Stirrups?

soph15

Visit site
So I’ve only ever had my regular stirrups my whole life, plain boring stainless steel with black treads absolutely nothing special about them.

When I go out competing I can’t help but notice everyone else’s stirrups seem far more fancier and modern ? I went to trial a horse and found the stirrups had these fancy spikes in the tread and all sorts?

So as I’ve got a bit of spending money, are these new modern stirrups worth it, do they do something special that makes a difference to the normal ones etc?

And if so, what are the best stirrups out there and what makes them the best?

Thanks in advance ?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Different stirrups suit different people. What sort of positional/discomfort issues do you have? Do you have friends with stirrups you could borrow? They're so expensive that trialling some is always a good idea, I love 90 degree stirrups but hate bendy hinges that so many love, as an example.

Roxylola

Visit site
I've never been a fan of lightweight stirrups, but after I had a sit on a friend's horse and used her acavallo operas I went out and bought a set, they just feel really nice and secure, they aren't hugely expensive but there is a noticeable difference I'm comfort etc

HeyMich

Visit site
I have bog standard bent leg irons, cost me about £20 15 years ago. My son, however, has the Acavallo AluPro safety stirrups (he does a lot of jumping, and therefore a lot of falling off!) and I must admit, they are brilliant. Really grippy, lightweight, secure and safe. I'm putting a pair on my birthday/xmas list...

Last edited:

scruffyponies

Visit site
The only ones I actively dislike are Peacock 'safety' stirrups with the rubber sides. The rubbers ping off and get lost, and they are just as likely to trap and drag as any other... indeed they were responsible for the one drag incident we have ever had.

Slight preference for bent leg, which you can kick on and off more easily and I'm not keen on the feel of anything with flexible sides, as they don't sit as still under your foot.

That said, I ride in several different types all the time (different saddles, different ponies) and barely notice the difference.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
agree that it's best to trial different types to see what suits you.
i can't get on with anything that bends or moves, it adds instability to my hypermobile joints. I like a wide flat footbed and medium weight stirrups so I like Jins.

Coblover63

Visit site
I've never been a fan of lightweight stirrups either but a friend recommended the Compositi Reflexes and I now wouldn't have anything else. I love the wide footbed and they have a bit of "suspension" to them.

asmp

Visit site
I have bog standard bent leg irons, cost me about £20 15 years ago. My son, however, has the Acavallo AluPro safety stirrups (he does a lot of jumping, and therefore a lot of falling off!) and I must admit, they are brilliant. Really grippy, lightweight, secure and safe. I'm putting a pair on my birthday/xmas list...
I have these and have also just bought some for my daughter’s birthday.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I love love love my Acavallo alupros. Not too heavy but not too lightweight either. Big flat tread that’s not too grippy, and obviously the safety aspect of them.

9tails

Visit site
All my saddles have Acavallo Opera stirrups on them. Being an older bird with all the aches and pains that age brings with it, I can do a long ride and get off without my knees and hips collapsing. They're, IME, better than Sprenger Bow Balance. At around £85, they're very much at the lower price spectrum of fancy stirrups.

Cowpony

Visit site
I love my Flex-ons. If you have any knee issues they are brilliant, and the angled footbed means they are easier to keep on your feet and put your foot at the right angle. But......a friend who rode in them and had an ankle problem found them very painful, so it just depends what your issue is, as others have said.

Widgeon

Visit site
I've never been a fan of lightweight stirrups either but a friend recommended the Compositi Reflexes and I now wouldn't have anything else. I love the wide footbed and they have a bit of "suspension" to them.

Yes I like these, they have a bit of give in them so my ankles don't get sore out hacking, and you can pick them up second hand for about £10. Both excellent points in their favour! But to be honest I wouldn't start spending money on new stirrups unless you have a specific problem that might be resolved by changing them (but then I am cheap)

Tihamandturkey

Visit site

I have these too and find them great for my old bones ?

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
I have Acavallo Arena. I love them- I never lose my stirrups, they have a releasing safety arm and come in a few nice colours so look nice enough to wear for dressage/shows. They are light without being too lightweight. If I ride a friends horse a notice the difference not having my stirrups. Totally horses for courses as everyone has said; work out what’s important for you then find the best stirrups to meet your criteria

muddybay

Visit site
Just got some acavallo arenas and I'm in love with them already feel a lot more secure I had the cheap compositis before which were a bit too lightweight for me!

ApolloStorm

Visit site
Being a bit creaky with a few aches and pains! I can't ride in bog standard fillis irons for more than 15 mins before I have to get off!
Also not a fan on anything 'bendy' at the sides. I have the Reflexes as above- nice wide footbed, grippy but doesnt superglue your foot like some can, and a bit of give in the footbed, for £25 I couldnt fault them! Though I think my next purchase might be some avocallo operas as they seem to get rave reviews!
Dislike freejumps with a passion- theyve been known to snap and the big spikes in the footbed dont appeal!