Straightness training

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
Hi everyone
I’m really interested in learning more about classical in hand work to help my horse (he’s got various issues so I’m rehabbing to build strength, plus I love the idea of teaching new concepts in hand first). I bought a book on classical long lining, but think I need someone in the flesh to help me ? Someone has recommended “straightness training/ST”. Has anyone tried an instructor who uses this system? What are your thoughts? Thanks

j1ffy

Visit site
I think ‘straightness training’ is standard in-hand work with a good marketing wraparound!

Which part of the country are you in? I’m sure there would be some good recommendations from people on here.

The only in-hand lesson that I’ve had was with Diane Thurman-Baker at a BD camp. She was absolutely fab, even with a complete beginner like me and my then-horse. Would love some more with her and my youngster.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think ‘straightness training’ is standard in-hand work with a good marketing wraparound!

Which part of the country are you in? I’m sure there would be some good recommendations from people on here.

The only in-hand lesson that I’ve had was with Diane Thurman-Baker at a BD camp. She was absolutely fab, even with a complete beginner like me and my then-horse. Would love some more with her and my youngster.
I'd agree but the impression i got is that the bumf is easy to understand if you're not familiar with the idea.

I have had a few in hand lessons with Simon Battram who does clinics in a few places.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I have had a few ST lessons with my previous mare, and also a few with Diane T-B with both my previous mare and current mare. I did enjoy the ST work, and it definitely helped with getting my previous mare to slow down a bit and start to use her body correctly. When I then had my first session with Diane, some of the aids were different. As dressage is my focus, and I can also have ridden dressage oriented lessons with Diane, I have stuck to her methodology now to save confusion for both me and the horse. What I will say though, is that nothing beats having eyes on the ground watching you every so often, so if you can find someone well recommended locally to you that would be the best approach. Many roads lead to Rome and all that..... I have a session booked with Diane next week, and I know she will pick up on little habits that creep in (including postural ones) and that it's always easier when she's commenting about little corrections to be made. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
I have had a few ST lessons with my previous mare, and also a few with Diane T-B with both my previous mare and current mare. I did enjoy the ST work, and it definitely helped with getting my previous mare to slow down a bit and start to use her body correctly. When I then had my first session with Diane, some of the aids were different. As dressage is my focus, and I can also have ridden dressage oriented lessons with Diane, I have stuck to her methodology now to save confusion for both me and the horse. What I will say though, is that nothing beats having eyes on the ground watching you every so often, so if you can find someone well recommended locally to you that would be the best approach. Many roads lead to Rome and all that..... I have a session booked with Diane next week, and I know she will pick up on little habits that creep in (including postural ones) and that it's always easier when she's commenting about little corrections to be made. Hope that helps.
Thank you that’s really helpful. Yes I agree, nothing like eyes on the ground. Sounds like a more dressage focussed trainer is better so the aids are the same

I don’t like mondays

Visit site

Thank you. I wondered if that would be the case. I’m in the East

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Let me know if you'd like the sheet I send to all my saddle fitting customers with a list of groundwork links on it, send me your email address if so, in fact I have to go send out to 6 people right now (sorry for the delay everyone, busy week!).