Starting horses - Gloucestershire or surrounding areas

HuskyFluff

Visit site
I'm looking to get a horse started fairly soon, so looking for recommendations in/near-ish the above area. I'm more interested in Jason Webb style of horsemanship (I think he's probably booked up - have requested details though) rather than the gung ho 'leap on and hold on'/'horse training by numbers' school of thought, especially as she's a pretty sensitive horse. But was wondering if there's anyone with a similar horse centric approach based nearer to me that anyone can recommend.

TheMule

Visit site
It's interesting because I really like Jason (had him out for one of mine when he was local last month) but I think they get backed pretty quickl there!
Will you do all the groundwork etc yourself or do you want the whole thing done?
If I have a tricky one they go to Tim Piper who is in Somerset but I really like his way of doing things, it's very adaptive to the individual and he did a great job with my very sensitive mare

zandp

Visit site
Adam Goodfellow / Nicole Golding are in your neck of the woods I think, they're Monty Roberts RAs. Alternatively any classical instructor could also be the right approach for you.

HuskyFluff

Visit site
Will you do all the groundwork etc yourself or do you want the whole thing done?

That's interesting re the quick backing - I was under the impression that he took as long as it took!

I've done a lot of the groundwork myself, but would probably want some work done to confirm that what she knows is compatible with what the trainer expects her to know, if you see what I mean.

zandp

Visit site
Also Jennie Blakehill / Harmony Equitation - she's nearer Swindon though.

A friend had hers started by Jason and the speed he worked at didn't suit her horse.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Sophie Seymour backed my youngster the start of this year, she was fantastic & I would highly recommend her all day long.
Hesteyri horses also local to me & I've always heard good things.

HuskyFluff

Visit site
Good to know re Sophie Seymour. Dan Wain's website looks intriguing - Warks is doable as well.

Thanks!

The other one I've found in my online searching is Will Hunt - but I'm not warming to the website for some reason..

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'd pick hesteyri over hunt :/ They are just round the corner from me. Where abouts in Gloucestershire are you looking? Big county with awkward river thru the middle!

HuskyFluff

Visit site
@milliepops I'm in North Glos, close to the border with Worcs, but don't mind travelling - I'd like to be able to visit her though. So probably up to approx 2 hours or so travelling - possibly more.