Stirrups for dressage

Matafleur

Visit site
So, it's nearly time for Badminton shopping and I fancy some new stirrups on my dressage saddle. I just have plain fillis irons on there at the moment and Spenger Bow Balance on my jump saddle.

I would really like some much lighter, more modern stirrups, if they have a safety aspect then even better. Please give me your recommendations!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I've recently swapped my bow balance stirrups for acavello opera stirrups and have been amazed at what a difference they've made to my leg position.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Sorry just seen your reply. Definitely lighter than the bow balance and a darn sight cheaper too...I actually sold my bows to buy the operas and still had change left over.

It feels weird to describe a stirrup as comfy but that's just what they are. I can't imagine riding in anything else now.

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
I have Jins on my dressage saddle and Acavallo Opera on my jump saddle (and also dressage saddle for my husbands horse as i ride him during the week). I really like both of them! Opera's a bit lighter and obviously set at the right angle, but i find the Jins sit nicely anyway and give a nice grip.

Sophire

Visit site
I'm also saving for a pair of Jins to go on my new dressage saddle. I'm fully ready to immerse myself in 'all the gear, no idea' mode, I've done it very well in the past!

ihatework

Visit site
*IHW needs to investigate if spending £££££ on fancy stirrups will improve her riding*

I currently ride in bog standard cheapo flexi irons purchased for under £20 from eBay many years ago

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
*IHW needs to investigate if spending £££££ on fancy stirrups will improve her riding*

depends on the individual I suspect :wink3:
Flexi stirrups are my nemesis, spendy ones or cheap ones - I have unstable ankles and i lose control of my feet :D

I like a wide flat tread so the modern ali stirrups are ideal for me and were a good upgrade in comfort and effectiveness from normal fillis irons. I had some cheaper ones to try the concept but later swapped to Jins as the grip is better on my leather soled boots.

I've had to go back to standard stirrups for our introduction to showing and OMG those horrible little rubber tread things that are higher in the middle rather than flat all over... PAIN. I hate them!

monte1

Visit site

I currently ride in bog standard cheapo flexi irons purchased for under £20 from eBay many years ago

I think I am in your camp IHW.......... I ride in exactly the same :)
but feel maybe I should start checking under the rubber to make sure the chain links are OK !!
or of course invest in fancy new ones ...lol

LeannePip

Visit site

Same here on my dressage saddle and then 15pound plastic/ cheesegrater on my jump saddle!

monte1

Visit site
Same here on my dressage saddle and then 15pound plastic/ cheesegrater on my jump saddle!

LeannePip, do you find the cheesegrater ones are better for jumping ?
I only ask as occasionally in wet weather I find my boots slip on my stirrup treads and wondered if the wider grippy tread might help ?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Wide grippy tread are definitely better for keeping your stirrups, we have cheapy ones on the jump saddle and Acavallo Opera ones on my dressage saddle. We got the wide cheesegrater ones to hunt Topaz in, and they made a huge difference on the rampaging pogostick horse out hunting, for not loosing a stirrup and also being able to quickly get them back.

I will probably get the Acavallo Opera ones for Skylla's saddle too as I love the offset eye, I was always turning my stirrups leathers the wrong way before :eek:.

Can't justify the price of Jins to compare.

LeannePip

Visit site
LeannePip, do you find the cheesegrater ones are better for jumping ?
I only ask as occasionally in wet weather I find my boots slip on my stirrup treads and wondered if the wider grippy tread might help ?

Yes by far! initially i used standard stirrups then when i started doing fast work with my last horse i'd be crippled after; knees and ankles all seized so i swapped to some cheap flexi stirrups and that fixed that.

Then with Ruby as a young horse, like you say, if it was wet my feet would slip out al the time, and if it was wet i couldn't put as much weight in my stirrups as i wanted (to try and stay on!) which worried me.

Then i swapped to these ones and they are great! don't even think about them slipping any more: http://www.gsequestrian.co.uk/shire...=14&fep=4374&gclid=CO__heL_stMCFfEA0wodx7oGyw They also don't hurt my knees/ ankles either, i think maybe because the tread is wider so gives a better base for your foot?

monte1

Visit site
Yes by far! initially i used standard stirrups then when i started doing fast work with my last horse i'd be crippled after; knees and ankles all seized so i swapped to some cheap flexi stirrups and that fixed that.

Then with Ruby as a young horse, like you say, if it was wet my feet would slip out al the time, and if it was wet i couldn't put as much weight in my stirrups as i wanted (to try and stay on!) which worried me.

Then i swapped to these ones and they are great! don't even think about them slipping any more: http://www.gsequestrian.co.uk/shire...=14&fep=4374&gclid=CO__heL_stMCFfEA0wodx7oGyw They also don't hurt my knees/ ankles either, i think maybe because the tread is wider so gives a better base for your foot?

Fab, thank you, yes exactly the same for me, re foot slipping out of stirrups, think i will have to do a spot of online lunchtime shopping :)

Matafleur

Visit site
That's it, I am defo going for the Opera, I might even sell by sprengers and get 2 pairs ��. Horse is (hopefully) coming back into work after the ks op so I *need* them to cheer me up. And surely they will make me ride better?!?!