Straight herbs.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think I might go for Fenugreek and Mint for them all to start. But yes I was looking at cleavers and marigold among the other options. Didn't realise it was good for tie ups so I might go that way.

I just got Rigsby some Metaslim from Simple Systems and they sent me some Speramint as a free sample, it smelled so good I could have eaten anything if it had been sprinkled on top. I kept it in the kitchen as a room fragrance for days. Sadly, Rigsby doesn't need encouragement to eat, so I binned it.
Fantastic. I think I might order from there because I think they have all the herbs I would like. I just wish the blends didn't have linseed in because I'm not convinced The Beast can have linseed. But they look really good so I'm glad someone has recommended them without prompting.

Linseed helps Rigsby's coat and isn't contributing indicated by any of his medical conditions, except gluttony - so he has it in moderation.

I do think that mixing a feed with hot water gives it more aroma so makes it palatable.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Oh, I forgot to say, on the advice of a professional, I added vitamin D to Rigsby's diet. I am on a D3 protocol and know that in humans it needs taking with K2, so Rigsby gets that. I did double check with the vet and also a nutritionalist, as well as researching the dose recommended in a research paper.

The vet and nutritionalist had never thought of D deficiency, but both agreed it made sense. The vet OK'ed the dosage I proposed. I will cut it once he has changed his coat and the sun is out for summer.

His mallanders has improved 80% and his skin has lost the scurfy appearance. Cheap as chips too.

He is on a vet E (low quality) supplement too, which comes mixed in a linseed base. Plus salt, and magnesium. His Metaslim also has a spectrum (not D, interestingly) pf vitamin spread, plus cinnamon (which they reckon kick starts the metabolism) but he only gets half dose, because... I also give Formula 4 feet as a hand treat when he is clipped, around 1/4 dose over the course of a week. So, over the week he is vitamin-ed up but not over dosed.

Last edited:

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Thats interesting, Red. Where we are, vitamin D could be an issue, especially for The Beast as she's covered in rugs the whole time too. He skin has gone to pot to be honest, and I've decided to give linseed a go. But I don't think my vet would take me seriously if I started talking about vitamin D. He was confused enough when I was talking about copper (when all the farmers round here give the cows and sheep routine copper supplmentation you'd think the vets would have some clue that there might be an issue for horses too!).

I've got seaweed coming because I think they need the iodine. I wasn't sure because of the iron in seaweed but the hay is low in iodine so I need to do something and I supplement so much copper and zinc, because both grass and hay are a disaster in that regard anyway, that hopefully I'm covered for a sprinkling of seaweed. Fenugreek and mint so they eat up. Marigold and cleavers for magic. Camomile flowers because I swear they are calmer since I started giving them Camomile tea in their food (it's what I had in the cupboard!). And rosehips for treats and vitamin C goodness.

I have some milk thistle ready to go as well.

It's all gone a bit 'erbal nonsense around here ? To add to the chemistry lab that is my forage balancing mineral regime!