Starting Again

JenniD

Visit site
Today I am getting back in the saddle after many years. This mature lady is excited but nervous. I'm a sixteen yr old living in a 65 yr old body! I'm hoping that I do well and it will be like riding a bike...they say you never forget. I'm looking forward to getting lots of tips and encouragement from all those in the same boat as well as those of you who have thoroughly mastered the art. Thank you Rumtytum for your encouragement. I'll let you know how I get on.:)

Mule

Visit site
You'll love it. I gave up for about 16 years or so and unfortunately (for me) it was not like riding a bike:D
Interestingly I'm much more confident as an adult rider than I was as a child.

WandaMare

Visit site
How exciting, hope all goes well, there is nothing like getting back in the saddle after a long break. Enjoy :)

JenniD

Visit site
You'll love it. I gave up for about 16 years or so and unfortunately (for me) it was not like riding a bike:D
Interestingly I'm much more confident as an adult rider than I was as a child.

How exciting, hope all goes well, there is nothing like getting back in the saddle after a long break. Enjoy :)

Good luck!

I had a break of about 20 years - found I remembered a lot but also forgot a lot!

Thanks for your kind words....I shall give it my best shot. While trying to get to sleep last night I was mentally going through what I remembered and working out what leg to use for this and that...what a saddo! I can't find the little 'icons'..smiley faces etc. never mind. Have a great day. I'll let you know how I got on.

Surbie

Visit site
Oh well done!
I am in a similar boat. I had a long break and have dived back in with a loan horse. It is SO MUCH FUN!

Even though frustratingly my head knows what I should be doing but my body isn't quite supple enough or fit enough to do it. I've had to go right back to basics and start again, which I took a while to accept was needed.

I don't mean to imply that will be the same for you - but don't beat yourself up if your legs/back/bum etc don't remember as much as your head does! Hope you have a cracking time, do let us know how you get on.

JenniD

Visit site
Thanks folks for the posts......well! what can I say?...ouch! might be a start! I arrived early to fill out the required form. I thought it was going to be a disclaimer ..i.e. "If you fall off and break every bone in your body, don't blame us" form, but it wasn't. I wore my new body protector. Necessary but not pretty and I kind of look like A Mutant Ninja Turtle in it..however, I climbed aboard Bo, a grey 16hh gelding. Lovely old fella. After a stirrup adjustment we got started. It went quite well, but I was a bit wobbly with my rising trot! It was more luck than judgement, and you're dead right Surbie, my legs/back and bum definitely had the onset of dementia! But after a few minutes of wobbling I managed to get the hang of it...or rather I was faking it to make it. I enjoyed myself thoroughly. My instructor was lovely, and very patient and said I was doing ok - she was so diplomatic! I'd been worried throughout the lesson about getting off. It's not a pretty sight and sadly my worries were justified - I'm killing myself laughing as I type - took my feet out of the stirrups and on the command of "swing your leg over!" I swung with all my might and got my foot jammed behind the back of the saddle! "Try again", same thing happened! she managed to de-jamb my foot and I dropped like a brick to the ground. The drop seemed to go on forever! I must add that there were 4 onlookers. Well I think I should have been given a rosette for 'lousiest dismount of the day'! But I'm not giving up! I'm going again, and I'll keep going until I get it all right. There surely must be an exercise I can do to improve my leg swinging..haha! I shall ask the Yoga lady across the road. But kidding aside, with a lot ( A LOT) of rough edges smoothed down I think there might be a chance I'll be allowed to hack with a group with confidence. That's what I'd like to do, just enjoy it.....I'm definitely no threat to anyone competing at Hickstead!! :) I shall look forward to my next session.

Mule

Visit site
Glad you enjoyed it :) I had difficulty dismounting too. My foot didn't get stuck but I did manage to kick the horse while swinging my leg over :eek3:. Horse just looked at me and sighed!

JenniD

Visit site
It's easily done though. School horses have so much patience don't they? Well they have to be I suppose. But I did spend some time with him afterwards, and he enjoyed the polo mints I gave him. Bless his heart.:)

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
So pleased you enjoyed your lesson and are revved up to go back for more! Won't take long before you are swinging that right leg over like a gymnast, oh how I've learned that every time I do something embarrassing there are always spectators around to enjoy the free entertainment :D.
I hope at some point you make a special bond with one horse, it's such a great feeling, and perhaps you too will be able to share some quiet time just the two of you together. It's priceless.
Please keep up the posts, it's a real pleasure to read them.

