Storm Ciara - What are you doing with horses?

joelb

Visit site
Over-thinking horribly so wondering what others do management wise, do you just follow normal routine?

For my area the worst of the storm looks to be Sunday daytime and local stuff is starting to get cancelled. I'm inclined to stable as it feels safer but my one mare will struggle as she's not happy stabled. She lives out 24/7 as ulcer history in previous home so I'm cautious about stressing her. She's my first live out horse so I'm struggling - head says she's 8 and seen it all before, heart says catch in for day while worst passes. My other mare will relish a duvet day and more likely to react outside so I prefer her in. Praying wfc will improve between now and then as it looks worst we've had for a while.

Hillpark

Visit site
I'm keeping mine in their normal routine. They will be out during the day and in and night, although I've got stable cameras to keep an eye on them which helps.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Mine will be out in the day but in on the worst nights they are not a lover of wind and rain and I don't have a proper shelter so don't want them just standing in it all night as they will be miserable.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
mine will be on their normal routines. 2 go out in the mornings and are in the rest of the time and 3 live out.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I hate this but mine will have to be on so I'm stressing about getting him enough of a leg stretch to keep me happy. I've no doubt he'll cope but I really hate him being confined. We have smallish fields with limited grass and he wouldn't cope (he's a diva who apparently is in danger of melting if it's rain and wind). We're forecast 60mph gusts so if it's not safe to be outside due to the risk of flying debris then he's just going to have to cope. As will I.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Its currently alleged to be hitting here from 4am Sunday, so mine will all be out as too many big trees by the yard.
Winds not supposed to drop till v late Sunday evening, so they will stay out.....

If fields sodden on Monday eve, then they can all come in that evening to dry out a bit :)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
He is usually in in the day and out at night, I will likely keep him in overnight if it looks vile but I will play it by ear.

If it's windy and rainy I practically have to wrestle him and his field mate out to the field, so it's nicer for them to stay where they are. One night here and there won't hurt them.

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Mine are at home with me, so decisions don't have to be made until the very last minute; I have fields I can put them which are a bit of a trek from the house, but I shall bung the beasties up near the dwelling so I can get them in if needs be.

The last time we had a storm, there was about ten minutes of torrential hailstones with it; my two were inside (under a tin roof!), and my little youngster - who is in every other way totally bombproof - stressed about the racket of it, it was deafening! Even though she had her pairbond in the stable right next door to her, I was worried at one point that she might be about to jump over the door, so my aim would be to keep them out if at all possible for this reason alone.

Bleddi weather; my fields were just beginning to dry up :(

SEL

Visit site
I'm planning on turning out in the morning as normal but keeping a close eye in case trees come down. If fencing is broken then they can escape into roads.

The woolly one will be treated to his rainsheet.

SamBean

Visit site
Keeping them in their normal routine - I have a small enclosed yard in front of my stables to their field so will leave stable doors and gate open so they can choose where they prefer to be.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Staying out as normal. The only difference is I will open up the hay fields so they can come into the barn if they want to, but its extremely unlikely they will.

southerncomfort

Visit site
We are on a hill with only dry stone walls for protection plus a field shelter they refuse to use. ?

We are forecast 70 to 80mph wind and heavy rain so I think my two will have to come in. The older mare doesn't like rain at the best of times bless her.

oldie48

Visit site
We are due to have heavy rain and very high winds all day on Sunday. Rose will hate being out and I suspect will be pretty lit up to bring in, so I'll keep both of mine in for the day. As long as they have plenty of hay they will be quite happy. We were also starting to dry up quite nicely!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ours
Its currently alleged to be hitting here from 4am Sunday, so mine will all be out as too many big trees by the yard.
Winds not supposed to drop till v late Sunday evening, so they will stay out.....

If fields sodden on Monday eve, then they can all come in that evening to dry out a bit :)

Ours are at home and we are very exposed at the top of the Pennines. They will probably go out for a leg stretch while we muck out and set fair, then cme back in depending on the weather at the time. oUr 'trash paddock' is electic fenced and in high winds that isn't as safe as it could be, so we don't like to leave them in it unattended in high winds, depending on the direction.

wiglet

Visit site
My yard is normally out for the day and in at night - I have a feeling they will go out as normal while all the stables are sorted then they will be brought in around lunchtime which will give them a nice leg stretch then in to eat haylage. Don't think they'll mind too much!

holeymoley

Visit site
Well I was supposed to be moving yard but that’s out the game. Mine will be having the most of Saturday out and then in overnight Saturday and all day Sunday. We’re not unused to string winds but this sounds ghastly.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have as precaution got Sky the newest horse into another paddock this week this is safest paddock in wind as it has no electric fencing dividing the field anywhere just running around the fence to the inside of the boundary hedges it’s also the most settled field for the wind direction predicted.
Sky has never been in that paddock so I have had him in there for the last two days .
i don’t think we will get the worst of this storm I will turn out in the morning into the safe paddock and catch up as soon as things get blowy .

Floofball

Visit site
I’m on top of a hill very exposed and it’s actually quite dangerous in winds that strong trying to open and close stable doors. No point putting hay out for them in the woodchip turnout as it will just fly away so best case scenario is for them to get out morning and teatime for a leg stretch but they will be staying in if it’s as bad as predicted ?

Sprat

Visit site
Normal routine for us, but it really depends on the other liveries and whether they turn out or not, she won't go out alone

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Carry on as normal really, the exception being if we had a storm like the one of 1987 in which millions of trees were uprooted. Our fields have mature hedges which withstand windy weather. It's always a good idea to check fencing in case the horses are spooked. I remember finding several dead and dying horses on a country road during a storm one night which is why I'd never keep horses on a yard with poor fencing.

Louby

Visit site
My girls in a decent sized but electric fenced off area in the field as part of her rehabilitation from an injury. I am worried about the fencing so she will go out whilst I do my jobs and see how bad it is. She wont thank me if she has to spend most of the day in but I cant risk the fencing in high winds.

windand rain

Visit site
mine live out but if they didnt they would be in high winds less likelyhood of them being trapped or their shelter blowing down/away and injuring them. Do worry about the fencing but hopefully the post and rail ring fence will survive if the electric doesnt

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Over-thinking horribly so wondering what others do management wise, do you just follow normal routine?

For my area the worst of the storm looks to be Sunday daytime and local stuff is starting to get cancelled. I'm inclined to stable as it feels safer but my one mare will struggle as she's not happy stabled. She lives out 24/7 as ulcer history in previous home so I'm cautious about stressing her. She's my first live out horse so I'm struggling - head says she's 8 and seen it all before, heart says catch in for day while worst passes. My other mare will relish a duvet day and more likely to react outside so I prefer her in. Praying wfc will improve between now and then as it looks worst we've had for a while.

If she’s not happy being in, leave her out. She’ll be fine.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Mine live out, I would like to think they’ll avoid the highest trees but hey who knows! Tbh I’m more worried about our home which has mature, tall oak and ash on two sides - wind is coming from the normal direction so I’m hopeful we will be okay. I might move both cars into the middle of a field away from trees. OH has been instructed to get a new chain for the chainsaw in the morning.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Mine will be in. We have absolutely no shelter in the field they are in and leading them to and from the field across a road and bridge will be near on impossible in those winds (well safely anyway) they have an all weather turnout by the yard they can use both ends of the day for a couple of hours.