Starting out as a Freelance groom

littl3lotti3

New User
Visit site
Hi I am thinking of starting up as a freelance groom. I currently work as a groom on a 16 horse yard. I am training for my bhs stages, currently don't have any but have 15years experience in the horse industry. Do I need my stages to become freelance? Need some advice on how to go about it? Do you suggest it is a good career to be in and on average what is the going rate? Would be very greatful for any help/advice given :) thanks in advance

Orangehorse

Visit site
I use a freelance on occasion, she has been self employed for over 30 years, as long as I have known her. She started off doing riding, and breaking and schooling, then only rode horses she knew well that weren't going to chuck her off, and now doesn't ride at all (since all the old reliables have died off or retired). I think to start with also she had a fairly reliable job in exercising racehorses locally so was able to do this as a core job, then just added more clients.

She does a lot of clipping, which is quite good as you can fit in journeys. She also does turnout and plaiting up for important events!

You need to be careful that you are not driving miles for half an hour's work, or at least factor it in to your charges.
She is totally, utterly reliable. I am not a fussy owner, so don't get too het up if they are turned out/fetched in a bit late, or a bit early, but I know that she will do the job and is also experienced enough if something awful happened and a vet was required.

One thing that I really like is that she always leaves a little note, even if it is to say "no problems." Once she noted that one horse hadn't eaten up their tea straight away. Leaving a note is always reassuring.

Farma

Visit site
Yes I would do the bhs stages to prove competence to your employer, you can always do without but to me they would show a minimum level of ability and effort on the grooms part to be professional, once you build your reputation you wont need them but to get started I would definitely do them.
The going rate where I am is circa £8-£12 per hour and obviously you will be travelling from place to place which needs to be factored in. If you are being paid I would expect someone to have a high standard of clipping/trimming/pulling and plaiting aswell so if you are weak make sure you brush up on those skills.
Also be honest about your strengths and weaknesses as some yards will have stallions and youngstock and so be sure that you are capable of what is expected of you before you go to a job!
if you are doing your stages you may aswell do the ptt so you have a chance to teach aswell as the teaching rate is much higher than a grooms rate and if you could do a bit of both then you could bulk up your money x

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'd value your experience over a youngster with BHS stages any day. I don't know what the going rate for a freelance is, but don't undersell yourself. Set a fair minimum charge per visit or per day, so that you aren't driving miles to hang up a haynet for £2 somewhere.

Make sure you are insured.

Good luck.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I would think that it would be very difficult to get proper training and experience and a fair wage if you are freelance.
I can train most horse friendly people up to muck out and bring in horses and fill haynets, but I would not employ anyone who had these skills and no more. I would expect a freelance to be competant without training and I don't see that they would do this if they could get a full time job in a good yard.
I did pay someone to groom/handle my horse etc but I drew the line at paying her for riding as she was not good enough, she rode him when she had the time, and it cost me nothing. I gave her a few lessons if I was there, but really, a good groom should be able to do all the work and I would want them to ride at a decent level.
She got £6.00 per visit and was flexible in that she did some grooming etc if it only took her ten minutes to bring him in, she was expected to keep the stable clean and sweet smelling [a problem where I was] and to keep me informed, so I knew he had been visited, not left wondering.
I am able to judge if someone can ride, and so can the horse!!!!
Clipping requires you to have a good set of clippers and experience, otherwise it could be a disaster, plaiting and pulling manes also requires experience, so really, the average person is no use.

Last edited:

Auslander

Visit site
I would think that it would be very difficult to get proper training and experience and a fair wage if you are freelance.
I can train most horse friendly people up to muck out and bring in horses and fill haynets, but I would not employ anyone who had these skills and no more. I would expect a freelance to be competant without training and I don't see that they would do this if they could get a full time job in a good yard.
I did pay someone to groom/handle my horse etc but I drew the line at paying her for riding as she was not good enough, she rode him when she had the time, and it cost me nothing. I gave her a few lessons if I was there, but really, a good groom should be able to do all the work and I would want them to ride at a decent level.
She got £6.00 per visit and was flexible in that she did some grooming etc if it only took her ten minutes to bring him in, she was expected to keep the stable clean and sweet smelling [a problem where I was] and to keep me informed, so I knew he had been visited, not left wondering.
Clipping requires you to have a good set of clippers and experience, otherwise it could be a disaster, plaiting and pulling manes also requires experience, so really, the average person is no use.

