Still shaking...low flying fast fighter jet whilst hacking my new 4yo.

fastgamble

Visit site
I have just had the most terrifying experience...Surely this cannot be legal? I was riding my new 4yo young event horse on forestry commission land tonight when a fighter jet came directly towards us out of nowhere just skimming the treetops. He was going so fast that i do not believe he could have avoided us even if he had seen us, which he clearly didn't. The noise was deafening...terrifying...totally disorientating. My horse froze and spun, but fortunately didn't bolt. THIS COULD HAVE CAUSED A SERIOUS ACCIDENT! Can anyone tell me wether the jet was flying legally? Surely the MOD should tell the public if they are going to fly so fast and low that we can avoid riding at those times? I am still shaking i was so frightened by the jet, let alone my horse who just did not need that kind of fright. A serious accident will happen if this type of low flying continues without warning. Who can i complain to? Who is responsible for this type of low flying jet? I cannot let this go without some sort of complaint/objection.

Brontie

Visit site
I believe it isnt illegal, and that the MOD has to practice low flying etc. All riders are told to wear High Vizibility, and the pilots will do the best they can to avoid you. Sorry to hear about your incident, But luckily he didnt bolt! The BHS have worked with the MOD, and have produced a leaflet. Which I will try and find now for you
smile.gif

Nick.

ETA; Here it is
smile.gif

http://www.bhs.org.uk/About_Us/Campaigns/Safety/Low_Flying_Aircraft.aspx

Persephone

Visit site
Probably best to ask the owner of the land if there are any restrictions for low flying in that area.

If it's any consolation I got buzzed by the Red Arrows last year lol. Leg on that's my motto!

Seriously though if you are in a low flying area make sure you wear plenty of high viz, even off road as they will avoid if possible or at least contact in if you have an accident. I am in a search and rescue area so we have a low flying helicopter spuddling around a lot of the time.

kerilli

Visit site
hi viz is the answer, i've had low-flying pilots veer off their course when they've seen me before.
i agree, it is very frightening, luckily it is usually over very fast and it is in the lap of the gods whether the horse panics.
frown.gif
frown.gif

i know they do have a base level below which they are not allowed to fly, but when they're big and fast they can look as if they're tree-topping when they're actually quite a bit higher...
frown.gif
frown.gif

congrats on a lucky escape. btw, i've found that singing at the absolute top of my voice when i see a low jet or heli distracts/disorientates/distresses my horse enough that s/he hardly notices the aircraft...

fastgamble

Visit site
Thanks Nick, i have just read the BHS link. It states that quote 'The Coroner stated that this (fatality) should never happen again and that the MoD had to take action to avoid it.'
Hmm... i don't think the MOD are taking that advice too seriously.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com

Firstly * breathe*

Main thing is that you and your horse are OK. It must have been an awful experience.

I agree that it could have been worse.
They are allowed to fly low, and also it is an important part of their training so you have to take this into account. The pilot probably didn't see you until it was too late - especially if you were in a forestry area. I would take it up with someone if you can, to raise awareness to them, but please don't go shouting the odds. I am sure it wasn't intentional.
frown.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
eek how scary
blush.gif
i was jumping my 4 year old last week and a mountain rescue helichopter flew over the arena and landed in the field next to it...Vandi didn;t bat an eyelid (think he was too focussed on his jumps!
smirk.gif
) perhaps you could contact the MOD and try to get flight times or wahtever from them to try and avoid them in the future?
smile.gif

sevoflurane

Visit site
OMG thats terrifying, can't believe horsey didn't bolt....I remember as a girl a passenger jet flew over us and that was bad enough....we were by the airport so we did expect it tho!

Glad you are both ok and if your youngster can cope with that nothing should be a problem

have a brandy xxxxxx

Booboos

Visit site
So glad you are OK and I feel your frustration!

We've had a horse injured when it panicked with a low flying helicopter, and two close calls with low flying helicopters and low flying cargo planes (!!!!!). I've spoken with the MOD each time, they were very polite, but firmly said that there can give no warning, can't avoid any areas and we have to live with it.

Personally I don't buy the 'training' excuse - training to save one person's life by endangering another's life doesn't really make sense to me. Ambulances and the police have to drive with due care and attention when responding to emergencies, why do pilots get away with training?

kerilli

Visit site
tbh the best thing is to live under 1 of the main flying routes and then the horses get used to it... as they can get used to just about anything. i used to live under the main A1 airroute in Northants and my lot learnt to be absolutely plane-proof...
we get a lot of jets here too, particularly Eurofighters practising, and the odd huge heli (the double-rotor ones), mine don't pay them any attention now. very lucky.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

we get a lot of jets here too, particularly Eurofighters practising, and the odd huge heli (the double-rotor ones), mine don't pay them any attention now. very lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. We get a lot of low flying and none of the horses bat an eye. They still spook me as they roar overhead though
crazy.gif

fastgamble

Visit site
Well, i have just rung the MOD complaints line to register the incident. They have basically said that the whole of the UK (except towns and cities) is used for low flying fast jets and they will not say where or when the planes are going to be flying.
This means that riders cannot take any steps to prevent an accident occurring.

This is in direct contradiction to the BHS guidance which states that following a recent fatality, 'The Coroner stated that this (fatality) should never happen again and that the MoD had to take action to avoid it.'

I understand that low flying practice needs to happen but the MOD attitude is just an accident waiting to happen!

Ho Hum, I'll just have to try and jet proof my horse....

harrihjc

Visit site
It can be very scary, glad you and horsey are OK. I used to keep mine right next to an airport and Flash used to love watching the planes fly over his head in the field (strange horse), but when you're out hacking it can scare the life out of you!

Barleyboo

Visit site
It's terrifying isn't it, some chinooks came right over the trees when we were riding on holiday and we were convinced the horses would bolt.
Luckily our field overlooks an airport so our own horses are quite used to aircraft. During the recent airshow they had enormous jets and bombers going right over their heads and didn't turn a hair but we still wouldn't risk riding them with all that going on.
Anyway, there is apparently a helpline that you can ring to get information about when aircraft will be doing low-flying exercises. Information here:- http://www.bhs.org.uk/About_Us/Campaigns/Safety/Low_Flying_Aircraft.aspx