Last edited:

oldie48

Visit site
Equi pilates and franklin balls are your best friends. Seriously, I am 70 and took it all up at 50, a complete numpty novice, i ride better now than I have ever done thanks to good tuition, a super horse and equi pilates and laterly the franklin balls! Good luck and enjoy!!!!

JenniD

Visit site
So pleased you enjoyed your lesson and are revved up to go back for more! Won't take long before you are swinging that right leg over like a gymnast, oh how I've learned that every time I do something embarrassing there are always spectators around to enjoy the free entertainment :D.
I hope at some point you make a special bond with one horse, it's such a great feeling, and perhaps you too will be able to share some quiet time just the two of you together. It's priceless.
Please keep up the posts, it's a real pleasure to read them.
Thanks so much. Yes, I enjoyed it! You know, I spent quite a while before I went to sleep trying to simulate the best way to get off! Who would've thought that the hardest part of the lesson was trying to dismount! I felt such an idiot. But I shan't give up. Have a good day. When are you riding next?

Equi pilates and franklin balls are your best friends. Seriously, I am 70 and took it all up at 50, a complete numpty novice, i ride better now than I have ever done thanks to good tuition, a super horse and equi pilates and laterly the franklin balls! Good luck and enjoy!!!!
Ooh! I shall get on to that. I've never heard of franklin balls. Well, it just goes to show that our ages are just numbers and that if we want something badly enough it can be achieved. Thanks for your help.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Good for you!

I'm now 60 (how did that happen :eek3:?) and find dismounting to be the trickest part of riding! Mounting is ok as long as I have a decent mounting block, but to dismount I ride back to the arena to slither off even after a hack. My knees prefer the more forgiving sand and rubber surface. It's not pretty, and is always worse if I've had a break from riding for any reason. The actual riding is the easy part...

Keep posting, OP, it's great that you're getting back into horses :). Will love to hear how you get on.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You'll be so sore tomorrow! The second day is always the worst. My legs are killing me now after a farm ride on Monday that I'm not used to :)

Dismounting tip for oldies. Lean forward and press down on the pommel or wither to lift your weight a bit as you lift your leg over.

There also used to be a dismount when I was a child where you kept you foot in the near side stirrup until your leg was over, then lean your weight on the saddle, release the foot, and slide to the floor. I've not seen anyone do it for years.

Rumtytum

Visit site
Thanks so much. Yes, I enjoyed it! You know, I spent quite a while before I went to sleep trying to simulate the best way to get off! Who would've thought that the hardest part of the lesson was trying to dismount! I felt such an idiot. But I shan't give up. Have a good day. When are you riding next?
Hope to have a lesson next week, always have private 1 to 1 for full-on focus. Will you have private or group? Last week was so hot my brain fried and I rode like a total idiot, cue comment from instructor: "You are a passenger in canter". Ouch! That hit home! She was right of course as testified by the videos on my phone..... I've learned to cope with the many humiliations along with the far rarer praise :D When are you riding next?

JenniD

Visit site
Good for you!

I'm now 60 (how did that happen :eek3:?) and find dismounting to be the trickest part of riding! Mounting is ok as long as I have a decent mounting block, but to dismount I ride back to the arena to slither off even after a hack. My knees prefer the more forgiving sand and rubber surface. It's not pretty, and is always worse if I've had a break from riding for any reason. The actual riding is the easy part...

Keep posting, OP, it's great that you're getting back into horses :). Will love to hear how you get on.
I couldn't have put it better myself!! I'm exactly the same! The mind is willing but the flesh is weak! :) As for age....I feel robbed! I honestly don't know where the last ten years went. I remember being 56 but the rest is just a blur! Of course I'm only about 18 in my head but my body's calling me a liar! I get lots of walking in but of course my leg muscles aren't tested as much! I'll be blowed if it gets the better of me though. Nice to hear from you. p.s. where is everyone getting all the smiley faces from? When I reply to posts there's no tool bar :(

You'll be so sore tomorrow! The second day is always the worst. My legs are killing me now after a farm ride on Monday that I'm not used to :)

Dismounting tip for oldies. Lean forward and press down on the pommel or wither to lift your weight a bit as you lift your leg over.

