Straight herbs.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Where would be a good place to buy unmixed herbs for the horses from?

I won't buy from Equimins.

I want to mix up my own magic concoction. ?

Mainly I want them to eat their bliddy tea in a bucket without getting sniffy about the amount if minerals they have to have once the grass starts coming through.

But a sprinkling if magical herbal benefits would make me feel happy too.

Or I might just try the beetroot powder from ForagePlus.

HBB

Visit site
Progressive Earth in Orkney sell straight or blended herbs. Equinatural also do straight herbs and/or will mix you any blend that you want made up to your specification.

Tash88

Visit site
I buy mine from a medical herbalist, she makes up tinctures for whatever I think my horse needs. She does 'off-the-shelf' ones for allergies, inflammation, immune system, calming etc. but I have also gone to her with a problem and she has developed a bespoke tincture. She is brilliant and her remedies really work, although they aren't cheap. If you find a medical herbalist near you (there is a register online) then I don't mind giving you the names of the herbs in my supplements, although I don't know the exact recipe and the herbalist won't give them out, the contents are on the label.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I buy mine from a medical herbalist, she makes up tinctures for whatever I think my horse needs. She does 'off-the-shelf' ones for allergies, inflammation, immune system, calming etc. but I have also gone to her with a problem and she has developed a bespoke tincture. She is brilliant and her remedies really work, although they aren't cheap. If you find a medical herbalist near you (there is a register online) then I don't mind giving you the names of the herbs in my supplements, although I don't know the exact recipe and the herbalist won't give them out, the contents are on the label.

Thanks Tash but really I'm just looking to make their food a bit tastier and only need a coincidental sprinkle of herbal magic rather than hoping to solve any major issues. ?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I think I might go for Fenugreek and Mint for them all to start. But yes I was looking at cleavers and marigold among the other options. Didn't realise it was good for tie ups so I might go that way.

Brownmare

Visit site
I buy a lot of different herbs from Norfolk Feeds on ebay. They sell big sacks of brewers yeast too and all seems good quality and my fussy madam likes them!

maddielove

Visit site
Not straight herbs but I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Dodson and Horrell Hedgerow herbs. I'm currently awaiting results from equibiome and have seen others say that the contents of the D&H herbs contain a lot of what they commonly reccomend for gut and overall health, plus I imagine it's tasty with mint and oregano in it!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
cleavers and marigolds are two of my favourites - especially good for horses which tie up ;)

? Now you've made me think "oh actually I do have issues"... they could both have better skin and MrT could do with some airway support etc etc etc. I'm not sure how many herbs I can afford though! ?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I buy a lot of different herbs from Norfolk Feeds on ebay. They sell big sacks of brewers yeast too and all seems good quality and my fussy madam likes them!

Are they "Horse Herbs UK"? The website was inviting so was wondering if anyone had used them.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I didn't know they had a website but I've just looked and yes, that's them!

Fantastic. I think I might order from there because I think they have all the herbs I would like. I just wish the blends didn't have linseed in because I'm not convinced The Beast can have linseed. But they look really good so I'm glad someone has recommended them without prompting.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Oh bums. Ordered from Horse Herbs but got stung for a Highlands delivery charge that I managed to miss through the whole order process. Which is disappointing because I just feel like the website wasn't as nice and clear as I thought! And their standard order process for us weirdos that live in non-real parts of the world involves emailing them before every order so they can add the delivery charge... which is just completely faff and yawn frankly. So I'm probably going to try somewhere else next time. I only didn't cancel my order because I need something to get my horses eating their feeds enthusiastically ASAP and I've already prevaricated around the issue enough before managing to actually order something!!

PurBee

Visit site
Horses like seaweed....i got a few sacks fresh from the nearest coast for my veg plot soil, and my mare smelt the stuff as soon as i got it out the van, harrassing me to let her look....showed her the sack and her nose dived in munching! I couldnt believe it!

so if you can get some fresh and have a freezer, give it a wash, chop it up in a blender, freeze weeks worth batches in bags...cheap, effective, gives sodium and iodine boost to the diet.
Test your horses like it first - my mare is a pretty trustworthy standard eater and rejects lots of stuff horses shouldnt have, unlike gelding, so what she goes crazy for tends to be good for horses.

I get 25kg sacks of dried seaweed for 25 quid from agricultural online store.

TIP: if looking for anything to do with horses, first look outside the equine market for much better financial deals ?

Visit site
I am currently growing fresh mint to give to mine! Was considering trying to grow some more herbs too and would consider selling some if there was enough interest - you can't get much more natural than freshly grown! ?

NA85ISH

Visit site
Oh i love experimenting with herbs, if anyone is interested www.naturallyequne.com have a really good herbal index, it lists alot of herbs and tells you what they are good for, my favorites so far are bee pollen, burdock and calendula and the horses have always loved having them in their teas
where to buy - as others have said human food chain first, normally i find just ingredients on amazon best priced
Just an FYI - do not get liquorice delievered to your office, it comes in a clear bag of white/beige fine powder from columbia...... we will just leave that there haha