Stallion on bridleway

HashRouge

Visit site

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I saw it this morning. It is frightening. I was concerned as it was sent on Facebook from people reasonably close to me. Does anyone know where it was?

It also reminded me of 20 or more years ago when, with 3 friends, I went on a 2 day ride using bridleways. As we crossed an open hill we were attacked by a pony stallion who left his mares and tried to mount my pony. She was the only mare. 2 of the other riders herded the mares away and the third, riding a horse that had done polocrosse, rode the stallion off. We immediately high tailed it as far away as possible and fortunately the stallion lost interest. It wasn’t nice with front legs almost around my ears.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Very scary! Once at a show someone lost control of 2 stallions she was walking to the stables and they charged in to me in the warm up and tried to get at my mare who I was riding. My mare was also well behaved which really surprised me, maybe they just know when to keep calm? Or maybe it's just luck!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Cricklade, wiltshire, the original post
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Wessexgoldrc/permalink/4089163217775537/

essentially same stallion has caused issues elsewhere previously and was moved recently (hence them not expecting it) field owned by old lady who rents/lets travellers use it.
Reported to 101 didn't care.
Reported to highways.
reported to BHS

Think all the salient points ;)

I have only once ridden through a herd of horses in a field, I was in there before I realised they were and heading towards us at speed. Thankfully it wasn't that long a track and with my good pony + stick we managed to extricate ourselves but it was a bit scary, this is definitely worse.

Lintel

Visit site
Holy sh***t.
Terrifying.

Reminds me of a time me and my hacking chum were met by a escapee stallion on a country road.
Thankfully myself and hacking partner were both on geldings and carrying sticks. Rallied him up and into a farmers field and left him there before phoning who we suspected may know who's he was.

Thank god they were OK!

tatty_v

Visit site
I’ve never come across a stallion thank goodness but there is a lovely bridleway local to us where the owner always keeps loose horses in the fields and seems to deliberately make the gates difficult to open and shut. I can’t help but think it’s a tactic to get us all to stop crossing her land ?

I’ve also been pinned up between a blackthorn hedge and a barbed wire fence by horses in a field with a bridleway alongside it. Don’t know how my boy kept it together as they kept circling back and cantering at us. I was bloody terrified and avoid that route now!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Literally just saw it on FB. Blinking scary indeed! The humans and ridden horses did so very well.

I had my car (big thing) squidged by loose young cattle the other day and that was scary enough and I was well protected.

KEK

Visit site
OMG!! That was so scary to watch, the riders did amazingly well, as did their horses.

fredflop

Visit site
I saw it. It did look like at the end it may have been easier if the lady on the other horse had opened the gate rather than the one that was being pestered. Glad it wasn’t me

SEL

Visit site
I would have been splatted. My mare isn't fond of strange horses at the best of times and I can only imagine how she would have reacted with a stallion.

Visit site
What annoyed me with all the comments on the post were people saying the stallion was evil and dangerous. No the stallion was being a stallion. Not only did he have his herd to protect one of the horses was clearly a mare. He was after the mare, he didn't savage the gelding just for being there as some stallions would. As with most travellers ponies they are chucked out in fields with mares and never taught manners around others.

These guys went into his territory (all be it unknowingly) and he was just being a brash young lad out on the pull!