Stopping Diy...any yard owners out there?

Equi

Visit site
It all depends what you yourself want to do or have the time to do. My yard is DIY if you want but literally noone does it, they take the YO up on the offer of bringin/turnout service and full days now and then. The whole yard is on the same routine everyone gets fed at the same time and the horses find it very settling. Because its the routine the YO has put in place, we all follow it when shes off and at weekends etc so it is much less confusing for everyone. You just have to leave your feed and net out and be okay with the occasional mistake from a newb.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
MP - i think perhaps I was just trying to say that like minded people with similar outlooks will probably get along better. One of the problems I have had as a DIYer with 2 native ponies, was trying to fit in to yards which were geared up to manage competition type horses; horses that could eat anything and never get fat, that didn't like to be out in bad weather, that needed layers of rugs etc. Everyone looking after their horses and ponies correctly, but in their own ways and with very different needs and requirements. I think it is quite hard to either allow for the two different management styles on the same yard, or to come up with a compromise that works for both parties.
I think that depends on the freedom permitted to do individual management tbh. I totally appreciate what you're saying- I have 2 very different horses at the moment and one of the reasons I'm looking to move them is because the welsh does too well on the YO imposed management and the TB doesn't do well enough.
When I've had "normal" DIY where you can choose how you manage your field to a greater degree, I've been able to keep different horses to their individual needs. I'd give the welsh less grass and the TB more, for instance. but we don't get to choose where I am :rolleyes:
FWIW we are a mixed yard, there's some virtually retired, some competition (dressage and eventing) and some RC types and the type of person doesn't seem to be an issue but the YO's one size fits all approach definitely is! ;)

eta. maybe its easier for me to suit mine on DIY because I have more than one so I can do my own regime without having to depend on other people to provide company for them.

Reactions: TPO

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
A place up the road from me has fenced off a field for dog walking. She rents it out for £10 an hour. It has a combination lock on it which she changes the code on frequently. Its completely secure so perfect for training your dog to be off the lead or gun dog training etc.

You could get some sheep to graze your extra grass down or rent to a local farmer or like you say offer full or part livery.

a friend of mine turned their 7 acres into enclosed fields for dogs, and a agility field . She makes more money by far. She has now applied for PP for doggy day care

Gingerwitch

Visit site
What is it about people thinking that renting stabling and grazing entities them to invite everyone they've ever met to come and traips through the place? The idea of throwing parties at the yard is taking that a step further!
I just think it's people in general these days, some of the full liveries I have met in my past treat the stable staff like something they have walked in, only on Friday one was berating the youngest stable hand as Neddy had lost her fly mask and although it was next to water trough about 23 steps away she wanted the her to go and fetch it. Poor kid had two rather techy horses to deal with who wanted out of the fly's it was in the high 20`s low 30's. I just could not believe the attitude it was crap and owner declared but my horse IS a full livery horse do you need to fetch the mask. The conversation took longer than the fetching of the mask.
I actually really like people and like having people around. I’m also lucky to have my facilities and happy to share them. Even if I kept my good ones, I still have lots of grass.
I’m very clear about the rules and have specified the bleeding obvious in the contract ie horses must be led by a headcollar or bridle round the yard. This type of ‘rule’ is in there coz I’ve had to enforce it in the past!
OMG...... Can't Neddy just wonder around the yard deciding on what stable she wants like some weird Feng Shui ? And what is the issue if a owner wants a lie in until 2pm and cone down to bring in whilst half cut at 11pm because she was too busy earlier - Christmas day is the best for this one ! Lol ?

TPO

Visit site
a friend of mine turned their 7 acres into enclosed fields for dogs, and a agility field . She makes more money by far. She has now applied for PP for doggy day care

I know someone else who has done this too. It's so successful theyve made a second enclosed field with jumps and obstacles.

They weren't a livery, just their own place with too much grazing for their ponies.

I cant believe how busy it is, theres constantly people in them.

They have invested money into it and each field has a shelter, internal parking spaces on hard standing and picnic benches plus the new field has all the obstacles. The fences are all really high and fully enclosed. But yeah...much easier than DIY I reckon!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
There is a lady who runs a DIY livery locally who is well known for periodically declaring she is closing so everyone out in x amount of time. Then a while after the deadline when folk have moved on she restarts...or rather it is discovered that one or two have remained and others join them. Ive never heard anyone “bad mouth” or avoid the place...it seems to be an accepted eccentricity. Perhaps you could do the same?

Reactions: TPO

Translationsneeded

Visit site
I like that idea midlife... I am worried about local reputation. Some of the boll0ck excuses I hear from them I would definitely think they would lie!
Loving the idea of dog agility!
I think people are right... it’s the entitledness of it all.