Stanley's hock fusion journey

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Thanks for the update :) I m sure so many people will find this thread interesting, I've certainly directed a few to it, I hope the post surgery rehab goes well.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Is Stanley sound now or is the aim of the rehab work to get him sound?

& yes - this thread is interesting because I've got one with hock arthritis and reading what people have had done and the outcomes is very, very useful. Please keep updating!

That's a good question and tbh I'm not completely sure whether he is sound or not. When trotted up for the vet she said he looked even ... now I take that to mean he is either sound or still bilaterally lame! At 6 weeks post surgery its too soon to do a flexion or blocks as his joint will still be healing/fusing. The surgeon said it was the aim of the rehab work to actually fuse the joints and keep him sound but that it will take up to a year to be sure whether that has worked. Either way my vet felt he was sound enough to progress to the next stage of rehab which is the hacking. I know that's a bit of a woolly answer but I get the impression with my limited understanding that this isn't an exact science! Next check up is in 5 weeks so may know more then.

sallyg

Visit site
Hi kinnygirl

How is Stanley doing now?

My horse had ethanol fusion done two weeks ago. My vet's rehab programme is totally different to yours. 2 days box rest, 12 days turnout then start walking for 20 mins, building up to one hour over two weeks then re-assessment by the vet. I followed Stanley's story with interest so would love an update as to how he is doing with his post-surgery rehab. I'm not feeling very confident about my horse, I've got a bad feeling about it, but fingers crossed.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Update! Well, I can hardly believe I'm typing this but at his 13 week post surgery check up, Stanley trotted up sound! I couldn't believe it... I was hoping to hear he was making progress but to hear the word "sound" about Stanley was amazing.

So currently he is doing 35 mins walk work a day with 3 trots of 5 minutes. He is stabled overnight and out in a restricted size paddock through the day. Now that he has trotted up sound and the scars are looking good I have been told I can gradually increase the size of his turnout area and I'm hoping that in about 6 weeks he will be back to 24/7 turnout (which is normal for him). He is full of himself at the moment so I'm taking it as a sign that he's feeling good and hoping that he settles a bit when he's finally back to his normal routine. Way to go yet but hopefully we're finally on the right track.

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
Thanks for all your posts about Stanley. My mare has had ulcers, OCD of both hinds (had N&F op), then OCD of both stifles (arthrospcoy of both), now diagnosed with arthritis in both hocks AND possible suspensory damage to offside front leg! She has been offically retired aged 8 - but thats too young for me to quite give up on her and even if I could only ever hack with an occasional trot I would love to be able to do it. I have left a message for my vet to call and me and see if horse is a possible candidate for ethanol fusing. Trouble is - the hocks need exercise and the front leg needs rest so would certainly not start anything until the spring and see where she is then.
Keep us up-to-date with your situation - and fingers crossed for Stanley

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Thanks for all your posts about Stanley. My mare has had ulcers, OCD of both hinds (had N&F op), then OCD of both stifles (arthrospcoy of both), now diagnosed with arthritis in both hocks AND possible suspensory damage to offside front leg! She has been offically retired aged 8 - but thats too young for me to quite give up on her and even if I could only ever hack with an occasional trot I would love to be able to do it. I have left a message for my vet to call and me and see if horse is a possible candidate for ethanol fusing. Trouble is - the hocks need exercise and the front leg needs rest so would certainly not start anything until the spring and see where she is then.
Keep us up-to-date with your situation - and fingers crossed for Stanley

Hi there...bless your poor mare and you. It's a nightmare when all their problems and treatment conflict each other. Stanley has also had stomach ulcers, SI joint dysfunction and is diagnosed EMS, however, I am managing those issues ok currently and working hard to fix the hocks. I will do a proper update next week as we are seeing the vet, but for now we are up to 3 X 15 mins trotting, lots of walk work, occasional lunge and occasional canter. It very hard work and a challenge for us both physically as both happy hackers normally! His left hock is clicking which panicked me initially but spoke to vet and she said not to worry cos it means it's doing what it should be. Phew. Will do a proper update once she has checked him over in person tho and let you know what's what.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
A little update- still looking like good news. Vet came on Monday and was really pleased with Stanley. He trotted up absolutely sound on the straight hard ground and we lunged him on the school for the first time since his op... he is also sound in a circle both ways! Vet said if she was being really picky his left hock doesn't come through quite as much as his right but wasn't worried about that. It may improve with time or it may not but shouldn't cause a problem. I can now add some large circles into my rehab and do a little more canter. Very happy!

SEL

Visit site
A little update- still looking like good news. Vet came on Monday and was really pleased with Stanley. He trotted up absolutely sound on the straight hard ground and we lunged him on the school for the first time since his op... he is also sound in a circle both ways! Vet said if she was being really picky his left hock doesn't come through quite as much as his right but wasn't worried about that. It may improve with time or it may not but shouldn't cause a problem. I can now add some large circles into my rehab and do a little more canter. Very happy!

