steve irwin killed

allijudd

Visit site
Jesus...can you believe that, steve irwin (the crocodile hunter) has been killed by a stingray which peirced his heart with a barb...

he leaves his wife and 2 young children....

CastleMouse

Visit site
I just heard it a few minutes ago, I'm really shocked
frown.gif

amzy

Visit site
OMG I really liked his programmes, how sad. Poor Poor family. I did think one day a croc would get him as he has had many lucky escapes! RIP Steve.
shocked.gif
frown.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Very sad, but one does have to wonder what he was doing putting himself at risk in that way when he has such a young family who depend on him
frown.gif

bertiewooster

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh my god! Steve was a legend!

I really enjoyed watching his programmes, thoughts go to the family.

RIP
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree, I felt really upset when I heard, even though obviously I don't know him. But OH does a really good impression of him, which just won't be funny anymore...
frown.gif

JAK

Visit site
We were all very saddened to hear of this tragedy, the girls all loved his programmes & his 'larger than life' personality!
He was indeed a legend & will be hugely missed by many but of course, thought go out to his his poor wife & two little children!

He pushed his luck so many times, which is part of what made his programmes so exciting etc. & it is sad that he had taken a fair bit of criticism in recent months for being somewhat over-intrusive, as his deep passion for animals of all kinds was as genuine as anyone's & he made great inroads I believe in igniting peoples' interest in wildlife generally!

RIP Steve, we were great fans of yours, thanks for everything you taught my girls! xxx

Olliedog

Visit site
it's so sad. Okay, I'll admit i thought he was a bit of an idiot, some of the stuff he did...but he leaves behind a wife and young family, and many admiring fans.
frown.gif

RIP Steve

pixie

Visit site
He wasn't really putting himself at risk though. The last recorded death in Aus by stingray was in 1945. Their barbs are only used in defense. He should be experienced enough not to scare it, I guess it was just very bad luck. Poor dude, I though he was invulnerable
frown.gif

vivhewe

Visit site
I read it on the local paper website this morning and thought 'Jeez, who the hell hunts crocodiles in Cumbria?!' and then I read it and was in shock - he's one of those people where they seem to go quiet for a while, but then come back and they die old and happy - it's just such an awful freak turn of events and I agree with Pixie - it was just very bad luck. It had gone through his heart aparently
frown.gif
and like bertiewooster I know someone who did a cracking impression of him, but it just won't be funny now.

He was filming for his daughter's TV show when it happened too - how bad is the poor kid going to feel when she gets older and understands more?
crazy.gif

Steve Irwin was a legend and I really feel for his wife and kids and everyone that knew him - I'd say they must be devastated but it doesn't begin to say how much they must be upset. Even though not everyone agreed with what he did all of the time, IMHO he was an all round good guy and Oz has lost one of its best.

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
R.I.P.

TBH I'm not shocked to hear he died from interacting with animals, he took terrible risks poking and prodding wild animals to get them to react to the camera ... in this instance he was filming sting rays and was stung - he then died from a heart attack at the scene - there's only so many times you can push it before something pushes back...

Olliedog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
he then died from a heart attack at the scene

[/ QUOTE ]
Not quite, the barb went through his heart. They believe he died pretty much instantly.

darksided

Visit site
Noooo!! I thought it was just someone playing a SICK SICK joke on me!!
frown.gif

Poor Steve
frown.gif

He was a good egg, and his cries of "Crikey!!" will be sorely missed.
Terrible for his poor family
frown.gif

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
Terribly sad news.

Previously dull nature programmes shot at long distance, with commentary by presenters with little personality, were transformed into watchable entertainment by this man.
With his unique style and personality, he brought nature conservation into the 21st century, and made it fascinating for previously disinterested viewers.
He was responsible for a huge upsurge in Australian tourism, and actively campaigned against wildlife hunting with huge success.
He lived his life the way he wanted to, doing something worthwhile and helping a huge amount of endangered wild species along the way by bringing attention to their plight.
His untimely death was a freak accident, and is a tragic waste only because in his lifetime he could have achieved so much more.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I was so shocked when i heard this this morning
frown.gif

I know he took big risks but i am still really shocked and sad.

His family must be devasted, RIP Steve
frown.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He was a legend, so brave. RIP Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Brave? Or stupid? It was bound to happen one day, if you play with fire for long enough you'll get burnt. I'm afraid I'm more sad for his children, I don't think he was all that responsible messing around with dangerous animals when he had a wife and two children to think about, when you have children its not all about you anymore.

Neverless I was very sad to hear the news from my farrier this morning, I always LOVED watching his programmes and I for one will miss him. RIP.