Stirrups

Auslander

Visit site
Sorry - no amusing pics/stories on this one!
I've realised why my feet/ankles hurt after a long ride - I have issues with supination (ankles rolling outwards) when I run, and am forever going over on my ankles whilst walking - and I noticed yesterday that my ankles are rolling outwards while I ride as well. I'm aware there's a weakness there, which I have to sort out, but I'm wondering if there are any magical stirrups out there which can help in the interim?
Anyone got any bright ideas?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
what stirrups do you use currently?

I have very unstable ankles (hypermobile) and wide footbed stirrups help me - I have Jins but there are cheaper alternatives. flexi stirrups make it worse. I'm interested to try some flex ons though as everyone raves about them, think there are hire places.

Reactions: TPO

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I like Icelandic style stirrups that have the attachments for the leather at 90 degrees to the stirrup bed. I use the Heather Moffat ones because they have a nice wide (and angled?? Not sure) footbed too. We have some others in similar style, Sprengers I think, not as wide in the footbed. Don't have ankle problems particularly but did find that I got ankle aches after longer rides in standard stirrups but never in these ones.

spacefaer

Visit site
Angled treads?
Thoroughly recommend kinesiology tape for ankle support. When I sprained my ankle last year, I could barely walk without K-tape; but could ride with it.

Scarlett

Visit site
Have you seen the wide footbed composite ones? They have a sprung tread to offer some shock absorption too.

I damaged my ankle ligaments last summer and couldnt ride for months. In a normal stirrup my ankle feels weak and insecure, in my composite ones it feels fine. I've ridden in them for a few years as I have a dodgy knee and love them.

Bonus that they are plain looking and under £30 too!

Just looked and now sold in the UK by Shires - https://www.shiresequestrian.com/compositi-reflex-stirrups-21443

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I use Raddery Flexi Ride. I have the caged version but they come without cages too.

I found Springer stirrups hurt my knee so much I could barely do rising trot. Now I'm back riding out for hours including lots of trotting without so much as a twinge.

Griffin

Visit site
Like Red-1, I wear orthotics in my riding boots. I also use Icelandic stirrups (Kramer do very cheap ones), which seem to help.

In terms of sorting out your ankles for running, it is worth trying Anatomy In Motion.

Auslander

Visit site
In terms of sorting out your ankles for running, it is worth trying Anatomy In Motion.

I'd kinda figured that running was a dangerous activity that should be avoided - in favour of eating lots of cake, and weighing myself down sufficiently to push lots of weight equally through both sides of my ankles, thus avoiding any rolling. Genius, huh?

Griffin

Visit site
I'd kinda figured that running was a dangerous activity that should be avoided - in favour of eating lots of cake, and weighing myself down sufficiently to push lots of weight equally through both sides of my ankles, thus avoiding any rolling. Genius, huh?

Ha ha ha! Sorry, my bad, I thought you liked running ;-) Definitely go with your theory, running is best avoided at all times I find.

AFB

Visit site
I have Jins & whilst I don't have any pain related issues, I find the wider foot bed has helped my lower leg stability massively so I can see how this would reduce pain.

I have ridden in (cheap - not Sprenger) flexi stirrups and I hated them - found more discomfort from them than my old bent leg irons.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
I have one week ankle which is quite unstable. I use anatomical jins (wide footbed and angled) and find them good. Ankle is more stable riding with them than walking on the ground

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Angled stirrups that tip inwards? If you get extra long leathers, then knot them, would that work to tip them towards the horse? A mate has ripped the ligaments that wrap round the foot/ankle and partially ruptured her Achilles, I’d love to know if that would work for her.