'strange' breed combination?

palo1

Visit site
We have a fabulous standardbred x cob; pretty plain but can do literally anything and has manners to burn. She is only required to be a gentle hack but we are all deeply jealous of my daughter and many arguments about 'borrowing' her have been had!!

My Arab x Appaloosa is a pretty 'normal' x breed but he is just amazing too. I personally think that arab x anything is pretty nice but a standie cross is a very good idea too. I would prefer that to some TBs available...

TPO

Visit site
I had a Welsh (C I think?) x trotter. She was strong (her neck says it all!) and had a really dirty stop that improved my seat no end! She had a Prophets Thumbmark so was very special ?

I had loads of fun with her; used to race her across grandad's fields against my cousin on his motorbike and would gallop up and down the big field muck heaps as my own Derby Bank before going clear over my Badminton made entirely of pallets and random bits of wood ??

This was us in '94 at a very unsuccessful PC show!

Screenshot_20201113-193459_Gallery.jpg

ETA mum also took a foal off her; she bred her to the arab stallion St. Narreths Gay Dancer and produced Kismet (Cappuccino Dream ??). So she was welsh x trotter x arab. I don't have any decent photos to hand but she was an absolutely stunning wee mareScreenshot_20201113-194643_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
I went to look at a Welsh D x TB and knowing several really nice ones, was terribly disappointed. It had a cob's body and TB legs with the most enormous feet, I mean huge. It also had a huge splint, not surprising really. I can't remember what its head was like as I was looking at its feet all the time!

Sometimes a cross won't work out how you hoped, but that's the luck of the game.

Cloball

Visit site
I rode an Ardennes X Highland who looked like a 16.2 Highland on 13.2 Highland legs. I have also known a Highland X Clydesdale who was looked like a 16.2 tall and wide Highland pony. My pal has an adorable Friesian X ID which shouldn't work but he does he frequently wins side saddle classes and judges all want to take him home.

windand rain

Visit site
I would definitely say she is jealous and doesn't know what makes a good horse. Welsh X TB is a lovely cross. I had a friend bought a clydesdale x arab. Looked like a big heavy arab. I though that was an odd cross and could have been horrendous but wasn't.
after eight.jpgafter eight2.jpg
My clydesdale x Arab He was the most amazing eventer and was a superb jumper. The photos are more than 50 years old so please excuse the no hat and odd fashion

Attachments

• after eight2.jpg
    after eight2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 3

Orangehorse

Visit site
I went to a dressage clinic with an american trainer a few years ago and Friesian horses were discussed. She said that some saddlebred horses had been introduced to breed a lighter riding horse rather than driving type. The saddlebred has a good temperament and has the same upheaded conformation, rather than a TB with its long and low and galloping build. I guess the Arab x Friesian is on the same lines.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
The Arabo-Friesian breeder I met was very into his competitive driving. He competed his stallion and some of the mares, and there were photos of him driving four-in-hand. He was also running a program teaching people with disabilities how to drive (not the Arabo-Friesans...he had a stable-full of less hot things for that job), which was why I was talking to him, and had designed wheelchair-friendly carts. I'm not going to lie... I was secretly more interested in the Arabo-Friesians than the story I was meant to be doing. They were so stunning.

Arabs and TBs cross well with lots of horses, hence them being the classic breeds for refining or increasing genetic diversity of other breeds.

A fellow boarder at my barn in CO had a Friesian-PRE. Beautiful mare, but bonkers. All of the hotness of both breeds, and very little of the trainability. You could not have paid me to get on that. The owner bought her as a two-year old to bring on, and I don't think she was too keen, either.

This surpises me. I knew some people who were serious about their Fjords, and they told me that the Fjord studbook takes a dim view of outcrossing. If you breed a registered Fjord to something that isn't a Fjord (and someone finds out), your horse will be kicked out of the studbook, and none of its progeny can ever be registered again. One friend who had a cute little Fjord mare considered breeding her, but she wasn't that keen on another purebred Fjord -- wanted something a bit bigger and leggier -- and she didn't want her mare booted out of the studbook. So she bought a Connie-X instead.

You don't see many Fjord-crosses.
Apart from this one!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/513586275752906/permalink/1045875845857277/

Added Instagram link https://www.instagram.com/milagro_i..._8fMMPS_oEIx5TX9Iv_0lmlAWuWVPn6qtlDvnOIN0QBEs

Caol Ila

Visit site
She is so pretty. I love Arabs and Arab crosses. My next horse could easily be a purebred Arab or an Arab crossed with something.

Saddlebreds can be awesome or bonkers. One of the craziest, most screwed up horses I knew was an Arab-Saddlebred cross. His owner was a skilled horsewoman and the kindest, most sympathetic rider you've ever met, but she had to accept him as a lawn ornament because he was too dangerous to ride. I knew a few other nutty Saddlebred crosses as well, and some purebreds. They're hot and sensitive, so they're easily screwed up for life by bad handling, and the wrong genes expressed in a cross with something else hot can go very wrong.