As the OP has 15 years of experience, and is currently working on a yard - I don't think any of this really applies!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
As the OP has 15 years of experience, and is currently working on a yard - I don't think any of this really applies!
It might do. I just giving my opinion form an employers perspective. If she is a top class groom she would struggle to make a decent living from part time work. A bit different if she is a good rider who can charge for schooling, but if she is only doing the basics she won t be able to charge a premium. Clipping and preparation for showing is more of a one off, and charged per occasion not per hour.

Last edited:

Bens_Mum

Visit site
I used to do this no stages lots of experience. I've never had anyone ask about stages and I've worked for Olympians so I wouldn't bother. I can clip, pull and plait to a very high standard and as others have said deal with difficult horses. I didn't ride anything I didn't know because getting decked isn't good for business and make sure you are insured. It's extremely difficult to make a good living in summer and everything is reputation.
You need a base job somewhere I would say so you know you have some guaranteed income. I also taught and again was never asked about stages. I didn't do them because it never been asked for and costs a bomb.
I charged £10 an hour plus travel if it took 30 mins it was still £10 and anything more than 15 mins over a further £10. You need a very economical car too.
People still don't want to pay decent money for grooms even good ones and it's hard to make it pay. You need regular clients and contacts to make it work. Good luck!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
A friend of mine started up a couple of years ago. She'd never worked with horses, but had had her own horses for decades. She has done ok from it, especially in winter when there is lots of clipping and yard jobs to be done. Another friend that I did my BHSAI with (decades ago) does it. She also teaches and does house sitting in summer to compensate for lack of clipping.

I would be happy with anyone reliable. Half of the freelances I've seen advertised haven't turned up when they were meant to be coming to discuss working! My fave freelance has no qualifications but I worked on a yard with her years ago. She is hardworking, reliable and I trust her 100%.

Ps, I think £10-12/hr is acceptable for yard work and general exercise, more for schooling (that's when the qualifications come in IMO) and clipping/ show prep at set prices.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I employ two freelance grooms .
They are both very experienced and highly competent can ride fit horses and be left in sole charge when necessary
Both chose to work freelance both prefer it they have their own horses and can arrange their work so they can enjoy their own horses and have control over their hours .
Neither wants the back breaking six day a week that a full time job as a groom often entails .
I will be the person they both do the most hours with and they both live very near to me but they both do different things with other people, one does house sitting as well, which fits in well as it does not interfere with her horse work .
Having stages would not interest me at all if I was looking to employ a groom i also train if it's appropriate , and have done so in the past reliability and a good attitude is want I am after .

Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site
I think your wrong. Not every one want or needs a gold standard. I know of at least two people local to me who are freelance and I employ someone who has no horse qualifications. I have a very low key yard, with fat muddy ponies to be honest I interviewed someone who was well qualified but their experience was warmbloods and a smart yard, I was looking for someone reliable and a long term booking not someone who would be looking for something better to add to their CV. A degree in life and common sense wins over paper.
I would agree that planning your 'book' and making sure you are charging enough is a must.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I think your wrong. Not every one want or needs a gold standard. I know of at least two people local to me who are freelance and I employ someone who has no horse qualifications. I have a very low key yard, with fat muddy ponies to be honest I interviewed someone who was well qualified but their experience was warmbloods and a smart yard, I was looking for someone reliable and a long term booking not someone who would be looking for something better to add to their CV. A degree in life and common sense wins over paper.
I would agree that planning your 'book' and making sure you are charging enough is a must.
Sorry, I did employ someone who was reliable [essential] but she mixed her horses with dog walking, it seemed to me that she only made a minimum income [husband had a good job], my main point was that it would not be a reasonably well paid business and not necesarily better paid than a full time job. Working for yourself means paying for everything out of your income, and may mean that you are not any better off financially, but may be suited by the flexibility, but not everyone can cope with the ups and downs, and the fact that you are "on your own".
The more skills the better but I don't think "stages" mean much, however, however it is not easy to progress your riding if you don't have the support of a big yard. My groom would not have been able to get instruction unless I paid for it and provided my horse.
Remember you need to put approx 8% of income in to your pension, and if you need also accident insurance, it will be very expensive.
If living in a wealthy area it might be worth thinking about, but to be honest, I think it is very risky.

Last edited:

Girlracer

Visit site
I do some freelancing and have found it fairly easy to fill my days. I don't get any less than £10 an hour at any of my yards and it's very varied work.

I have experience running an event yard as well as working in a team on many other yards.

I chose to go freelance as I can plan my week around what I'm doing and it is also much more pleasant and considerably better paid than a full time yard job.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
A reliable, honest person with experience means more than qualifications. £10 a hour is the general going rate around here. The flexibility is great but it can make doing your own horses a chore.