Stallion on bridleway

paddy555

Visit site
This has happened to me twice; both times I was riding my Dales gelding alone. The first time was on Dartmoor and the second time during the Golden Horseshoe on Exmoor. I think these ladies did really well in the situation they found themselves in.

We have had some on Dartmoor. Many years ago we had a really nasty Dartmoor stallion that used to attack ridden horses for a pastime. We also had a large area of common with a herd of Shitland mares and their stallions. It was simply not safe to ride over that area. Fortunately they are now gone.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Cattle are my worst nightmare - I have seen what can happen when an unsettled horse loses it's rider in a field of overexcited young bullocks. I try to avoid riding through cattle at all costs these days. Even if they are at the other end of a field they can move very quickly. Sometimes it is ok but increasingly I would advise extreme caution.

We came across some bullocks a couple of weeks ago luckily on a bridleway the other side of the fence although another bridleway does run through their field. I was really surprised as was my horse when they surged towards us and one fully charged at the fence! I survived that but ended up getting off in the end as there were several appearing out of bushes right along the fence line and the bridleway is steep and can be slippery so I erred on the side of caution.

J&S

Visit site
That certainly was a dreadful experience for those riders. Yes, they did well, I hope they don't feel too unerved to go hacking in the future. I have had the bad cow situation on several occasions and it has certainly affected me. Also, years ago, riding out on the New Forest a friend and I got chased by a herd of deer, we just left the vicinity as fast as possible and no harm done but we were a bit surprised as we certainly were not passing that close to them and normally it would be them disappearing! It was such an unusual thing to happen that it took a while for it to dawn on us what was happening.......... and I hasten to add this had nothing to do with stags at rutting time.

rascal

Visit site
This is why I carry a whip when I am walking with my youngster, or one of the ponies. 4 of ours are mares. Disgrace putting a stallion on a bridle path.

oldie48

Visit site
I saw it on fb yesterday and felt rather sick. I have a stallion just over the lane who is inadequately fenced. I get very anxious when Rose is in season and although I've got good hedging and fences it is still a worry as this stallion has got out on a number of occasions. Sadly he is owned by an idiot and although they have mended the gate out onto the road now, it's still not high enough and there's no double fencing to keep him away. Saw him the other day standing at the fence with all his tackle ready for action and it's just worrying.

AFB

Visit site
I saw this video yesterday and was horrified, certainly made me more aware, albeit I'm very limited with bridleways around me.

Worst I've had was a goat! Followed us for about 3 fields in the opposite direction of it's herd before we lost it, luckily just before our gateway back on to the road with broken down fencing alongside, really wasn't sure how we were going to handle that one!

QuantockHills

Visit site
agree with all the comments above, the women did very well keeping calm.

can i just ask though, is it actually illegal to have a stallion in a field with a bridle path through it...? i ride on open hills where there are wild horses, including stallions but i have a gelding and they have never taken any notice of me.

scruffyponies

Visit site
I saw it on fb yesterday and felt rather sick. I have a stallion just over the lane who is inadequately fenced. I get very anxious when Rose is in season and although I've got good hedging and fences it is still a worry as this stallion has got out on a number of occasions. Sadly he is owned by an idiot and although they have mended the gate out onto the road now, it's still not high enough and there's no double fencing to keep him away. Saw him the other day standing at the fence with all his tackle ready for action and it's just worrying.

Had to laugh, Oldie. My stallions routinely stand around with their 'tackle' hanging out - often as we are untacking after a ride. It means they are very relaxed, nothing more.

ihatework

Visit site
Had to laugh, Oldie. My stallions routinely stand around with their 'tackle' hanging out - often as we are untacking after a ride. It means they are very relaxed, nothing more.

From my working with stallions it’s pretty apparent when they are ready for action or not ? They can certainly have their tackle out and not be in a relaxed state of mind ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
They still wouldn't do anything due to who owns the ponies. Same as it always is.

I mean, they would, but the last time my OH was called (by the residents!) of a site, they threatened to shoot him, despite having called him! Another time, on patrol, he and a colleague drove round into over 40 blokes. A bit intimidating. He is forever moving/herding loose coloured ponies. I’ve been called to help.

post updated to

'
UPDATE...
WE HAVE SPOKEN TO THE LANDOWNER AND HORSE OWNER.. THE STALLION AND 2 OTHER COLTS HAVE NOW BEEN REMOVED FROM THE LAND.. A FULL APOLOGY GIVEN AND THAT IS AN END TO IT '

Great outcome.

Mule

Visit site
I carry whip out hacking, I have used it to fend off / square up to aggressive dogs, and it has made me feel safer when I used to hack in an area with flashers.

I think it is a good rule to always carry a whip of some sort.