Caol Ila

Visit site
He's lovely. I would have him.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have crossbred Fjords 'under the table' or have unregistered horses, so who cares. But Fjord-crosses are uncommon because the breed registry are very grumpy about it.

scruffyponies

Visit site
My best looking and most intelligent pony is a 14hh welsh x hackney. Really flashy and beautifully put together. He gives the impression of being a nutter, without ever doing anything wrong - and when it matters he trusts you completely, and will walk through fire for you.

Best example of that was when the axle of his cart hit a hidden obstacle in the grass so hard that it ripped the end out of both traces, sending cart and driver nose first into the grass. He shot off, of course, but stopped dead no further than 20 yards down the track, sideways and snorting. As I picked myself up and walked towards him I could see his instinct telling him to flee, but he shook it off and stood calmly whilst I sorted out his various broken straps and checked him over. I swear he'd have been Ok if I a had put him straight back to.

J&S

Visit site
I owned a welsh x hackney pony too, you could be describing her! She had been a JC/JA jumping pony but had been over jumped so I got her from Ralph Coakes very cheaply. Most sensitive pony but a real delight.

The coloured mare on the left has a three generation pedigree and is ID/TB x Arab/TB, very pretty, lovely paces and a wonderful temperament.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have a clydesdale / Irish draught not sure he is mind I think there’s some welsh D in there are well he’s got too much knee action .

siennamum

Visit site
I think Rusty is the most unusual breeding - ISH x Lusitano x arab.

In so many respects he is the most wonderful horse, smart, friendly, kind and energetic. He is also super hot, a worrywort, gets in a tizz & can be really silly and never ever forgets anything you do wrong. he also has odd & unhelpful conformation which has rendered him retired by 13. I am sticking to ID x TB in future!

Attachments

• rusty.jpg
    rusty.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 29
  • rusty2.jpg
    rusty2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 29

Billyandme

Visit site
My 1st horse was Welsh section D x Anglo Arab. Not ideal for a novice owner but he was my horse of a lifetime. Smart, tough, quirky. Fantastic hunter but also incredibly spooky, could buck for Great Britain and was incredibly intelligent. He had his last day hunting aged 21 and was with me to his end at 25. Fast forward several years and horses and I bought a Quarter horse x Arab. A recognised breed in some countries known as a Quarab. He looked very much like my original 1st horse. Huge mistake. He was 7 when I bought him and he had 2 previous owners. The breeder and the lass I bought him from. Quirky was an understatement. He cost me thousands in vet bills. He was bad tempered, constant health problems and totally unreliable. The Quarab breed is known for their honest and willing temprement. Nobody told him that.

gryff

Visit site
There's a girl nearby who bred her beautiful Fjord to a Thoroughbred stallion. The foal is magnificent.
We had a fjord cross Welsh pony on our yard, too. He was a very useful sort with a lovely nature.

Cob Life

Visit site
I’d love a Welsh x TB! I’m a huge welshie fan but a lot of them are too small for me as a long term horse. The neighbours horse that I’d buy if she ever comes up for sale is welsh x wb

BBP

Visit site
This thread got me looking at pre crosses and Hispano Arabs...not that I’m looking to replace BBP! But in my browsing I came across the saddest advert and now can’t get her out of my mind. Really pretty mare, 5 years old, just the worst photos and video, shouts lame lame the whole time. She’s on ehorses.

ihatework

Visit site
I’d love a Welsh x TB! I’m a huge welshie fan but a lot of them are too small for me as a long term horse. The neighbours horse that I’d buy if she ever comes up for sale is welsh x wb

Don’t rule it out!
Obviously most aren’t big but one I sold this year was about 17.1hh. I knew a horse many years ago called Master Diligence who went round Badminton and was at least 16.2hh if not more. Lisa Marie Ferguson’s team/Olympic horse, Honour Me, is 17hh+

spacefaer

Visit site
Friend of mine used to have a 17.2hh TBx Sec D - he started off eventing then she did dressage to (I think) PSG.

I used to produce Welsh x TBs for what was then the JRN eventing market. They were great fun, awesome jumpers but sometimes brighter than their teenage riders ?

One of my WPBRs was out of a section C mare by a Cleveland Bay x TB colt. An unintentional cross (he jumped the neighbour's fence!) but he turned out to be a really useful, straightforward RC allrounder.

One of the nicest crosses I've come across for average amateur riders is a TB x Exmoor. A good size, equable temperament and excellent easy keepers

chaps89

Visit site
Have in the past had a Welsh (probably c rather than d) x tb and she was a fabulous pony, about 14.3hh. Current horse is ID x cob (dam) x PBA sire (registered as 33% Arab) , has finished up about 15hh and is like a lightweight TURBO cob - I'm not sure what her breeder was intending but she is super! Leg in each corner but default mode is forward. Have seen others by the same breeder by the same sire and they all look the same.
I do hope there is someone like this breeder about next time I'm looking.
I really want a sportier native type.

My share horse is 75% lusitano 25% quarter horse :)