Steep fields

EventerJo

New User
Visit site
Hi all... I have a 28 year old wbxtb. Been offered a lovely paddock on a quiet yard. Beautiful stables sand school etc. The only thing I'm not sure of is the paddock is on a slope. Not a lot of grass which is fine as he can have as much haylage as he wants. Water at the top and hay rack at the bottom on a flat area. I would love to go there as I already have a mare there and would be easier if I can have them altogether but concerned about him going on the hill. Thoughts please?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We find that when the horses are on the steep field, they develop really good hindquarter muscles. All our land is sloped, though, even 'the flat field' where we do our schooling. I'm sure he will be fine, unless the land is only suitable for mountain goats.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
how steep is steep?
my oldies prefer not to go on the steep bank in their field even though the grass is better there. they will graze it but they clearly prefer the flatter areas.

EventerJo

New User
Visit site
We find that when the horses are on the steep field, they develop really good hindquarter muscles. All our land is sloped, though, even 'the flat field' where we do our schooling. I'm sure he will be fine, unless the land is only suitable for mountain goats.

Apparently it does get slippy in the winter but there is an hardstanding area at the bottom that's flat. My boy has only ever been used to flat grassed fields ??

EventerJo

New User
Visit site
how steep is steep?
my oldies prefer not to go on the steep bank in their field even though the grass is better there. they will graze it but they clearly prefer the flatter areas.

Just roughly a 45 degree angle at the top coming down to 30 degree at the bottom then a flat area!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
45 degrees? No I wouldn't put an oldie on that, sorry :(

My field is 25° in places and flat nowhere, but I wouldn't like 45°

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yeah, he's pretty old to be changing to that kind of environment too. it would be different if he was 18 and had time to get used to it, but it might be pretty tough going especially if it's slippy in the winter.