Straw pellets

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I like them. A friend's horse eats them though.

I prefer the rapestraw pellets because they're rather bitter so less likely to be eaten, and seem just a bit better. They're easy to source here, not sure about in the UK.

The straw pellets are a bit dusty at the moment but seemingly every type of pellet is when it's so dry. A sprinkle of water can help.

Last edited:

Rasadi

Visit site
It so dry in France that even the wood pellets are dust. The straw pellets are half the price of wood pellets so may give them a go

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've been using Strawmax pellets underneath a bed of big flake shavings and am happy with them. Horse sampled one or 2 but decided they weren't tasty.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I use straw max under the shavings , H will eat them if you don’t cover them up with shavings the others don’t eat them .
H also eats chopped rape .

Cowpony

Visit site
I use them when I can't get wood pellets. The horses do eat them if they are left on the surface, so I just mix them in with old bedding and that sorts it.

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
Not used them as horse bedding but as cat litter and I prefer to pay the extra for the wood pellets. I find them a lot darker and not as absorbant. Also wondering what I'm going to do this year as £230 last year to £400 this year is bonkers!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I just wasn’t totally sold on them.
Dusty and a grotty colour. They were very easy to muck out and I took very little out but I like my beds to look clean so they weren’t for me.

Rasadi

Visit site
One of mine eats the wood pellets if they are not watered properly so I guess I will have to do the same with straw

MickeyFinn22

Visit site
Do you put water on straw pellets? We had our delivery yesterday and I was surprised to see a 15kg bag was a lot smaller than I thought. I was under the impression you don’t add water and they do just break down but I’ve just seen a strawmax post putting water on them? Can anyone clarify? I ordered mine from Agripellets Warwickshire.

MickeyFinn22

Visit site
Oh heck. Could be worth ringing them. We ordered them 21st September and they came the other day but it did take a little bit of chasing.

ah right I see ok thank you! I think I will see what they are like dry :)

Annagain

Visit site
Can I just ask how long your Agripellets order took to arrive? Ordered mine 4 weeks ago and still waiting :(

BTW I don't water, but I use them under Equinola in the soggy patches

Mine arrived within a few days but that was in August. I haven't tried them yet as the horse are still out 24/7. I was going to clean my stable out and put a fresh bed in but maybe I'll mix them in with some of the old wood pellets just to discourage the munchies.