights higher - he will manage :D I'm aiming for the 30-oddkmers this year :D

More important than any of this though, is that you have a cameraman for all such activities and bring us photos and reports :D

millikins

Visit site
Oi, dafthoss, this is a highland thread :mad:

You and your irish bog pony can sod off :mad:

:D

Are Eriskays allowed?

Daughter and I use them sometimes for schooling and competitions. As the Highlands, she's fairly forward going but needs encouragement sometimes over the first couple of jumps, also she gets very excited and opinionated and won't listen, a touch with blunt spurs looks more impressive than the old Pony Club boot! She'll have none of them out hacking though, just bucks!

Lintel

Visit site
That's because your bog pony is an irish rebel and doesn't like the monarchy! The Queen couldn't be seen dead on one :D

I'm going to say night night to my ponies. I shall resume bullying you later :D

Say no joke all you like, it's the best laugh I've had today :D

I have a mountie hat in my car :eek:

10 miles is nothing. Mine is hairy and not nearly "fit" by real standards and he only sweats slightly under his exercise sheet round a fast 10 miler :eek: Set your sights higher - he will manage :D I'm aiming for the 30-oddkmers this year :D

More important than any of this though, is that you have a cameraman for all such activities and bring us photos and reports :D

-I have no camerman or woman :( Sniff...
And I'll leave my goal at 10 miles no sweat :p
As I do believe work is going to get in the way of serious riding 24/7 sadly :(
Heaven knows how far we go at the weekends with our hacking buddy though- we just tend to get lost for a good few hours :p
Can't wait till the winter woolies are out though.. :rolleyes: I come home looking like a freaking horse!

Auslander

Visit site
*claps*

I use the Stubben dressage spurs too, fab for refinement. I use spurs for schooling but not for hacking.

It really surprises me (although I should know better by now :rolleyes: ) how many people completely get the wrong idea about spurs and think they are only intended to make the horse go faster and I personally, hate to see them used in Intro and Prelim dressage tests for that reason. Mind you I also get my knickers in a twist about bits and the lack of knowledge surrounding them too!

Oh God! Don't even get me started on bits!!!

dafthoss

Visit site
JFTD and dafthoss, ladies! The bullying on this thread is just getting out of control here :p:p :D:D

Its ok I will beat her with a fence post when I next see her :mad::p:D

And you must go for more than 10 miles me and JFTD do that for an easy weekend hack :D

Last edited:

dafthoss

Visit site
:D:D I threatened her with one if she didnt get a proper canter to jump from.... did you see her recent threads of F jumping :eek: the pony flys :D Fence post threats work :cool: none of this cyber bullying nonsense hiding behind the key board.

Auslander

Visit site
They were originally driving bits, weren't they? The bottom bar was to stop reins getting caught with pairs :confused: Have never seen one in use ridden though :p

It's a Tellington Jones Training bit. Joined at the bottom because the shanks are so long that it goes all peculiar if it isn't held together at the bottom.