Stallions and turn out

Rollin

Visit site
Both my boys are out tonight. Both of their favourite mares are just out of season, so we have taken out one fence. This means they can nuzzle each other over the fence or eat. One mare won't leave the fence she loves him so much.

As the girls are not receptive this week it is eat eat eat.

ritajennings

Visit site
I have worked with stallions for 40 years and now stand my own , the comments I pass here are based on my own experience over the years handling TB as well as Irish Draught stallions. Every stallion is different and you have to be prepared for his nature to change dramatically in some cases, some remain very chilled and sociable while other become very macho and find any other horse as a rival . My experience with my own stallion is that he is a very chilled boy and lived in a small mixed herd until the feb of his second year when he was introduced to a Shetland two year old gelding and they have lived together ever since. Even so he did jump out of the field over a very high , wide hedge when he was 2 years old , we have put a 7'6" electric fence around the whole perimeter of his field. When he has been away in quarantine for weeks on end I have to introduce him back to his friend, then after a couple of days when the pony is submissive he settles back into his old routine

BigYellowHorse

Visit site
So interesting reading these comments and how different eachoone is. Ive had some experience of stallions in the past and they either had a life of stable-ridden-horsewalker or were just left in a field to vegetate as some sort of status symbol. Both extremely sad lives lead by all :(

My guy has a 4yo gelding who keeps him company, they play and have a great time. My boy looks a bit of a mess as does have the odd bite mark - nothing serious but he is particularly thin skinned it seems so really shows. If hes not turned out with another person he gets quite a handful. Doesnt get on with my sec a though more my little guy not liking him as opposed to my colt being nasty.. little guy is just a ladies man and gets on woth fillies and mares more.

Im so pleased to read he's a happy boy again jetset :)

tristar

Visit site
i believe all horses whether stallions or not should go out every possible for as long as possible, next to or with other horses if they can, and i would opt for the high electric fence as rita says, for the peace of mind, but i did once have a big stallion who stayed within a one metre fence.

even sea the stars at the aga khan's stud go goes out most days he stands at a fee of 125,000 euros

i think you have to make the effort to provide an environment and happy lifestyle for a stallion, turnout, proximity to others and to me very important he should be ridden so he can enjoy the interaction with people and take pride and interest in his work.

even racehorses, it must be cruel to keep them in dungeon and only go out a paddock where they cannot see others, which i have seen done sadly

_jetset_

Visit site
I completely agree that stallions should get out as normal horses where possible. I know not everyone has the luxury of their own place, but thankfully I can choose where he goes as I can be flexible.

He is so relaxed and completely settled.

tristar

Visit site
sportznight, sorry ! got it mixed up with another horse, but i did ask the stud groom how often he goes out, and he said all the time except when its slippery or snow, so it goes to show even at that value he is still considered a horse and treated normally, despite the risks.