There also used to be a dismount when I was a child where you kept you foot in the near side stirrup until your leg was over, then lean your weight on the saddle, release the foot, and slide to the floor. I've not seen anyone do it for years.
Yes, I guess I'll be a bit sore :( never mind I'll get used to it. When I got back in the car to drive home my lower legs were like jelly! I couldn't keep continuous pressure on the clutch and I jerked all the way home like a kangaroo!! I actually pondered on the 'keep one foot in the stirrup' dismount, but I expect I'll be told off if I try it....I shall have a sneaky go! It's so nice having people to moan to who were born in the same era so to speak. Thanks for your good tips.

Hope to have a lesson next week, always have private 1 to 1 for full-on focus. Will you have private or group? Last week was so hot my brain fried and I rode like a total idiot, cue comment from instructor: "You are a passenger in canter". Ouch! That hit home! She was right of course as testified by the videos on my phone..... I've learned to cope with the many humiliations along with the far rarer praise :D When are you riding next?
You sound very good to me! It was hot yesterday too and with a body protector on too I was boiling. I know they're necessary - for me at least - but I find them cumbersome and bulky, but if I don't wear one knowing my luck I'll end up n A&E! :) I hope to have a 1-1 next week. I'm just about to phone her/them to see. I think they need to update their website. The prices on the site aren't the same as she charged me...I'll have to mention it. Speak soon.

9tails

Visit site
To dismount: left hand on pommel and gently swing backwards so your legs go forwards then swing forwards over your hand and you should get enough momentum for your leg to clear the horse's backside. As you swing over, bring your right hand to the cantle and lower yourself to the ground.

FFAQ

Visit site
Fantastic JenniD, thanks for starting this inspirational thread! As for getting off - I managed to fall off a parked horse once (forgot to take my feet out of the stirrup)! I also managed to end up sitting behind the saddle on the horse's back when I mounted for my 2nd side saddle lesson, so I think getting your foot stuck is perfectly acceptable!
Looking forward to hearing more about your return to riding 😊

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site

well you havent seen me then. i have dodgy hips and always dismount like that....i find it much easier and it slows down the descent as well.

Mule

Visit site
I had problems with my balance when I started back. I found lunge lessons fantastic. Did either 3 or 4 on a saintly school horse. Found it lots of fun too.

JenniD

Visit site
Fantastic JenniD, thanks for starting this inspirational thread! As for getting off - I managed to fall off a parked horse once (forgot to take my feet out of the stirrup)! I also managed to end up sitting behind the saddle on the horse's back when I mounted for my 2nd side saddle lesson, so I think getting your foot stuck is perfectly acceptable!
Looking forward to hearing more about your return to riding ��
Would you mind coming with me next week and doing the same routine? With any luck I'll look like a pro! I can't thank people enough for their honesty and input. TBH, when I came home I was on the verge of tears. I thought I was the only person in the UK to have this problem. Now I'm equipped with everyone's knowledge and tips I'm feeling really positive! As for riding side saddle. I can't even imagine what it must be like! What a gutsy lady you are. I thought it was only Demelza Poldark that rode side saddle!:)

well you havent seen me then. i have dodgy hips and always dismount like that....i find it much easier and it slows down the descent as well.
I think it's the best plan of action. I wonder if I'll get away with it though? It's worth a try. Anything's better than the other day! How the poor horse stood there stock still while I committed GBH is a miracle! To quote my daughter's riding instructor when she was having a blub over her pony's refusal to behave..WINNERS DON'T QUIT AND QUITTERS DON'T WIN! I've never forgotten that. That shall be my mantra.....until I fall off!:)

I had problems with my balance when I started back. I found lunge lessons fantastic. Did either 3 or 4 on a saintly school horse. Found it lots of fun too.
I might ask her about that next time. I want as much help as I can cram in to my brain cell. I was taught to ride in Ireland. Born and brought up just outside Dublin!