That's great news - I bet you don't care about the 'picky' either!

kinnygirl1

Visit site
November update! He is still sound! AND moving the best my vet has ever seen him. (Her words :)) So relieved as its been a struggle to stick to the rehab with the rubbish weather making my trotting and cantering places soggy and slippy. Next step is to start to introduce some school work to get all the muscles toned and working correctly so circles, serpentines and some pole work are all on the menu as well as the straight line work out hacking. Poor old Stanley!

MuffettMischief

Visit site
Have just read this through from start to finish and am very interested in it all!

I have to say kudos to you because you really have been through it and to stick it out and stick to your rehab plan so religiously is incredible! Well done you!!

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Have just read this through from start to finish and am very interested in it all!

I have to say kudos to you because you really have been through it and to stick it out and stick to your rehab plan so religiously is incredible! Well done you!!

Aw thankyou ....made my eyes leak a little. I won't lie it's been hard at times and after the setback when the ethanol arthrodesis failed I felt frustrated and wondered if I could keep on with it.... But what can I say, he is my horse of a lifetime and I knew I just had to try. I'm very lucky as I have a very understanding and kind vet who is happy to talk thru things with me endlessly.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Last update.... He is sound and we are signed off to "crack on". Thank you to all of you who have been on this journey with me. I really hope this mahoosive thread will help someone out there.

Leanne1980

Visit site
Hi I have read your post with huge interest as my 7 yr old has been diagnosed with severe hock changes. Osphos and steroids are very short lived so the vet has recommended surgical fusion. Can you advise on the costs and the rehab plan including amount of box rest? Thank you. How's Stanley doing now? Xx

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Hi I have read your post with huge interest as my 7 yr old has been diagnosed with severe hock changes. Osphos and steroids are very short lived so the vet has recommended surgical fusion. Can you advise on the costs and the rehab plan including amount of box rest? Thank you. How's Stanley doing now? Xx

Hi there. Sorry to hear about your horse.

Well its been a year now since Stanley's procedure... and he is still sound! Although I should clarify that we are happy hackers and light schoolers predominately so I haven't really tested him so to speak! We have popped over some little jumps though and he loved it!

Cost wise - well I claimed on my insurance and the total claim came to nearly £6000 BUT that is right from the start of his hock problems so includes the initial steroid injections, the failed ethanol arthrodesis and all the checks ups and then the surgery and all the check ups bandage changes etc. If I remember correctly the op itself was around £2000.00.

Rehab - well it was 4 weeks total box rest then box rest with gradually increasing hand walks. By 3 months he was stabled at night and out in a small paddock through the day with controlled ridden work and by 6 months he was back to full time turn out and on a prescribed exercise programme... a little faster than the surgeon originally predicted I think but he became sound quicker than expected.

Good luck

Leanne1980

Visit site
Hi kinnygirl. My mare has had her hock drilled today and the rehab plan the vet has given me is very quick. Basically two weeks box rest then turnout and ride. That seems far to quick for me. Do you have a plan what the vet gave you that you could share? X

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Hi kinnygirl. My mare has had her hock drilled today and the rehab plan the vet has given me is very quick. Basically two weeks box rest then turnout and ride. That seems far to quick for me. Do you have a plan what the vet gave you that you could share? X
It's different to the pkan I followed but certainly the rehab needs to be quite aggressive and active to encourage the joint to fuse so that may be why. My boy had 20 staples in each hock and vet wanted to ensure the incision wound itself did not break down by over exerting himself in the field for example and that was part of the reason he had 4 weeks box rest to make sure it was knitted properly before turnout if that makes sense. I'll see if I still have my plan anywhere for you. Hope your mare is ok. Stan was quite sore the first few days.

Leanne1980

Visit site
Hi thanks for your response. Yes the vet advised she would be sore and with her hock being a mess to start with it may take a bit longer for her to come right. But he was very positive about the outcome which is good. He also said she would need to use the hock to make it fuse. He didn't want her out till the stitches are out which makes sense. It's going to be very hot weather next week which bothers me a little as she will be so hot in the stable. If you can find the plan that would be great. Just interested in comparing the hand walking, riding parts etc. Really want to make sure I do it right and I know that sometimes vets rush the rehab xx

Leanne1980

Visit site
Hi kittygirl. Did you manage to find your rehab plan? I've picked my mare up from the vets today and other than two weeks box rest I've been given no other instructions. I did ask but the treating vet was not there x

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Hi kittygirl. Did you manage to find your rehab plan? I've picked my mare up from the vets today and other than two weeks box rest I've been given no other instructions. I did ask but the treating vet was not there x
Yes I have it... It's 3 pages long... Do you want to pm me your email address and I'll scan it in at work and forward to you.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
When Stanley had surgery last year I would have loved to add pictures to show his progress but unfortunately on the old forum I couldn't find a way that allowed me upload them so I have attached a few now fir anyone who's interested. Beginning with the first day after the op in horspital, his bandages, the hocks on the day the staples came out, first Ride after box rest, first hack, first turnout back home in his micro paddock, first trot and finally one from this summer enjoying being a normal (ish) horse again. Hope you like them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg