Spurs? Do you ride with them?

rhino

Visit site
It's a Tellington Jones Training bit. Joined at the bottom because the shanks are so long that it goes all peculiar if it isn't held together at the bottom.

Thanks :) I must have been getting them mixed up with the Liverpool type driving bits with the bottom bar :eek:

D-23.jpg

dafthoss

Visit site
I can make the most backwards thinking child make their pony move when I have my fence post let alone the pony :D

You should have seen knobberts the other day on our hack :D

Mince Pie

Visit site
I personally, hate to see them used in Intro and Prelim dressage tests

Um...guilty :eek:

I work on my cobs schooling at home with a schooling whip and he is lovely and forward, however he gets 'stage fright' a little so I use them to give him a bit of confidence and hopefully after a few runs this year we can leave them off.

sjp1

Visit site
See my YO/RI thinks I should use them on mine when schooling, as he isn't very sharp off the leg.

I however think it is all my fault he isn't sharp enough and would prefer to keep doing transitions to get him faster. She says I am having to work far too hard but I worry that spurs should only be used by very experienced people???

I do use a schooling whip but he really doesn't take that much notice - it does make his transition to trot quicker, but he puts his ears back and registers his disgust, so it doesn't make for a very happy transition.

He isn't a fat dollopy novice ride, but forwards seems to be an issue - he can buck - hmm, toddles off to have a think.

rhino

Visit site
I worry that spurs should only be used by very experienced people???

Experienced people or competent novices under instruction. I used to only wear them in lessons for the same reasons, horse is extremely overreactive to whips of any sort but when we were asking him for a bit more/doing more lateral stuff they came in really useful. I'd give it a go in one of your lessons, you can always take them off if your horse reacts badly :)

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Nope. Don't use spurs on any of mine. I've been lucky in that they're responsive to leg. If I feel they are not becoming responsive then I carry a dressage whip.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them if needed however. Drama queen Abba gets all fidgety when ridden in spurs. So she does not jump in competition in them either. But she's super responsive and knows her job.

Terri

Auslander

Visit site
See my YO/RI thinks I should use them on mine when schooling, as he isn't very sharp off the leg.

I however think it is all my fault he isn't sharp enough and would prefer to keep doing transitions to get him faster. She says I am having to work far too hard but I worry that spurs should only be used by very experienced people???

I do use a schooling whip but he really doesn't take that much notice - it does make his transition to trot quicker, but he puts his ears back and registers his disgust, so it doesn't make for a very happy transition.

He isn't a fat dollopy novice ride, but forwards seems to be an issue - he can buck - hmm, toddles off to have a think.

Like any relationship - one shouldn't have to work harder than the other to make it work. If you're making all the effort, and your horse is ignoring you, you're perfectly within your rights to take action to rebalance the status quo! I'd have no hesitation on using spurs to inject a little activity.

Incidentally - if I'm riding a horse that won't listen to my leg, and then gets shirty if I tap him up with the stick - he will get a much sharper tap for being rude!! Sounds like he thinks he's the boss in your relationship!!

noodle_

Visit site
i need spurs with mine... and tried them

they came off pretty sharpish... else i think i would have been off pretty sharpish!!! :D

nothing against them except 10 year olds battering their ponies in them :mad:

Amy567

Visit site
When I have a horse.... the ex RS pony we had we used the normal one's you see in tack shops as he was so unresponsive! then didn't used them on others until my 14.2 and my 15.1 as they were both unresponsive in dressage, and then my old TB is really responsive, but really on her forehand in dressage and hates it so is a bit sluggish :p so I use these ones with the last three horses mentioned...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIRES-PLASTIC-EQUESTRIAN-RIDING-STAINLESS/dp/B005T3WAFG/ref=sr_1_15?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1332264949&sr=1-15

They're kinder to the horse (no chance of hurting them unless you really dig) whereas the other ones I used used to make the boy sore.... and I used them nicely, no big kicks or anything, just little nudges and a larger nudge if unresponsive :) but these ones roll, highly recommend!

Amy567

Visit site
I can make the most backwards thinking child make their pony move when I have my fence post let alone the pony :D

You should have seen knobberts the other day on our hack :D

not even joking.... an instructor I had once hit my pony on his bum with a fence rail when he wouldn't jump a XC jump..... lets just say he never went near that jump again until we showed him a similar one at a different course, then he was fine.... just needed to understand the 'tiger trap' as it was didn't have a tiger in it :p

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
JFTD,

I did think of that typing alright! She's weird. You can almost see her thinking, "how can I concentrate with someone wearing spurs".

She also has to wear rugs with no leg straps or fillet strap. Have to pull her tail through a strap on the tail flap. Otherwise she can't settle. It only took me 5 years to cop on to that. Stable fine, turnout pen fine. Field, OMG it drives me mental. Fortunately she actually is rock solid under saddle. Even with spurs she does as you ask but she just doesn't concentrate as well.

Terri

JFTDWS

Visit site
JFTD,

I did think of that typing alright! She's weird. You can almost see her thinking, "how can I concentrate with someone wearing spurs".

She also has to wear rugs with no leg straps or fillet strap. Have to pull her tail through a strap on the tail flap. Otherwise she can't settle. It only took me 5 years to cop on to that. Stable fine, turnout pen fine. Field, OMG it drives me mental. Fortunately she actually is rock solid under saddle. Even with spurs she does as you ask but she just doesn't concentrate as well.

Terri

Bless her... I think she might have OCD :eek: :D

wish my highland were as forward thinking and responsive as she is! He's not bad and he's getting better, but still...!