Mule

Visit site
Would you mind coming with me next week and doing the same routine? With any luck I'll look like a pro! I can't thank people enough for their honesty and input. TBH, when I came home I was on the verge of tears. I thought I was the only person in the UK to have this problem. Now I'm equipped with everyone's knowledge and tips I'm feeling really positive! As for riding side saddle. I can't even imagine what it must be like! What a gutsy lady you are. I thought it was only Demelza Poldark that rode side saddle!:)

I think it's the best plan of action. I wonder if I'll get away with it though? It's worth a try. Anything's better than the other day! How the poor horse stood there stock still while I committed GBH is a miracle! To quote my daughter's riding instructor when she was having a blub over her pony's refusal to behave..WINNERS DON'T QUIT AND QUITTERS DON'T WIN! I've never forgotten that. That shall be my mantra.....until I fall off!:)

I might ask her about that next time. I want as much help as I can cram in to my brain cell. I was taught to ride in Ireland. Born and brought up just outside Dublin!

I get the impression that they're more into schooling in the UK. Taking time to get things right rather than just getting on with it. I think it's an approach that suits adult learners in particular.

Rumtytum

Visit site
At least you were TAUGHT to ride when you were younger - I'd never been in a riding school or had a lesson and I'm a very slow learner! Haven't had a prob dismounting (up to now....), just wonder if you could practice at home, holding on to a table top with your left hand and swinging your right leg up and over? I've been on the verge of tears so many times, but as your daughter's instructor said quitting is not an option if you want to succeed. And when you do something well and are pleased with your efforts the feeling is just wonderful.

leflynn

Visit site
Yay so pleased you went for it despite the aches, I gave up for about 16 years and got back into 10 years ago and have never looked back :D (despite the ouch moments). I never thought I'd end up doing what I am now (dressage and hunting and the odd xc) and finally having my own horse. I got frustrated at how much I had forgotten to start with and how wibbly I was but it does comes back :D

Have fun and post lots of updates!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Ive just caught up with this thread - brilliant - another more mature person takes to the saddle. The more you ride the more your muscles will forgive you. Hope you have lots of enjoyment and wonder how long it will be before you buy your own!

JenniD

Visit site
I get the impression that they're more into schooling in the UK. Taking time to get things right rather than just getting on with it. I think it's an approach that suits adult learners in particular.
I think if I was left to my own devices there's no telling how many bad habits I'd get into!:) I think in my case I'm going to have to get things right to begin with...getting off properly might be a start!

At least you were TAUGHT to ride when you were younger - I'd never been in a riding school or had a lesson and I'm a very slow learner! Haven't had a prob dismounting (up to now....), just wonder if you could practice at home, holding on to a table top with your left hand and swinging your right leg up and over? I've been on the verge of tears so many times, but as your daughter's instructor said quitting is not an option if you want to succeed. And when you do something well and are pleased with your efforts the feeling is just wonderful.
Yes, I was taught and I was fearless as we are when we're young..some of the little things I learnt as a child seem to be obsolete now....but you're right, when things go well it's so worth it isn't it?

Yay so pleased you went for it despite the aches, I gave up for about 16 years and got back into 10 years ago and have never looked back :D (despite the ouch moments). I never thought I'd end up doing what I am now (dressage and hunting and the odd xc) and finally having my own horse. I got frustrated at how much I had forgotten to start with and how wibbly I was but it does comes back :D

Well you've certainly come a long way from being 'wibbly'! How long have you had your horse?

JenniD

Visit site
I think if I was left to my own devices there's no telling how many bad habits I'd get into!:) I think in my case I'm going to have to get things right to begin with...getting off properly might be a start!

Yes, I was taught and I was fearless as we are when we're young..some of the little things I learnt as a child seem to be obsolete now....but you're right, when things go well it's so worth it isn't it?

Well you've certainly come a long way from being 'wibbly'! How long have you had your horse?

JenniD

Visit site
Well I've organised my next lesson! Next Thursday. Really looking forward to it. I've organised the forklift truck too!:)....hopefully all the swinging I've done in the past few days will stand me in good stead. If not, I'll just have to sneak in a 'keep left foot in stirrup' then release dismount...but I'll try all the tips. I'm wondering what will happen if it rains. There is no indoor arena. I'm not worried about getting wet but I don't know what their feelings are regarding the rain. When I was a kid we spent the lesson time cleaning tack. Should it rain it'll be interesting to find out.