Stressed

Visit site
When i got Prince in august i advertised my mare for full loan, the part time loan at the time said she would happily take her on for a year and asked me to take the advert down. So i put all of my money and time into getting prince healthy again. I don't make much and work double full time shifts to pay for it. 2 months in her loan asks to buy her, but for £1000 less than what shes worth, i said no. She says okay, no worries. You can guess what happened next.
2 months later my mare has lami, an unpaid livery bill, no hay and loan has rented another field and bought a horse to put in it, beside mine. Lovely.
Im aware that its no ones fault but mine really but its left me with a terrible choice.

One has to go.

I cannot afford two livery bills aswell as prince's large feed bill and her treatment for lami. I have no idea what to do. This has all been dumped on me today.

Do i sell my young riding horse for a fast buck and keep a retired veteran?
Find a home for Prince?
Put Prince to sleep?

I simply don't know, its not immediately urgent but i cant keep both for long.

No really point but i needed a rant as I'm so confused.

be positive

Visit site
I have followed your story with Prince and the difference you have made to his life you do not deserve this to happen, not sure what advice to offer but just think your loaner has acted very badly and hope she helps put things right, she certainly should not be leaving your mare in that state and you footing the bill did she not have insurance for vets bills as they should be covered.
Whatever you decide you have given Prince a chance to enjoy life in a way he had not known don't feel bad if he is the one to go.

Clodagh

Visit site
You need to be cold blooded and think what you want. Try not to think what anyone else wants!
If you have Prince PTS he has had a lovely autumn of his life with you, he looks fantastic and it won't worry him in the least. You could then keep your horse you can ride.
That is what I would do, if you keep Prince and get rid of your riding horse - for peanuts probably, this time of year - you will be taking a huge step back for yourself, IMO.

pansy

Visit site
I'm afraid I have no advice to offer but feel for you - I have not read all of the posts about Prince but you have been dong a great job & it's going to be a hard decision (hugs) - just a quick thought as I'm writing this & don't know if it could be an option - do you know anyone that want a companion for a while ??

Visit site
Im going to try a few options. I will offer part loan for the mare when she is well, that will cover her livery.
I will not let him down. If he found a home it would be on a permanent loan to a place i could trust, visit, have picture updates ect.
Im angry for no reason. I took him on, its my problem, i shouldnt have laid eveything on someones word.
I love Prince, i do, more than my mare but i let her down too, shes young, impressionable and now lame, fat and unfit.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
But surely the loaner is liable for the livery bill, so get the yard to send it to her as the mare was on loan to her, things are always different when you have slept on it and think things through.

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
What a nightmare for you, it's a really hard decision I don't know what I would do TBH. If I could manage it financially probably get a sharer for the mare and then you still get to ride her as well as looking after Prince who seems to mean a lot to you, if not then you have a really difficult choice to make.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
What a nightmare especially after all your hard work I'm gutted for you :( . If other options fail Prince has a great backstory and a following on here - maybe one of the charities might be able to help as would be good PR especially if we could all donate or something in his name?

texas

Visit site
Get your mare sound again then find her a new loaner.

Btw, from experience, even if you don't claim for lami, it'll still be excluded at renewal as treatment was received for it. So you might as well claim, every little helps!

zigzag

Visit site
How bad is the lami? You can't make a decision till you know how bad it is and what effect it has? Plus the mare will be sold for peanuts if she has had lami

Visit site
How bad is the lami? You can't make a decision till you know how bad it is and what effect it has? Plus the mare will be sold for peanuts if she has had lami

The vet didnt say how bad it was. Just to bute and boxrest for 10 days then slowly introduce grass. Needless to say she was in for 10 days until yesterday. I went up the yard an hour ago and she had been put out into the acre field. All the hay and feed has been taken. Shes got nothing.

Oh Jess I could cry for you. I'm so sorry, just what you do NOT need. Lots of hugs, for you, your mare and Prince.

I've done enough crying for everyone on this forum.

Visit site
Just updating you.
Rspca have returned, good but not good enough was the verdict. They want the vet back to decided whether he is put to sleep or not. Id like to add this is nothing to do with my financial situation, but a pre planned visit by the rspca. Vet will call me later and probably visit next wednesday.

Adopter

Visit site
Oh Jess, what a terrible week for you, of course he is not good enough yet, you cannot undo years of malnourishment and neglect in a few weeks.

Hopefully your vet will be supportive in helping make the right decision.

Sending hugs

Visit site
Not enough weight gain in the month since the last vet check. The vet will decide whether to sign him off of their records or pts on the rspcas orders. Its just a matter of how much he weighs on the day. Vet is going to call me back and explain it better and i will post what she says, the rspca also said they have left a note so il take a pic of that when i finish work.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Not enough weight gain in the month since the last vet check. The vet will decide whether to sign him off of their records or pts on the rspcas orders. Its just a matter of how much he weighs on the day. Vet is going to call me back and explain it better and i will post what she says, the rspca also said they have left a note so il take a pic of that when i finish work.

Really? I'm amazed. Looking at your blog the horse shows massive improvement between the beginning and end of September.

The RSPCA can't order the horse to be put to sleep - only suggest to your vet that it may be a course of action to consider.

I'm staggered.

Last edited:

doriangrey

Visit site
But you've done wonders for Prince, why on earth would they suggest that, what's wrong with them?! It takes time for improvement, he's not going to bounce back overnight.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
oh jess, like you haven't got enough to deal with right now without the RSPCA sticking their oar in! bloody typical that they are now throwing their weight around but didn't consider him worthy of their time when you asked for their help.x

Pippity

Visit site
I've got nothing useful to add, but I didn't want to read and run. You have all my sympathy at this point. After everything you've done for Prince, to have this fall on you is so ridiculous it's painful.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Jess I know that some posters on here were very generous with feed and equipment etc. Do any of them live near you??