storm doris

Wheels

Visit site
Mine are the same as always - they are out with access to their stables but I tend to find on windy days their stables are the last places they want to be! They prefer to stand next to the hedge with the most shelter

Antw23uk

Visit site
Mine would love a duvet day!

Wimpy creatures.

How do you know? How have you tested it? (genuinely asking not trying to 'prove' anything) :)

My old TB would have gone out, scared the life out of himself, hoolied round for ten minutes and then probably demanded to come back in for the day, lol :)

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I wonder how many horses given the option would actually stay in there stables during this weather?

I have one who would adore to stay in, she's fine coated and absolutely HATES the cold and wet, we have to be careful in the rain that she doesn't whip round at the gate to bring herself back in :eek:. However she also won't tolerate being on her own!

The other two will be happy to go out :).

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
How do you know? How have you tested it? (genuinely asking not trying to 'prove' anything) :)

My old TB would have gone out, scared the life out of himself, hoolied round for ten minutes and then probably demanded to come back in for the day, lol :)

Nugz tried to get back in - put the rope over his neck while I shut the door like I always do when he's been in, and he tried to reverse back into his stable when he got pelted with the driving rain. It was particularly biblical this morning. He didn't even have any edible food left in his stable, so I know he was definitely wanting in for the weather :D

Merrymoles

Visit site
Ours went out for an hour while we mucked out and then came back in. It's not so much the wind itself as the fact that we tend to get other people's debris blowing round our fields and that there is a decidedly iffy and large tree on the bridge which is the only route to our grazing.

The old boy was on the phone to WHW when I turned him out with no breakfast or field haylage but they came back in to buckets and full nets and are all settled and happy. We do vary their routine a bit from time to time, just to ensure that if they do have to stay in for any reason (eg injury) none of them stresses.

In a different location, I'd have left mine out but we all have to make judgements based on our own circumstances.

Ben2684

Visit site
I have one out 24/7 and one that comes in at night, he was rather keen to be out this morning really, until that is as I was putting hay out in the dark I heard an almighty racket... the neighbours pole and plastic green house careening across the field at high speed, scared them a bit but once I had retrieved it and put it somewhere safe out of the wind (not a small feat I can tell you) and checked the fencing they were happily munching hay. Thankfully they have a field shelter they can either stand in (they don't seem to like it inside it when it is windy) or next to/behind to get out of the wind. may come in an hour early but I'll see what they are like when I get there, sun is out and wind seems to have died a bit thankfully

southerncomfort

Visit site
My girls live out and were quite happy. V had a trot across the field when a branch came down in a neighbouring garden but that was it.

I'm not so happy though 'cos I've lost a panel off my greenhouse. :( :( Moved all my plants and seedlings to the lower shelves and hope they'll be ok until OH comes home to carry out repairs.

Fiona

Visit site
My two horses are having a duvet day too, and pony came in for her breakfast. I'll put her out in a bit.

I bet out local forest will be closed too.. Might go to the beach to see the waves...

Fiona

horsesforcourses

Visit site
Was supposed to have gone jumping today......but much too windy to take trailer out. Think horse is worth more than the £20 paid in advance.
They are now having a day in, as huge OLD trees around their field. If it calms down this afternoon, they might get to go out then.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have two ladeez who make their feelings perfectly clear! Usually out is fine, but when I brought them in to their stables this morning to feed as usual, I had found them in one of their field shelters hollering for room service, with just their noses peering out. So it's in for the day for them with ad lib soaked hay, and very snug and contented they look, too.

Also, I am still strip grazing them on foggage and the temporary fence line is in the most exposed part of the field, and the white posts and tape/string are bending over alarmingly.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Power keeps threatening to go here, typical I want to clip one, best not start as might end up with one needing a cardigan to got out.

My old boy is stood on his mound looking rather noble and naughty. He can get into his house if he wants to. The girls are in as their field has a lot of old oaks in the fence line and knowing my luck something will come down on the fence and the girls will be off shopping somewhere. Boys are out in a safe field.

paddi22

Visit site
I wonder how many horses given the option would actually stay in there stables during this weather?

i've 5 here the moment and they can choose stables or field and they are all out, even the mini and foal. they seem happy enough huddling under a tree with hay. Sometimes i think the noise of debris and stuff hitting the stable roof upsets them more, and they just prefer outside.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

One of mine does, the other doesn't. but even the one who likes to be out chooses to come in for a weather break.

I don't get the 'must be out at all costs' mentality but then I have a great set up for what they are inside.

Steerpike

Visit site
Mine are all in today, we are on top of a hill and there is no shelter in my fields and not much grass, I left them happily eating a net this morning!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Mine is in today. I'd have been happy for him to go out as he's sensible in wIndia & rain was only forecast this morning (it was torrential earlier on though), but being on a livery yard I'm reliant on YM & other liveries turning out & no-one did today. I can't complain as this is literally the third or fourth day they've been in all winter and it is incredibly, incredibly windy here.

I rode yesterday & horse will be fine having a stable day.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Mine hate high winds & end up charging around the paddocks getting really unsettled & chop up the fields so they are staying in. As long as they have plenty of hay they aren't bothered whether they are in or out.

Pippity

Visit site
Not much shelter in my yard's fields, so owner has kept them all in today. My share horse can be a bit of a wally, so I'm happy with the decision.

I've cancelled my 4pm lesson, though!

Hexx

Visit site
My old boy used to let himself in if he felt the weather was too "inclement"! He would either open the gate or if it was tied up, jump it, come back onto the yard and stand outside his box banging the door to be let in!

It wasn't worth putting him back out as he would just repeat his actions and come in again!

The Snowman

Visit site
Ours are having a duvet day today... didn't want to risk our lot getting injured from running about/tree branches/fencing coming down.. plus trying to turn out and bring in! Ponies aren't bothered, quite happy in the warm and dry!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

Mine! The Draft mare once sideswiped me with her bum in the field gateway and legged it back into her stable on a very wet day.
We are very exposed with very little shelter, just drystone walls. Next door's pair are shoving each other about trying to get as far into the holly bush as possible but they live out 24/7, most of the other local horses are in today. My cob mare is looking over her stable door from well back inside - and the yard is much more sheltered than the fields as it is built in a square.
We have electric fencing inside the walls and it looks as if we will have to pick it up before they go out tomorrow!

Last edited: