Stabling after worming

Hbb72

New User
Visit site
Can someone shed some light on what has become a debate on our yard we are on livery and some are still adamant that 48hr stabling after worming is essential I was advised that it is not necessary with today’s products as worms are killed in the gut prior to being passed in the dung unless pramox is used what’s your thoughts on this guys

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
We always keep in ven though we poopick religiously every day, however I can assure you they are not all killed in the gut after worming ?

Hbb72

New User
Visit site
Thank you for your input so many conflicting theories on this just wanted the general consensus on it and what period of time do you stable for?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
What I've heard is that a proportion of worms are resistant to wormers. So you kill the susceptible worms but leave the resistant ones. You then turn a horse out into a new pasture with a population of worms that won't respond and for that reason it's not recommended that you keep in or change fields these days.

May be worth looking at Westgates website as they have lots of good info sheets you could print out and may have something relevant.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I don't stable mine for 48 hours after or at all, unless its winter and they might be in overnight anyway.
I worm on a Tues or Weds early morning (so any odd reaction can be noted and if necessary vet called, having had a almost catastrophic reaction once), then they go out or back out as usual onto the same used paddock. No way would I put straight out onto new fresh paddock. I poo pick twice daily so can inspect easily.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I usually worm in the afternoon when they come in, so I can check them late at night to make sure they look well. But, I do turn straight out in the morning. Having said that, I also poo pick twice a day, and have been on a zero count for years, not worming much. If I had a problem, as in worms in the count, then I would keep on the arena turnout for a few days.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
What I've heard is that a proportion of worms are resistant to wormers. So you kill the susceptible worms but leave the resistant ones. You then turn a horse out into a new pasture with a population of worms that won't respond and for that reason it's not recommended that you keep in or change fields these days.

May be worth looking at Westgates website as they have lots of good info sheets you could print out and may have something relevant.
^^ this.
best to keep to the existing routine. Stabling after worming is rather outdated practice.

PurBee

Visit site
Never heard of stabling after worming tbh...but considering how wormers tend to give them a grouchy gut, i’d want them being able to move plenty and roll to relieve the possible discomfort. Stabling would be the last thing id do. But thinking from A -pasture contamination aspect, if poop pocked regularly there shouldnt be an issue.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
Although I've always stables after worming so as not to contaminate the ground with any worms/eggs on reading the Westgate labs data sheet on worming (advised by a poster further up) it advises horses stay in for 2 to 3 days after worming, not to avoid egg contamination in pasture, but because the droppings that are passed contain poisons from the wormer that are toxic to the fauna and flora of the field and surrounding area.
I love these sorts of threads as you learn new things and adapt the knowledge.

Hbb72

New User
Visit site
It’s interesting how we all manage things differently isn’t it ? I know years ago wormers didn’t actually kill the worm inside the horse they caused a purge so worms were expelled still alive hence the reinfestation into the ground but the drugs used now are different so it triggered a debate on our yard lovely to hear others opinions on it

planete

Visit site
I am delighted with the number of beetles and insects in my new field and am going to confine my horse to the outdoor feeding pen for 48 hours after worming to limit damage to all my lovely beetles. Apparently if you had enough dung beetles on the field you would never need to poo pick. I can always dream!