I got seriously chased and surrounded by a herd of about 30 curious cattle on foot a few days ago. I wasn't expecting it, I was on a foot path, cows normally ignore me, or are at a distance, or if one persists in following me, normally arms waving, stepping towards them and shouting deters them. Nothing was deterring these cows, and I was surrounded on all sides by cows. Ducked under a barbed wire fence and found a way out through a hedge.

Any good tips for safely getting through a field of cows on a footpath, when they are curious / nosy / expect food or something and are right near the footpath. I have walked same footpath a number of times and cows are normally further away and ignore me. No calves around.
I think you just stay by the fence line and carry a big stick.

NLPM

Visit site
I'm not surprised the poor rider said she was petrified - that's the stuff of nightmares. I think I'd have thrown up as soon as that gate was closed... Horses and riders were all amazing. What good horses.

Like an earlier poster I was chased by a herd of cows last year - terrifying. They weren't at all interested until I was well into the field. I may have cried a little with relief once I'd made it to the gate and climbed over :oops: Agree with the advice to stay by the fence line where possible. The farmer whose cows chased me also suggested not running in straight lines - obviously try and get out as quickly as you can, but cows will ultimately outrun humans in a straight line. So if they're getting close and gaining on you and you're still not near the fence/gate, aim to zigzag your way to it. I appreciated his advice but won't be putting it into practice as there's no way I'll be going back in a field with cows in it!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
post updated to

'
UPDATE...
WE HAVE SPOKEN TO THE LANDOWNER AND HORSE OWNER.. THE STALLION AND 2 OTHER COLTS HAVE NOW BEEN REMOVED FROM THE LAND.. A FULL APOLOGY GIVEN AND THAT IS AN END TO IT '

Good update, thank you Ester.

As for carrying a stick, I'm thinking a hunting whip with a lash might be the plan if going along bridlepaths.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Good update, thank you Ester.

As for carrying a stick, I'm thinking a hunting whip with a lash might be the plan if going along bridlepaths.

I looked into getting a hunting whip to help with some tricky gates (not at same hacking any more) and I couldn't find a sensibly priced on ebay or new.

J9123

Visit site
Has anyone seen the video doing the rounds on Facebook of the stallion loose in a field with a bridleway through it?

It's blooming terrifying, I'm in awe of how the two women dealt with it!
I'll see if I can link to it here for anyone who's not seen it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/passwideandslow/permalink/1162893760725436/
Hi, I've just joined horseandhound, not sure how to use it yet lol, but one of the ladies from the stallion on bridleway, I was riding the mare xx

J9123

Visit site
Was watching it yesterday on the pass wide and slow group on facebook. The poster/rider said on another group she posted it on people were saying "it was her own fault" how ignorant can people get?
Beggars belief they didn't even bother to read her comment of she didn't know they were in there on a public bridleway until after she was in the field.
Annoyed and very angry on her behalf, she coped well with the traveller's pony.
Horses I have ridden in the past would have flattened it.
Oz
Thankyou so much, I was the one on the mare, yes quite a few people said we deserved it. Some very judgemental and blind lol people around xx

J9123

Visit site
Even more terrifying if you had for example your little kid riding with you, at least this cob was quite a bit smaller than the ridden horses. So scary.
That was our biggest worry, if a child went through there. The stallion and 2 colts have now been removed and owner was very opolgetic xx

J9123

Visit site
I saw it this morning. It is frightening. I was concerned as it was sent on Facebook from people reasonably close to me. Does anyone know where it was?

It also reminded me of 20 or more years ago when, with 3 friends, I went on a 2 day ride using bridleways. As we crossed an open hill we were attacked by a pony stallion who left his mares and tried to mount my pony. She was the only mare. 2 of the other riders herded the mares away and the third, riding a horse that had done polocrosse, rode the stallion off. We immediately high tailed it as far away as possible and fortunately the stallion lost interest. It wasn’t nice with front legs almost around my ears.
It was in Wiltshire, I'm the girl on the mare xx

J9123

Visit site
The other rider who tried to shield the rider was amazing. Both horses and both riders, credit to the community. Stayed reasonably calm, protected each other and got out safe.
I would of been hurt If my friend and rio didn't shield us, they were so amazing xx

Reactions: SEH
Visit site
It was in Wiltshire, I'm the girl on the mare xx

I just wanted to say I'm so pleased that you are all ok. I was absolutely terrified just watching the video and I think you both (and the horses!) did so well in an absolutely awful situation.

None of us know how we would handle a situation like this and I hope I would manage as well as you both did. Thank you for sharing the video initially (or to whoever did), it is very helpful for learning should any of us ever end up in a similar situation.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hi, I've just joined horseandhound, not sure how to use it yet lol, but one of the ladies from the stallion on bridleway, I was riding the mare xx

Well hats off to you! You did brilliantly.

I have to admit I wished I hadn't watched the video today when I realised the local stud had put their stallion in a field right by the road I was on!