Storms. Horses in or out.

Sandstone1

Visit site
With the forecast storms in the next few days, are horses better in or out. Friday is looking pretty bad. Amber warning at moment which could change to red according to weather forecast just now.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
they're out right now but the field will flood given the rain we've had over the past week -there's high ground for them that will not flood but I feel bad for them. If I get the chance, I may bring them home to dry out a bit at the weekend as they've scarcely had a chance to in over a week.It is getting pretty gnarly out there right now.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Mine are out unless heavy rain, I prefer them out in the winds as I feel it’s more risky to be in a building than out in the paddock no trees nearby good safe fenced paddocks so will give plenty hay and a strip of grass to keep them happy just hope we can ride it out

Sprig

Visit site
Always out (unless you are next to a busy road and have trees that could fall across your fence). Even then I would probably just section them away from that area with electric.

Burnttoast

Visit site
Mine will be out as usual. One hates being shut up, even in a yard. I normally hay at night in the pole barn in the yard but will hay in the field for the next few nights, just in case anything goes flying... There are no big trees in my fields but I worry about the huge poplars on the other side of the road - the wind is coming from that direction and if one came down it would take out my hedge/fence. Fortunately I can keep them in the far fields.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Mine will be out during day and in at night as normal this time of year. They may come in early or do a half day out if it’s really bad as they’ll probably be silly in the field towards normal bringing in time especially if other horse come in early so would like to avoid injury.

Burnttoast

Visit site
Mine will be out as usual. One hates being shut up, even in a yard. I normally hay at night in the pole barn in the yard but will hay in the field for the next few nights, just in case anything goes flying... There are no big trees in my fields but I worry about the huge poplars on the other side of the road - the wind is coming from that direction and if one came down it would take out my hedge/fence. Fortunately I can keep them in the far fields.

SEL

Visit site
The ones who are normally out (but had to have last night in due to floods) will be out on Friday because their paddock is away from trees. The one on box rest is moving to her big brother's stable for the day because the big ash tree will land on her stable if it topples. There's no obvious risk of it toppling - but then there was no obvious risk of the poplar tree coming down last year until about 5 mins before it did.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Just been to do my horses it is raining heavy but it is very mild and they are quite happily eating the extra strip of grass I have given them one is un - rugged as she is in foal but has a lovely woolly coat and is fine , the other I have put a elastic surcingle around so his rug isn’t blowing open and he feels toasty, and I have made sure everything is moved which the wind could catch so hopefully once this rain passes in about an hour all will be well. Some ot the others are in but the roof slatts on the roof are very unstable so it frightens me that if they came loose it would also take the corner bricks where my stable is so I really think the horses are somewhere in high wind they can move away from danger we have some trees and one came down last week, but the horses are well away from the tree area.

eggs

Visit site
In their usual routine of out during the day and in at night. They did come in early today (2:30) as they were hanging around the gate. I will try to get them out for a few hours on Friday.

Merrymoles

Visit site
We will play it by ear but there is a risk of flying debris from next door so that will play into the decision.

We are a small yard of five. Two would always rather be in and tend to come in earlier than the others, two of the remaining three are on limited grazing and the third doesn't care either way so they will all be fine if they have to stay in for the day.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Yes I have changed from tape to rope as it stays in place better on windy days mine is attached to fixed poles each sides and rope stakes where I strip and stays in place plus it is longways rather than across so wind doesn’t catch it, I have seen tape come adrift and wrap around the horses legs so that’s what made me opt over to rope when I didn’t have any stables to use anyway And they always had to stay out regardless.

I'm Dun

Visit site
out my stables have big and old trees behind them, as well as 3 sides of the paddock being trees. So out as usual with hay in the middle of the field so hopefully they hang out there rather than shelter in the trees!

Griffin

Visit site
Out in the day and in at night. We're fortunate to have very thick hedges surrounding the fields and the stable yard is sheltered.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Ours are in. Too many old Trees round the field perimeters to risk them being out and a tree coming down over them or the fence. Safer in the barn in their stables and all the doors closed.

SEL

Visit site
out my stables have big and old trees behind them, as well as 3 sides of the paddock being trees. So out as usual with hay in the middle of the field so hopefully they hang out there rather than shelter in the trees!
Mine are avoiding the tree line tonight - even the ancient cob has parked himself away from the trees.
My stable block has huge ash trees behind it so safer out esp on Friday when it looks really dangerous around here ?

HashRouge

Visit site
Mine are out today/ tonight as we have high winds but it's dry. They came in overnight yesterday though as it was very wet and windy and my 29 year old doesn't like overly wet weather. My Welsh doesn't like coming in and a few years ago I'd have left them out as they have good natural shelter, but I know the 29 year old would rather be in and I'm very cautious now as she had a bout of sleep deprivation (looks like narcolepsy but isn't) after being out in bad weather last February. She was hurling herself around like a young hooligan today so I'd rather nanny her a bit if it keeps her looking and feeling like that!

wills_91

Visit site
Mine are out. 3 natives, plenty of hay and in a field with no big trees around it. I'd rather they were out in high winds

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I just stick to whatever their usual routine is
Yeah it try generally to stick to routine whatever the weather. I turnout still the same time everyday but will bring in early if it’s awful and they are not settled.
Mine do appear to want to be inside a lot more at the moment.