Stag Hunting

Godknows

Visit site
Until the other day when we were driving over Exmoor and the hunt was just gathering to go Stag Hunting with dogs. Must admit I was quite shocked when I had it explained by a man trying to Tag our car (get money off us to help the people taking part follow their sport:confused:) :eek: We did not contribute, but had it explained that they choose one of the old Stags (so they don't mess with their young daughters, chase them till they Bay (I think this means call) They were hunting with hounds.

I didn't realize as from the north that people hunted Stags on horseback like fox hunting (I'm from the east midlands). Would have to say that chasing something till it can't run anymore for fun then shoot it is cruel. At least the fox can go to ground (if they don't dig it out) I promise I am not an anti but I am a horse rider and love the country I think just shooting the stag would be more humane.

Just needed to say this.:(

Godknows

Visit site
I think you will find the majority of packs hunt within the law.

I'm not saying they don't. What I'm saying is to run an animal till it's frightened and tired and then shoot it???? For fun???

I've noticed how quite everyone else is. I just didn't know this happened (thick maybe) but when people talk of stag hunting I thought they meant with guns to cull not hunting with packs of dogs then shooting.

Funny how people on here scream and shout about cruel things to horses and dogs but when it's being done by what they call sport they are keeping very quiet:confused:

Blitzen

Visit site
I just don't think anyone fancies getting into a slanging match about hunting, that's all. Been done, several times over :)

Blitzen

Visit site
I get the feeling a slanging match over stag hunting would follow similar lines to a slanging match over fox hunting. The pro's will stick to their guns (so to speak ;) ) and defend their traditions and sport. The anti's will point out how cruel and abhorrent they think it is. People will get wound up over nothing, as no one is going to change their views, no matter what the 'other side' says :)

Godknows

Visit site
But we are passionate people so will speak out when we see cruelty and injustices (except when it's us)??

Very sporting. I will leave it here I've always sat on the fence before re fox hunting as I realize the need to control for farmers etc, But now I'm beginning to be against it especially for the Stags. I can't see any reason for the hunt we can see then they don't go underground but they don't stand a chance. Rant over:(

Landcruiser

Visit site
The thought of any animal being chased down by a pack of hounds and a pack of people is dreadful to anyone who can empathise with the animal, I would have thought. Speaking for myself, the thought of something as big, beautiful, majestic...and harmless, being chased to the death for "fun" is sick. Cull if necessary, but quickly and cleanly.

Yes, it's all been said before, but things don't change if people sit on the fence...

Godknows

Visit site
The thought of any animal being chased down by a pack of hounds and a pack of people is dreadful to anyone who can empathise with the animal, I would have thought. Speaking for myself, the thought of something as big, beautiful, majestic...and harmless, being chased to the death for "fun" is sick. Cull if necessary, but quickly and cleanly.

Yes, it's all been said before, but things don't change if people sit on the fence...

This is why I've come off the fence especially on Stag hunting. But as I didn't know much about it and this chap with the hunt was quite willing to explain. I wasn't sure if the ban was also with Stag hunting (as I didn't realise it happened). I'm not a tree hugger or bunny hugger just have a heart even when it's about horses.

Blitzen

Visit site
Oh I'm not on the fence :)
I just don't think many folk feel like getting into an argument for no reason, when its all been said before - and I'm one of them.

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
I don't agree with hunting of any sorts and would laugh out loud on what nonsense I've heard if it wasn't actually so horrid in reality!

Stag hunting (like all hunting of course) is geared towards having fun for the participants. Trying to locate any sort of point to it will only take up your time indefinitely because there simply isn't one. I'm am pleased OP, your starting to read between the lines!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Stag hunting (like all hunting of course) is geared towards having fun for the participants. Trying to locate any sort of point to it will only take up your time indefinitely because there simply isn't one. I'm am pleased OP, your starting to read between the lines!

Actually, you're wrong. These days of course it all has to be done within very restrictive rules but before I actually WENT staghunting and met the people who actually manage it it was the one form of hunting I had severe doubts about.

But it is ALL about managing the deer herd in sickness and in health. If the harbourers come across an injured or ill deer then plans for the day are dropped until that particular deer can be brought to bay and despatched humanely. 'Bringing to bay' doesn't mean the deer is exhausted - or even tired. It means he has picked a place to fight. Hounds stand back and 'bay' - he threatens. The huntsman or one of the harbourers shoot him - at close range!

Culling stags or hinds takes place at different times - with different 'targets' With stags, it may be old stags, past their prime, not suitable for breeding anymore and unable to fight (other stags) without severe injury. Or young stags of poor quality, with a bad set of antlers, or who have come through winter badly. With hind hunting they are looking for young, unthrifty hinds (possibly worm-ridden or with TB) or old hinds in poor condition - again worms, TB, or loss of teeth. Healthy hinds are not hunted for more than a short distance (to SEE they are healthy) and are then allowed to escape. I watched a group of hinds being put out of woodland - so they could be observed - and then left in peace as they were all healthy!

I defended hunting as a full-time spokesman for the British Field Sports Society for more than 6 years. And for many more years because I believe in it! And the arguments in favour of staghunting were the most compelling, particularly when you see some of the stags and hinds that ARE culled by the hunt - some horribly poor in condition, some with horrendous injuries either from road traffic accidents or botched shooting by poachers!

Catching these animals - or getting them to a position where they can be safely shot is VERY hard on Exmoor. Unless you're very close it requires high powered rifles (dangerous with tourists and walkers popping up anywhere) - AND permission to be armed on that land!! And an ill or injured deer will hide away - to die slowly and painfully!

Last edited:

EAST KENT

Visit site
This is why I've come off the fence especially on Stag hunting. But as I didn't know much about it and this chap with the hunt was quite willing to explain. I wasn't sure if the ban was also with Stag hunting (as I didn't realise it happened). I'm not a tree hugger or bunny hugger just have a heart even when it's about horses.

No..but you are a troll.:)

Ladyinred

Visit site
No..but you are a troll.:)

Harsh.

I lived on Exmoor and have experienced the antics of the stag hunters at close hand. It ain't pretty. And it ain't necessary either as there are already people in place to cull the stags humanely. It is nothing but 'sport' for the sheer thrill of it. I can fully appreciate all the arguments for fox hunting.. but stags? No way.

Over the last twenty or thirty years there have been some headline making mistakes by the Devon and Somerset Staghounds... a stag chased into the sea and drowned, one killed in a school playground (complete with children in their classrooms) one on a roof, to name the three I can remember offhand.

In my experience they also have to be some of the rudest and most offensive upholders af any sport. My first encounter was walking with three small children on the moor.. as we were rightly entitled to do.. the hunt appeared and proceeded to swear loudly and in a threatening manner at my 2, 4 and 7 year old children to make them get off the path faster! Subsequent encounters did little to alter my opinion.

Godknows

Visit site
Actually, you're wrong. These days of course it all has to be done within very restrictive rules but before I actually WENT staghunting and met the people who actually manage it it was the one form of hunting I had severe doubts about.

But it is ALL about managing the deer herd in sickness and in health. If the harbourers come across an injured or ill deer then plans for the day are dropped until that particular deer can be brought to bay and despatched humanely. 'Bringing to bay' doesn't mean the deer is exhausted - or even tired. It means he has picked a place to fight. Hounds stand back and 'bay' - he threatens. The huntsman or one of the harbourers shoot him - at close range!

Culling stags or hinds takes place at different times - with different 'targets' With stags, it may be old stags, past their prime, not suitable for breeding anymore and unable to fight (other stags) without severe injury. Or young stags of poor quality, with a bad set of antlers, or who have come through winter badly. With hind hunting they are looking for young, unthrifty hinds (possibly worm-ridden or with TB) or old hinds in poor condition - again worms, TB, or loss of teeth. Healthy hinds are not hunted for more than a short distance (to SEE they are healthy) and are then allowed to escape. I watched a group of hinds being put out of woodland - so they could be observed - and then left in peace as they were all healthy!

