Stirrup leather question

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's a while since I bought any new stirrup leathers, but I now need some new ones. I like the leather wrapped over a nylon core version as they don't stretch much.

There is a new design of plated metal attachment to the buckle out now, rather than stitched, that is supposed to be less bulky.

It looks slightly weird to me when on the saddle, but if it's equally as strong as stitched leather but less bulky then that's good, isn't it? Anyone got these? I've only looked at two makes so far (Sabre and Henry James) and they both just do this version. Anything not to like about this design apart from aesthetics?

78C4B5DA-60B1-4CB0-9448-FFF76F7AB2E0.jpeg

DB9BA01F-FB21-4799-98B8-C3A79E1A1F0D.jpeg

Melody Grey

Visit site
My son has a cheaper version of these from Decathlon, though I think (and hope for when I need new ones) that they also do adult sizes? He’s had them for about 5 yrs and still like new condition- lovely and supple and nicely made.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I use T-bars on a treed GP...

I do wonder about jumping in them though but I don't know if I've just got my wires crossed somewhere with that. I don't really jump so it's not an issue.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
When I had horses that still entertained such ideas I used t bar leathers for fast work and jumping. Like anything you need to keep an eye on the condition of them but I found them totally suitable. I use wow ones as they are sold in 2" increments so you can get the perfect size. I like the t bar to be close to the stirrup so it doesn't rub anything.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Not much choice in leather over a nylon core in T bar leathers, but Stubben do them. Is this design likely to work? Is the lower buckle going to rub my boot/half chap, or the horse?

2EB17A32-E025-45D8-9FB1-62A8308EC6F9.jpeg

I've never seen or ridden in T bar leathers before, so this is all new to me :).

Auslander

Visit site
I like T-bars for schooling/sensible hacking - but I went off mine a bit after an incident where I needed to hoick my stirrups up fast to save my own ass when Alf started throwing shapes in the middle of Chobham Comman! You have to take your feet out of the stirrups and bring the stirrup to you to lengthen/shorten them, which wasn't a lot of fun whilst he was bouncing around!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I would be careful about t bars after the ones I had came out when I lifted my leg forward to avoid a branch and the holes stretched after about 18 months of light use. They were fairly expensive Jeffries ones with a core. I've got traditional ones that are 15 years old with no stretching and have only just had to have some stitching redone.

Shizzle

Visit site
I will only ride in this type with a plate if not riding in t-bar (my only issue with t bar is running stirrups up, it annoys me that it's awkward). There is a big difference in the bulk from the buckle to the bulk from the flat plate.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I didn’t get on with t bars. When I had my stirrups at the right length the buckle pressed against my shin.
that's why i buy the wow ones, as they are sold in 2" increments and the holes go right to the bottom of the leathers,you can buy the perfect size for you. i have them so that the t bar is just above the stirrup and hangs in the gap between flap and iron. You can see where the slip cover is over the top of the T bar in this photo.

277231548_5339879579356842_9151075048929628866_n.jpg

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’m disappointed with my Amerigo nylon core leathers as the calfskin has started to wear away in areas after about 18 months. My previous pair came with the saddle when I bought my horse and I replaced them after a couple of years as they were already tatty and worn so I treated myself to some new ones.

Bluewaves

Visit site
I have the Henry James leathers. I only noticed i had the plate attachment when i read your post and thought oh that's what that is!

They are about two years old though and definitely have stretched.

The stirrup leather is still soft, but they look well worn now.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Not much choice in leather over a nylon core in T bar leathers, but Stubben do them. Is this design likely to work? Is the lower buckle going to rub my boot/half chap, or the horse?

View attachment 89648

I've never seen or ridden in T bar leathers before, so this is all new to me :).

They aren't t bars they are Conway buckles and they are a buxxer to adjust!

Webbing core t bars are sold by wow, bridle boutique on ebay (cheap, stiff but very usable, Jeffrey's, EE and others.

Skib

sites.google.com
My Amerigo stitched leathers are still good after 11 years. I had the previous pair 8 years but then lost one. My current pair have been used twice a week on my shares or RS horses and are fitted to the saddle at random, right and left. But between rides, I keep them hanging up straight on the back of the cellar door, and put leather balsam on them almost every time they are used.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My Amerigo stitched leathers are still good after 11 years. I had the previous pair 8 years but then lost one. My current pair have been used twice a week on my shares or RS horses and are fitted to the saddle at random, right and left. But between rides, I keep them hanging up straight on the back of the cellar door, and put leather balsam on them almost every time they are used.

I use mine 5-6 days a week and do a lot of long hacks as well as schooling so they do I get a lot of wear and I’m not as diligent as you are re care. They’re still functional though.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Hadn't thought of looking at T bar stirrup leathers. Are they only suitable for dressage saddles, or am I imagining that?

No, the T is too risky to load with a rider's weight landing over a jump.

They aren't t bars they are Conway buckles and they are a buxxer to adjust!

Great to see conway buckles still being used, I used to have some from Baines. Once you get used to them, and they soften, they're really not that hard to adjust. Brilliant things.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I am clearly bring exceptionally thick, but I can't even work out how proper t bar stirrup leathers work in practice. I must say that the design principle doesn't look at all robust to me, I'm going to stick to conventional leathers with a nylon core, I think. I'm probably sufficiently well padded that I don't find them uncomfortable in use :)!

This H&H piece lists and illustrates the Jeffries and the Wow t bar leathers at the end.

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/buy...ers-to-add-to-your-christmas-wish-list-520438

Thanks for all the comments, folks. I had no idea that there were all these alternative options to conventional leathers.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Rather them than me and certainly won't make me recommend them to my jump customers o_O!

I agree. They can go from 100% to nothing in the blink of an eye with only one tiny strip of metal holding things together. I used to hunt with buckled leathers with the buckle down by the stirrup, I wouldn't have trusted a t bar over big fences. I've had metal stirrups snap twice while riding, never mind that tiny thing!