'strange' breed combination?

bubblensqueak

Visit site
I recently got told by someone online that my welsh sec D cross TB was a very strange mix, and he looked out of proportion, because of said weird breeding. I thought that was a common breed combination, since, as proved by said successful event and dressage horse, make resilient handy horses? any one else got a welsh sec D X Tb? or another 'strange' breed combination that actually makes a good competition horse? amongst the ish and warmbloods?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i think welsh x TB is one of the most useful mixes for amateurs particularly, nothing weird about it! i've known several and the one I had was a fun useful type. Also fond of the connie x TB. the highland x TBs i rode were not as much fun ;) may have been fluke but they had highland stubborn-ness on TB speed legs, hehe

Polos Mum

Visit site
I have see some lovely top end competitive x shires. I think if you put a proper shire in front of event people / dressage people they would die. But the x's can seem to come up with wonderful work attitudes (which goes a long way when competing) if the x gets the physical attributes in

GinaGeo

Visit site
I have a Welsh D x Tb it's a super cross.

I do prefer the Welsh Stallion over a TB Mare version I think they end up a little more refined. But I am probably biased.

He's done dressage, evented and these days does Side Saddle. We've had endless fun. I'd have a Connemara x TB too.

19441868_1121014708003314_1504627451776484093_o.jpg

60254255_2507841862561600_4445352771255795712_n.jpg

bubblensqueak

Visit site
I do prefer the Welsh Stallion over a TB Mare version I think they end up a little more refined. But I am probably biased.
mine is also a welsh stallion over the unraced home bred tb mare, so possibly a chunkier tb? I'm not sure. so I'm also biased!! he's just fab, i was actually very offended when this person said he was ugly and out of proportion! im lead to believe she might have been a little bit jealous, since she had a little riding school loan pony, and perhaps felt a little intimidated by my horse? I'm not sure, either way I know he's gorgeous, and his competition records also prove his capability, so it doesn't matter to me! my boy actually looks very similar to yours!

emilylou

Visit site
I have a welsh D X TB and he is the best little horse. A true schoolmaster who has taken so many kids through pony club and is now a trusted hack for an older lady. Super well built, never lame, barefoot and hardy. When younger he was hunted and very capable jumper. I'd have another without hesitation

dorsetladette

Visit site
I think I saw that someone had a Tennessee walking horse X new forest. And there is a stud local to us that breeds Appaloosa X new forest.

I think TB x welsh is one of the most common crosses going. Very odd comment - OP your possibly right that the person who commented was just a little jealous and couldn't think of anything nice to say.

teddypops

Visit site
I have a D x TB and she is an amazing pony. Will be 30 at the start of the year and she looks like a 12 yo and is still in full work. (Very fast and forward going). It’s actually a common cross. I also have an Exmoor x TB and a Dartmoor x TB.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
My son's horse is by an Anglo-Arab stallion out of a cob mare (she is 50% ID). He has really nice conformation though quite short coupled. He evented to one-star/intermediate and would have been a fantastic pure dressage horse if my son had taken that a bit further as he can both extend and collect with ease. He's a great horse, clever and talented and lots of fun to ride. Horse is now he is 20 years old and rather fat and hairy at the moment but I'm having fun pootling about with him.

A friend has a very nice Clydesdale x TB years ago - that was the sort of horse I intended to buy but ended up with a very characterful Welsh-D :D

MagicMelon

Visit site
I have a PRE x TB that a lot of people give me this face when I tell them ?.

She is the most talented horse and could be FEI GP dressage easily, but her mental attitude (due to said hotness) let's her down a lot.

Ive got a luso x TB so similar. He is actually a fantastic mix IMO - he evented to 1* level with ease and was very successful BS. We also found dressage a struggle, in our case he knew it led onto the fun jumpy bits!

Ive currently got a Cob x TB x Arab which is probably a bit weird, she does look a bit strange conformation wise - she's very forward at the girth so always looks to have a tum on her, is chunky in front but quite light behind.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I know a Dales cross warmblood. Breeders were trying to breed a slightly taller, finer, eventer though he looks like a slightly finer 16.2hh Dales. He's a super boy and carried the vaulting team at WEG at least twice, along with the individual gold medal winner there. He's been retired for a couple of years but continued as a club horse for many years!

SEL

Visit site
My favourite mix! I had one when I was younger and he looked almost araby

The stable next to my little mare has a gelding who is welsh stallion on TB mare and he's lovely looking, not at all out of proportion.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I met a guy in Dumfriesshire who was breeding 'Arabo-Friesians." Yup -- Friesians crossed with Arabs, although most of his weren't straight F1 crosses. He was trying to create more of a type, rather than a random cross, by breeding F1 and F2 Arab-Friesians to other quality F1s and also back to purebred Friesians. They were nice horses. Well put together, lovely movers, seemed friendly. Really pretty. I would have one. He was knowledgeable and thoughtful about his breeding program and knew what he was doing.

Unlike in the US, where it's a fad to cross Friesians with literally anything. Friesian-QH, Friesian-Appaloosa, Friesian-paint, Friesian-Belgian... you name it, someone's done it. A lot of them look weird.

Cowpony

Visit site
I've got a Welsh x KWPN and it's not a great combination. Very difficult to fit a saddle due to her big warmblood shoulder and short Welsh back. I never know which part of her brain I'm going to get either - the opinionated Welsh or the "make me!" warmblood ? Love her to bits though, and she's a great allrounder. A really good jumping pony and tries hard for me in dressage. when she's not trying to take charge.......

doodle

Visit site
We had a surprise foal. Out of a Welsh sec a mare by a Friesian stallion! She turned in to a stunning 14hh Hunter pony with a cracking jump and was really useful. Foal was sec a size when born but same size as mum by 6months. We did worry about joints and growing so quick tho.

irishdraft

Visit site
My liverys pony is American paint x new forest she's a blue roan with white bits in her eyes . She is 13.2 and very chunky with the biggest neck ever seen x

Reactions: TPO

Mildlander

Visit site
I've got a Comtois x TB mare, she's proving to be great cross. Stands at 15/15.1 with working hunter type build. Bought as a happy hacker but is proving to be capable of so much more.
Now she's got the hang of circles she's showing some smart flat work, enjoys jumping but sensible hack and a good doer. Has the broadest chest I've seen on a horse so plenty of heart/lung space but surprisingly not wide to ride, saddle MW-W which is narrower than my ID. And most importantly has a fab personality, loves people, easy to handle etc - think equine Labrador

BBP

Visit site
Welsh B x PRE (well 3/4 PRE and 1/4 welsh b). I haven’t seen that combo anywhere else. Small but Lots of potential in terms of movement and scope. Unfortunately too many soundness issues to be ‘useful’ and a bit of a hot brain.

Welsh D x TB was super common I thought.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Welsh B x PRE (well 3/4 PRE and 1/4 welsh b). I haven’t seen that combo anywhere else. Small but Lots of potential in terms of movement and scope. Unfortunately too many soundness issues to be ‘useful’ and a bit of a hot brain.

Welsh D x TB was super common I thought.
I rode a Welsh x PRE for someone for a bit and she was really nice! I also knew a Welsh x Friesian and he was awesome but sharp!