I defended hunting as a full-time spokesman for the British Field Sports Society for more than 6 years. And for many more years because I believe in it! And the arguments in favour of staghunting were the most compelling, particularly when you see some of the stags and hinds that ARE culled by the hunt - some horribly poor in condition, some with horrendous injuries either from road traffic accidents or botched shooting by poachers!

Catching these animals - or getting them to a position where they can be safely shot is VERY hard on Exmoor. Unless you're very close it requires high powered rifles (dangerous with tourists and walkers popping up anywhere) - AND permission to be armed on that land!! And an ill or injured deer will hide away - to die slowly and painfully!

JanetGeorge - thank you for this better explaination. I can see where your coming from but if they are chasing the stag/deer I'm sure they could corner them and even use a dart to stop them running the shoot at close range without all the (fun) of the hunt?

Could the people who like to hunt not do so like a treasure hunt without the dogs? As apparently even when drag hunting the dogs pick up the scent of other wild animals?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
JanetGeorge - thank you for this better explaination. I can see where your coming from but if they are chasing the stag/deer I'm sure they could corner them and even use a dart to stop them running the shoot at close range without all the (fun) of the hunt?

Have you ever tried to corner a wild red deer - or even a fallow? My husband nearly lost his head when riding with the D&SS. A stag cleared his head by inches (and he WAS on a 17hh horse at the time!):D

Anmd dating sounds simple - my vet has to do it regularly at the Safari Park when they need to treat an animal - but first they run the animal into a small enclosure! Otherwise you've got no show!

The HUNTING part of staghunting isn't much fun TBH - you're never close enough to see the hound work as you were with foxhunting. The field is usually a mile or more behind hounds - having a nice xc-ride without much/any jumping. The field is there to pay the wages of the professional hunt staff and cover costs!

Godknows

Visit site
Have you ever tried to corner a wild red deer - or even a fallow? My husband nearly lost his head when riding with the D&SS. A stag cleared his head by inches (and he WAS on a 17hh horse at the time!):D

Anmd dating sounds simple - my vet has to do it regularly at the Safari Park when they need to treat an animal - but first they run the animal into a small enclosure! Otherwise you've got no show!

The HUNTING part of staghunting isn't much fun TBH - you're never close enough to see the hound work as you were with foxhunting. The field is usually a mile or more behind hounds - having a nice xc-ride without much/any jumping. The field is there to pay the wages of the professional hunt staff and cover costs!

So who owns the deer? I'm sure a nice ride could be organized without the dogs and hunt?

Godknows

Visit site
Harsh.

I lived on Exmoor and have experienced the antics of the stag hunters at close hand. It ain't pretty. And it ain't necessary either as there are already people in place to cull the stags humanely. It is nothing but 'sport' for the sheer thrill of it. I can fully appreciate all the arguments for fox hunting.. but stags? No way.

Over the last twenty or thirty years there have been some headline making mistakes by the Devon and Somerset Staghounds... a stag chased into the sea and drowned, one killed in a school playground (complete with children in their classrooms) one on a roof, to name the three I can remember offhand.

In my experience they also have to be some of the rudest and most offensive upholders af any sport. My first encounter was walking with three small children on the moor.. as we were rightly entitled to do.. the hunt appeared and proceeded to swear loudly and in a threatening manner at my 2, 4 and 7 year old children to make them get off the path faster! Subsequent encounters did little to alter my opinion.

OMG!! What did you say to them? The gentleman that explained what was happening did say his wife was hunting but he also was from more north and didn't really agree with it that's why he was just car tagging:eek: So didn't have to be that involved. I didn't tell him I didn't agree with it I needed to just listen, consider and ask a few questions before I made my own mind up. I'm with you on this it's totally unnessasary:mad:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site

I believe the law is that only two hounds may chase an animal at any one time and then it must be shot. :rolleyes: Really stupid IMO. I don't see why that is any less cruel than a whole pack chasing the animal. I think that in practice, many hunts completely ignore the law. Not that it really makes any difference to the animal being hunted. I expect it is just as terrified whether it is being chased by two hounds as by the whole pack.

Last edited:

Godknows

Visit site

But this was his choice at least he didn't shot?:confused:

I'm sure fencing could be errected and drawn in by food especially if done around winter?:confused: